Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Alex Trebek has stage 4 pancreatic cancer

Topics of general interest that just don't fit anywhere else.
mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Alex Trebek has stage 4 pancreatic cancer

Post by mtburb » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:29 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... cInGyxCY9k

This is very bad news. Usually, there's no coming back from stage 4. And if the "no coming back" does apply in this stage-Jeopardy! may possibly be going off the air and if that happens, probably so will Wheel of Fortune.

They've been 7 PM hour staples across the Michigan area - on WDIV, WILX, WPBN/WTOM and WTOL, and since 1992 on WNEM and WWMT.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

Deleted User 14896

Re: Alex Trebek has stage 4 pancreatic cancer

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:26 pm

mtburb wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:29 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... cInGyxCY9k

This is very bad news. Usually, there's no coming back from stage 4. And if the "no coming back" does apply in this stage-Jeopardy! may possibly be going off the air and if that happens, probably so will Wheel of Fortune.
First off, sorry to hear about this. I don't think Jeopardy is going away. A couple weeks ago, during an interview, he mentioned a few people that would be good replacements for him. Maybe he's known for a little while that this was on the horizon. Here's a link to one of the articles I found by googling:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/ ... 949280002/

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:35 pm

Sorry to hear that, It’s a terrible disease, My first Wife had Breast Cancer and passed in ‘95, It’s tough to see someone go that way. I hope and am praying for the best for Alex.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:01 pm

Terrible news. Mr. Trebek is a very talented man and has done a phenomenal job with Jeopardy. I am definitely pulling for a miraculous recovery for him!

If he were to pass suddenly, I presume Jeopardy would air reruns until a new host could be found. Jeopardy definitely will NOT be going away!!! Jeopardy and Wheel make a TON of money for Sony and remain some of the highest rated weeknight shows in syndication.

Other game shows Alex Trebek has hosted dating back to the 70's:
- Double Dare (not to be confused with the Nickelodeon game show of the same name);
- Wizard of Odds;
- High Rollers (the late 70's to 1980-ish NBC version of this show was phenomenal);
- Battle Stars (Hollywood Squares knockoff that aired on NBC around '83);
- Classic Concentration (a show that should've been brought back with new episodes by now).

There may be others; the above list only consists of the shows of which I'm aware.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:23 pm

If the worse happens then the show should just end. New hosts just don't have any appeal to me. When Bob Barker retired, the Price is Right should have ended. Nothing against Drew Carey but the show just isn't the same.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:23 pm

From Aug 2018
Legendary game show host Alex Trebek may be retiring from “Jeopardy!” soon.

Cue the signature “Jeopardy!” “Think!” song to allow some time for that to sink in.

During an interview with TMZ's Harvey Levin on Fox News Channel's “OBJECTified,” Trebek said there’s a “50/50 [chance] and a little less” that he will return to the popular, long-running game show after his contract expires in 2020.
I am sure Sony has been thinking about this for a bit.

Terrible cancer that ends painfully.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:44 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Terrible news. Mr. Trebek is a very talented man and has done a phenomenal job with Jeopardy. I am definitely pulling for a miraculous recovery for him!

If he were to pass suddenly, I presume Jeopardy would air reruns until a new host could be found. Jeopardy definitely will NOT be going away!!! Jeopardy and Wheel make a TON of money for Sony and remain some of the highest rated weeknight shows in syndication.

Other game shows Alex Trebek has hosted dating back to the 70's:
- Double Dare (not to be confused with the Nickelodeon game show of the same name);
- Wizard of Odds;
- High Rollers (the late 70's to 1980-ish NBC version of this show was phenomenal);
- Battle Stars (Hollywood Squares knockoff that aired on NBC around '83);
- Classic Concentration (a show that should've been brought back with new episodes by now).

There may be others; the above list only consists of the shows of which I'm aware.
I recall him also doing CBC's "Reach For The Top" as well, though that was back in the 60's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GukacRyYeMU

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:40 am

This is terrible news and I'm sure all of Trebek's fans wish him only the best in his battle.
If the worse happens then the show should just end. New hosts just don't have any appeal to me. When Bob Barker retired, the Price is Right should have ended. Nothing against Drew Carey but the show just isn't the same.
As far as ending the show in the event of his demise or retirement, that would be utterly ridiculous! Many aren't aware that the show originally came into being with Art Fleming as host. The contestants are as much identified with the show as is the host!

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:48 pm

My sister died at 45 Mar. 19,2000,three months after she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer ,which has a less than 10% five-year survival rate .(Typically,patients live about six months after the diagnosis .) Plus,fellow Canadian lad Trebek is 78,which further worsens his already bleak prognosis .

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:23 am

Jimmy Carter pulled through impossible odds, but as a man of God, he had some help there. IF they could have caught Trebek at stage 1 or 2, the Whipple surgery would have gave him a fighting chance for 5 more years, but he's going to need some special experimental cancer drugs, and he could get 6 years instead of 6 months. God Bless Alex.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:43 pm

WOHO wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:23 am
Jimmy Carter pulled through impossible odds, but as a man of God, he had some help there. IF they could have caught Trebek at stage 1 or 2, the Whipple surgery would have gave him a fighting chance for 5 more years, but he's going to need some special experimental cancer drugs, and he could get 6 years instead of 6 months. God Bless Alex.
That happened to my father-in-law. He had an opportunity for whipple, but by the time the hospital got around to it, it was far too large/advanced.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:04 am

Sorry to hear that Organman95, it can only be done in the early stages, and my friend lasted 8 years, not 8 months. And, strangely enough, the chemo that worked on him was the breast cancer chemo regimen, so having a doctor try unconventional treatments can be a plus in Stage IV.

As I watched Jeopardy! earlier this week, I noticed that Alex did have a pronounced weight-loss, but hind-sight is 20/20.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:57 am

While pancreatic cancer is still fatal in most cases, it's not the automatic short-term death sentence it used to be. We hear a lot more about alternative treatments that either didn't exist or weren't widely known just 10-20 years ago. Mr. Trebek certainly has the financial resources to seek the best possible treatments.

Cancer Centers of America, from what I've read and heard, has earned a reputation for combining traditional and alternative treatments. Part of their regimen is a psychological approach designed to strengthen the patient's will to fight the disease. A positive mindset can be a powerful tool. It sounds as if Alex has already committed himself to the fight, which is a good sign. Having lost my mom to Stage 4 lung cancer 34 years ago, my prayers are with anyone facing such a struggle!

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic