Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

May I suggest one more format change on the FM dial? (Hint: it involves an urban station)

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

May I suggest one more format change on the FM dial? (Hint: it involves an urban station)

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:05 pm

Hot 107.5 has been a terrible biller for its entire existence. According to third party sources, the station's annual billing is estimated at only about $2 million. To put that number into perspective, most Detroit FM stations bill between $5 million and $10 million annually.

The station often earns great ratings with African American men between the ages of 18 and 34, but usually, WJLB outperforms it in this category. In all other categories, Hot 107.5 usually has mediocre to terrible ratings.

More importantly, WJLB has much better 25-54 numbers than 107.5 and far superior billing.

Hard-edged hip-hop has been on a downswing for the better part of the past decade. In fact, I'd say hip-hop in general has been on a downswing. There's plenty of rhythmic product crossing over to the CHR charts, but this stuff by & large only contains superficial elements of hip-hop and was tailor made for a pop music audience.

People have been clamoring for more Motown...in Motown...for quite some time.

Mix 92.3 and Kiss 105.9 have largely removed music older than 25 years from their playlists.

My proposal? Simple. Bring a format Urban One is already doing in Philly and Atlanta to the Motor City! Put it on 107.5. It's called "Classix." Given 107.5's music identity during its WGPR-FM years, I cannot think of a format that would do a better job of recognizing 107.5's heritage than this one.

Here's the Philly station's online stream:
https://classixphilly.com/listen-live/

Deleted User 14935

Re: May I suggest one more format change on the FM dial? (Hint: it involves an urban station)

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:16 pm

I like it, Great idea, But does Urban One have the smarts to do it with WGPR, As You said the station has a heritage and would be a perfect fit. Maybe someone should suggest this for 107.5

Mega Hertz

Re: May I suggest one more format change on the FM dial? (Hint: it involves an urban station)

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:41 am

I like that idea. For more than one reason.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

radiojunkie2002

Post by radiojunkie2002 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:07 am

Makes great sense. I hope this happens , it could be just Just like 99.9 was about a year ago.

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:41 pm

Hip-hop ratings declining ? Maybe people are awakening to the fact that you can't spell "crap" without rap !!!!!!

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:15 pm

I totally agree, MW. Motown, 70s and 80s R&B. Heck, someone should bring back Mojo for nights (Charles Johnson, not Tom Carbello from 95.5)...lol

Chris1980

Post by Chris1980 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:45 pm

How does the Classix format compare to Soul 101.5 in Cincy, or what Urban One was doing before with Soul 99.9 in Detroit?

I have to agree, if there's any other city on earth besides Philly that could make a station like this work, it's Detroit, especially with the Urban ACs playing less and less classic soul. I used to love WGPR's Old School Saturdays before Radio One took over, and while an Urban One corporate version wouldn't be nearly as quirky, it would still fill a musical void.

LouPerry

Post by LouPerry » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:06 am

I agree with you. The problem for D is lack of talent to make the format work,

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic