Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

State of the Union Address

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Y M Ionhere

Re: State of the Union Address

Post by Y M Ionhere » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:41 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:30 pm
I'm not commenting on support for or against the President, but do we really think the delivery of a SOTU address guarantees a re-election? I've always believed that actions speak louder than words, so do you think that what he "said" on one evening overrides anything he's "done", or is it his actions that determine his re-electibility (is that a word?)?

I understand that his speech may reflect what he's done 364 days a year, but if that were the case, I would be more comfortable making a statement on his potential next term based on that, instead of based on the consensus of his speech. For the record, last night's speech didn't change anything about my opinion of him or the state of the nation.

I've known great businesspeople to give awful speeches, but lead great companies through great things, yet I've known some true assholes to give great speeches but not be able to lead worth a damn. My question isn't addressing whether you like Trump and his policies or not, rather if you think the speech alone truly reflects if he will be re-elected. Your thoughts?
I think it clearly laid out his policies and what they are based on. He isnt a poetic or intellectual speaker. He definitely is rough around the edges and a bit stumbly with his words. But now we understand where he is coming from. I dont think it will affect re-election because partisanship is too rampant and stubborn. People hated him from the get-go and are scared to challenge their biases. I get it. Im guilty of that at times too. I feel the same way about certain politicians, so i know. The detractors will still make excuses. ButI think he finally showed substance. He explained specifically why he does what he does. Many people will never care. Theyll stick to their anti-Trump agenda. I think, however, that he actually sounded like he knew what he was doing. Finally. I think people will still vote along party lines-or against parties. But if they listen to what he said, theyll oppose him for a different reason: because he is nothing like they originally thought and because he thoroughly destroyed all their arguments about him.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:06 pm

I find it amusing that he insists we would be at war with NK if he was not elected, but he was the one egging Kim on and enraging him.
🙄

Durr Rocket Man

Music is my life.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:36 pm

Turns out he was just as full of shit last night as he usually is... Even the Sherrif of El Paso is calling him a liar...

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/05/69034525 ... on-address

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:02 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:36 pm
Turns out he was just as full of shit last night as he usually is... Even the Sherrif of El Paso is calling him a liar...

It turns out that a waitress, Wicked Felina, was an illegal alien. She was always flirting with the American boys in Rosa's Cantina, a well known Bar and Grill close to the border in El Paso, TX. It led to at least two killings, and at least one incident of horse thievery. The Wall would keep illegals like Wicked Felina and their trail of crime back over in Juarez, rather than working without a Green Card in El Paso. They even made a song about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UVVS5-9HvA

About Rosa's Cantina:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... Texas.html

I would assume that "El Paso" by Marty Robbins is a prominent Juke Box favorite at Rose's Cantina. Kind of like "Old Time Rock and Roll" by Bob Seger on the Juke Box at Legs Inn in Cross Village.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:40 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:36 pm

TC, NPR is the largest supplier of fake news, I just can’t believe you fall for the fake news machine called NPR, And people actually donate money to NPR just to hear more fake news. What a shame.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:17 pm

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:33 pm

How far to the right does one have to be to think “NPR is one of the largest suppliers of fake news”? Lmao

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:08 am

Every political program that’s on NPR and PBS are always leaning to the left, Never do I hear any right wing view on both networks as far as I’m concerned they can go Commerical and stop begging for money from their listeners. And as far as fake news just tune in and really listen to what’s going on with both networks. Read between the lines that’s all I’m saying.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:22 am

Lol you don’t like their programming so it’s fake news?? I understand they may lean left compared to your views “as far as you’re concerned”, but that doesn’t make them fake news. If you need an echo chamber to be satisfied with your news, that’s not exactly reliable. NPR is known as a very reputable news source.

And even if that weren’t true, it would do everyone some good to broaden their views and take in some different viewpoints. Half of the Americans holding other viewpoints on the other side of the spectrum aren’t enemies. Terrorists are enemies. Russians are enemies. Democrats or republicans are not.

Remember, unflattering news =\= fake news.

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:25 am

It’s really not so much their point of view but the exaggerated stories and the countinued crying for money, It just seems like every time I tune in it’s we need money, Always a fund raiser is on the air, It’s pledge time again, Hell they should just change the name of both networks how about National Panhandlers Radio and Panhandlers Broadcasting Service and here’s another thing The Christian broadcasters are equally as bad every one of these listener supported stations should just simply go commercial and maybe someday they will be forced to do so.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:14 am

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:22 am
Lol you don’t like their programming so it’s fake news?? I understand they may lean left compared to your views “as far as you’re concerned”, but that doesn’t make them fake news. If you need an echo chamber to be satisfied with your news, that’s not exactly reliable. NPR is known as a very reputable news source.

And even if that weren’t true, it would do everyone some good to broaden their views and take in some different viewpoints. Half of the Americans holding other viewpoints on the other side of the spectrum aren’t enemies. Terrorists are enemies. Russians are enemies. Democrats or republicans are not.

Remember, unflattering news =\= fake news.
Russians are enemies? Did you tell Obama this when he made bad nuclear deals with them and said "after my re-election, Ill have more flexibility"? Then again, he also made deals with Iran, who I consider an enemy, a country that has vowed destruction of the west. Russians might be the enemy...but I dont think they are the biggest one. And what does that make our former President, who had allowed them to get involved in our defense? Or giving nuclear power to radical, terror-heavy Iran? Remember-terrorists are enemies, in your own words. Its treason. And the entire Democratic party was on board with these meetings. So excuse me if I think the Democratic party are indeed the enemy nowadays, using your very own examples.
Has Trump given nukes to N. Korea? Has he allowed the pudgy dictator to inspect our weapons? Not that im aware of. And theres your difference.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:02 am

My non-partisan comment has nothing to do with Obama. But if what you said is true, that's also inexcusable. My comment also has nothing to do with Trump or if he has done fewer "bad" things. It has everything to do with the state of division amongst ourselves drawn down party lines, where anyone liberal is made out to be an enemy by their fellow conservative Americans, or anyone conservative is made out to be an enemy by their fellow liberal Americans.

My post isn't a discussion about our President or the beef anyone may have with "the other party". It's a discussion about US.

The opposing viewpoint is not going away. How are you going to learn to get along with them, because that's the only option for our country to return to something less volatile. It's not going to happen by one political side getting their way completely. So how are you going to get along with them? Pretend they don't exist? Call everything they say "fake news"? Blame their predecessors forever? Kill 'em?

What's your party's role in this? (When I say "you", I'm not addressing any one person individually, so please don't take offense or feel that I'm cornering you, because I'm not. I just think everyone needs to better closely examine their own roles in our country's current dysfunction.)

And before anyone accuses me of being a "libtard" or a "rePUBICan", I show no loyalty or alliance to either. Both sides are fucked.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:01 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:02 am
My non-partisan comment has nothing to do with Obama. But if what you said is true, that's also inexcusable. My comment also has nothing to do with Trump or if he has done fewer "bad" things. It has everything to do with the state of division amongst ourselves drawn down party lines, where anyone liberal is made out to be an enemy by their fellow conservative Americans, or anyone conservative is made out to be an enemy by their fellow liberal Americans.

My post isn't a discussion about our President or the beef anyone may have with "the other party". It's a discussion about US.

The opposing viewpoint is not going away. How are you going to learn to get along with them, because that's the only option for our country to return to something less volatile. It's not going to happen by one political side getting their way completely. So how are you going to get along with them? Pretend they don't exist? Call everything they say "fake news"? Blame their predecessors forever? Kill 'em?

What's your party's role in this? (When I say "you", I'm not addressing any one person individually, so please don't take offense or feel that I'm cornering you, because I'm not. I just think everyone needs to better closely examine their own roles in our country's current dysfunction.)

And before anyone accuses me of being a "libtard" or a "rePUBICan", I show no loyalty or alliance to either. Both sides are fucked.
Bi-partisanship? What’s that?

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:16 am

El Paso, Texass! Yup. Next destination for Trump’s flying circus.
And THESE teleprompted tall tales will no doubt be a typical Trump double down on the bull shit he was selling about El Paso during his SOTU act. The difference is - the people of El Paso have already called out his dishonest crap about their proud city.
Maybe the fact checking sheriff will run him out of town! Meanwhile Beto’s beatin’ Trump’s time. The hometown political star is holding his own rally down the street. Wonder if someone will float the embarrassing Trump Baby Balloon overhead?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic