Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

YouTube is listening to me

A place to discuss broadband, streaming video, cable, and satellite services (not programming). Bitch about your crappy cable, satellite or streaming video provider here! This is also the place to talk about channel line-ups, packages, and special offers.
stopnswop2

Re: YouTube is listening to me

Post by stopnswop2 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:46 pm

I definitely don't Google these songs either.

For example, as recently as last night.

"All By Myself" by Eric Carmen was playing on 98.7 The Breeze,
And minutes later the song pops up in my YouTube recommended feed.

I have never looked that song up on YouTube nor listened to it on YouTube. I don't like the song actually

Music is my life.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:49 am

I was listening to Dave Graveline's Into Tomorrow podcast on my phone. He was talking about how Android listeners hate it whenever he says Hey Google. Sure enough the Google app on my phone launched as soon as he said it. Guess he made his point. :razz

Likewise I was watching a YouTube video on my phone about funny Google commands. Every time the phone's mic heard Hey Google from its own speaker the app would interrupt the video and launch itself. The fix is to disable Google voice input, although I'm sure Google retains the ability to access the phone's hardware whether or not voice input is actually enabled (it is their operating system after all).

Modern technology can be very useful, but like anything else it comes at a price. Anyone with a smartphone should assume that the camera and mic could be active at any given time. That's not tin-foil-hat....it's just common sense.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:22 am

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:49 am

Modern technology can be very useful, but like anything else it comes at a price. Anyone with a smartphone should assume that the camera and mic could be active at any given time. That's not tin-foil-hat....it's just common sense.

Bwahahaha... and then there is T.A.O. /C.N.O. Tin-foil? Nope, just a governmental agency, set-up by Obama, that hi-jacks shipments and hot-rods devices. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_ ... operations.

They're not supposed to mess with our routers but...

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/12/3 ... _of_light/

...and it's not just your phones. :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_ANT_c ... OUTH-I.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_ANT_c ... MASTER.jpg

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:03 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:16 pm
I know it sounds very tinfoil-hat-ish, and while some may say "if I'm doing nothing wrong, I shouldn't care," it is still wrong. I don't want uncontrolled data about me floating around the internet. If we let it do that now, it becomes normalized, and it could ramp up to something worse. I guess I'm more concerned about that than I am about the specific data it collects.
Heck, a lot of what used to fall into "conspiracy theory" category is simply "normal practice" now. Corporations are the new Nazis. As I often say, "WHAT privacy??" Facebook. I'm on it, I despise it, but it's the only way to contact a number of people. I'm >< that close to deleting my accounts on FB, Google and many other "draconian" sites.However, it's easier said than done for many. But it really doesn't surprise me that apps are spying on people like this. IMO, it *is* wrong, but, let's face it, CORPORATIONS write our laws and pay Congress to pass them, and you damn well know it's not for OUR benefit, and never is. The problem with America is that these corporations should have been regulated to prevent this crap LONG AGO, but neither party is going to stomp on the hands that feed them. They've found a lucrative career in screwing their constituents over, and they're not about to derail their gravy train.

I find this behavior truly disgusting. How Americans can not be totally pissed off at both parties at this point is beyond me.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Deleted User 15475

Post by Deleted User 15475 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:25 pm

The Breeze has gone to radio hell, if I want something to sooth me I suppose youtube will do.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:27 am

Then why not just call it 'MeTube'?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:55 am

I love Alexa's reaction when I tell her "Hey Alexa! I just farted." Seriously, give it a try for those of you who own an Amazon smart speaker. It's hilarious.

There is also an Alexa skill called "big fart."

The only time I'll have an issue with data sharing by big tech is if it results in telemarketer phone calls, heaps of junk mail, or salesmen showing up at my front door. I've seen zero evidence of the first two. The third item is more interesting. On two occasions when I searched broadband bundle deals on company web sites - once for Comcast and on a separate occasion for WideOpenWest - I had salesmen show up at my front door within 24 hours. Of course, to see which services are available, each web site asks the user to input a street address. I'm sure that info immediately got dispatched to salespeople. I've never had that happen for any other product or service I've researched online.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:36 pm

If you ever want to put an end to all this, vpn your phone to a EU location and it all stops.

This is also getting an update...

https://gdpr.eu/what-is-gdpr/

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:39 pm

If it gives you about a second or so of static noise, or even something that you just don't understand what it is saying, just say 'gesundheit', and see what happens.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic