All accepted registrations through July 14 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

WLEW on-air mispoken words

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
bobhuge

Re: WLEW on-air mispoken words

Post by bobhuge » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:35 pm

farmer161 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:48 pm
This is funny. My favorite was when the part time news girl at WCUZ in Grand Rapids tried to do sports. She referred to it as "the N, double A, CP basketball tournament". Umm, almost.
hmmm....thought provoking....

bobhuge

Post by bobhuge » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:37 pm

R Bedell wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:07 pm
I listen to WLEW daily. Have been so, for 15+ yrs. Mainly for Max in the morning. I like Max. The other DJ's are more or less OK. I can stomach them. BUT......The WLEW (alleged) News is the worst you can get in Michigan. There is this nauseating old fart Craig Rhoutzan (sp) that is usually on in the morning. He sounds constipated and thinks if you slow down the last few words in a sentence makes the news more credible. He must one heck of an easy gig, he reads off that Associated Press crap. I don't know if he is too lazy to fact find any stories, or is told by Management to read that Biased Crap. Then comes the other news stories throughout the day, where DJ's read the script in front of them. OMG, that is painful and nauseating to listen to. If I was management, I would be embarrassed to allow that crap on the air. They often stumble through a sentence, can't pronounce peoples names or places correctly. I think a 5th grader could do better.

I have decided that once Max retires, that will be the end of WLEW for me. I can't afford the massive amount of Pepto-Bismol to listen that station anymore.
Just a curious question, what's your main reason for listening to the radio?

R Bedell

Post by R Bedell » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:00 am

what's your main reason for listening to the radio?
As I stated before, Max in Morning (5:00am to 10:00am). I like Max. Seems to be the only one with some Experience and Professionalism. After Max, it is station surfing.

bobhuge

Post by bobhuge » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:45 pm

R Bedell wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:00 am
As I stated before, Max in Morning (5:00am to 10:00am). I like Max. Seems to be the only one with some Experience and Professionalism. After Max, it is station surfing.
Gotcha....well, being in his market, I guess I'll keep working in those....all thought professionalism might always be a stretch. :D

RadioRat

Post by RadioRat » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:44 pm

R Bedell wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:00 am
WLEW is hiring a news person. You should apply. As they say, be the change you want to see in the world.

MisterGoodrich2U

Post by MisterGoodrich2U » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:33 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:07 pm
You worked at the Orange??? I was there for oldies, a bankruptcy and the debut of the AOR format. I still hear from Pat now and again. Ted and I are friends to this day. I also worked in the market at 96 Super Q and WRCC. Small world.
Yes, I worked at WOOJ for 2 whole weeks. Moved to Florida for a new station in Fort Myers, WKZY, and was shown the door by the third or fourth GM in six months (1984). Then nabbed a temp job at WOOJ and, while that was happening, was hired at WKGR/West Palm Beach. After a year there, I was again shown the door and we eventually moved back to Michigan. If you worked at WRCC, you unfortunately know the Clancy family!

Sorry to high-jack this thread.

What is Max's last name? I interviewed there in 1982 or '83. They offered me a job, but I decided it wasn't worth the move from Port Huron.

R Bedell

Post by R Bedell » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:04 am

You should apply. As they say, be the change you want to see in the world.
I am NOT a Journalist. Just been listening to the news for 50+ yrs. I do know and recall good true journalism.

If if I did apply, I am sure the Owner/Management would force the News Director to read that National Swill and then there would be no point.

I can't nor want to control WLEW. BUT, I can control what I listen to. As I stated, I will listen to Max Koch until he retires and then move on.

MisterGoodrich2U

Post by MisterGoodrich2U » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:14 pm

Max Koch! That was/is his name. He recruited me to work there in the early '80s. Super-nice guy. I can't believe he is still there.

R Bedell

Post by R Bedell » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:09 am

Super-nice guy. I can't believe he is still there.
I have never met him in person. I have chatted with him by the phone a few times. I agree, he seems to be a really nice guy. He seems to be well entrenched in the Bad Axe/Huron Co Communities with a very seasoned record with WLEW. I can't say for sure, but from tid bits here and there, Max will be entertaining retirement, not too far down the road. Once that happens, I wish him well and search for a new morning program to listen to.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:04 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:17 pm
Oh man and I though it was bad that someone over here in Detroit pronounced Harry Chapin's last name wrong last week.

This is hilarious !!
I'm gonna listen just for this, haha
I'm thinking *really* hard just HOW to do that... "ChapEEN"?? Just, how? That's funny!

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:07 pm

bobhuge wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:44 pm
Additionally, has anyone explained to you folks that commercials are not 38 or 67 seconds long? 30s and 60s....man.... 😁
LOL.. WTRX in the 80's... Try as they might, it seems they always had one or two spots that were over by a few seconds. I guess as long as you're not covering national avails with local spots, it's not a big issue. If you ARE, it can get "not fun" really quick.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:17 pm

You know, we used to pick at all the mistakes made on small market radio stations all the time. Now, most of those stations are corporate noisemakers with little to no local elements to them.Frankly, I miss local stations like these, screw-ups and all. I'm glad there are at least a few around that do old-school radio to some degree. That, and frankly, I am no Larry Lujack myself. I'm human, and I'm myself on air and off. Maybe someday, I might return to radio part-time if more stations become locally owned and operated again.

Vic Doucette

Post by Vic Doucette » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:26 pm

It isn't only WLEW. There's an agency spot running on WWJ that twice mentions a city called "No-vee". Makes me wanna holler, throw up both my hands.

Support The Miracle League of Michigan -- because EVERY child deserves the chance to play baseball!
Visit www.michiganmiracle.org

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic