All accepted registrations through May 16 at 7:15p ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Separation of Church and State restored

The classic Political Potpourri forum is back by popular demand! ~SEPARATE REGISTRATION IS NO LONGER NEEDED; ALL REGISTERED BUZZBOARD USERS ARE WELCOME TO POST!~ Be forwarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Mega Hertz
Posts: 811
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:09 pm
Location: Brighton

Re: Separation of Church and State restored

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:14 am

NS8401 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:15 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:49 pm
Bryce wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:23 pm
"Separation of church and state" is a phrase made up by a guy in a black robe.

It exists no where in the COTUS, yet is parroted by leftists everywhere. Especially those with a interest to remove God from the public square.

As long as there is a solid relationship with God and religion by the majority, the left can never realise their dream of people swearing allegiance to all powerfull government.
Yeah! Especially THIS "leftist" that blesses EVERY meal before he eats!

...

...
Now now... praying to Stalin doesn’t count...
In Soviet Russia, food blesses you!


Underground Sounds, Ann Arbor
"Keep Vinyl Alive!"

User avatar
TC Talks
Posts: 1933
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:41 am

Re: Separation of Church and State restored

Post by TC Talks » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:24 am

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:33 am
TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:36 pm
I'll make it easy, I don't believe life begins when you think it does.
Since you have made some disparaging remarks about those who think differently than you I'm curious what you do think. When do you think "life begins"?
Or to put it another way when do you think it's too late for an elective abortion?
How old do you think lovinlife101 is currently?

Life begins with a healthy delivery. But the whole premise of sin and most of the arguments made here are based on a book that commands that you follow orders of an imaginary figure. While I don't think we should stop you from believing in magic people I don't think our laws should be written around those beliefs.

The point to this thread pertains to the wacky things bill schuette was getting us involved with. I have no confidence he was Christian. I have complete confidence he was trying to rope in the Suburban sheep.


© 2019 TC Talks ltd. Assembled in U.S.A.

lovinlife101
Posts: 1626
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Separation of Church and State restored

Post by lovinlife101 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:32 am

Bryce wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:23 pm
"Separation of church and state" is a phrase made up by a guy in a black robe.

It exists no where in the COTUS, yet is parroted by leftists everywhere. Especially those with a interest to remove God from the public square.
There is no mention of “separation of church and state” anywhere in the Constitution. That is 100% accurate.

In fact, the First Amendment of the Constitution says, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...”



lovinlife101
Posts: 1626
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Separation of Church and State restored

Post by lovinlife101 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:34 am

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:24 am
craig11152 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:33 am
TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:36 pm
I'll make it easy, I don't believe life begins when you think it does.
Since you have made some disparaging remarks about those who think differently than you I'm curious what you do think. When do you think "life begins"?
Or to put it another way when do you think it's too late for an elective abortion?
How old do you think lovinlife101 is currently?
Another death threat.

Don’t worry, I’m keeping score. Cyber bullying will be a crime in Michigan starting in March. Until then, Bubby will be waiting for you.



bmw
Posts: 969
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:02 am

Re: Separation of Church and State restored

Post by bmw » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:42 am

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:24 am
Life begins with a healthy delivery. But the whole premise of sin and most of the arguments made here are based on a book that commands that you follow orders of an imaginary figure. While I don't think we should stop you from believing in magic people I don't think our laws should be written around those beliefs.
Once again, the anti-Christian bigotry is so thick you could cut it with a knife.
TC Talks wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:24 am
The point to this thread pertains to the wacky things bill schuette was getting us involved with. I have no confidence he was Christian. I have complete confidence he was trying to rope in the Suburban sheep.
More anti-Christian bigotry aside, if you think that a county in a state having a cross in its seal's symbol somehow condones the establishment of a religion, then your beliefs are wackier than those you condone.

Are you going to now go burn all your paper money since it contains the phrase "In God We Trust?"



bmw
Posts: 969
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:02 am

Re: Separation of Church and State restored

Post by bmw » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:45 am

Also, since we're talking about wacko fringe groups, I would suggest to you that the Freedom From Religion Foundation fits the bill. They want to force their anti-Christian bigotry into our laws and hold positions far beyond simply upholding the Constitution when it comes to separating church from state.



screen glare
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:05 am

Re: Separation of Church and State restored

Post by screen glare » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:16 am

Bryce - “Separation of church and state” is a summation of a concept (and many believe right) embodied in the COTUS. Just as “The holy trinity” is a summation of a concept (and many believe truth) embodied in The Bible.

“Separation of church and state” and “The holy trinity” may not appear in their original conceptual documentations, but rather via other words explaining these two concepts. Which someone later summarizes.

All may debate whether a summary imparts original meaning.

However “some guy in a black robe” as you say may have indeed summarized to include original meaning.



screen glare
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:05 am

Re: Separation of Church and State restored

Post by screen glare » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:29 am

On a related note - the way the fringe group “Love in Action” was portrayed in the movie “Boy Erased” is an alarming reminder how far from the teachings of Jesus most Christian religious organizations - including denominations of the Christian religion - have strayed.

Watch that film and imagine the words and actions of those trying to convert homosexuals into heterosexuals coming from Jesus. Imagine Jesus saying all those things. Imagine Jesus doing all those things. Just imagine.



User avatar
craig11152
Posts: 1566
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:15 am
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: Separation of Church and State restored

Post by craig11152 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:39 am

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:24 am
Life begins with a healthy delivery.
Just so I am clear because I truly don't want to misunderstand.
A woman could be in active labor at 40 weeks with, by available medical measure, a healthy baby/fetus/thing and you would be fine with an abortion?


testing...testing...1...2...3...4

bmw
Posts: 969
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:02 am

Re: Separation of Church and State restored

Post by bmw » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:05 am

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:39 am
TC Talks wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:24 am
Life begins with a healthy delivery.
Just so I am clear because I truly don't want to misunderstand.
A woman could be in active labor at 40 weeks with, by available medical measure, a healthy baby/fetus/thing and you would be fine with an abortion?
Honestly I don't think he left any room for a misunderstanding. He said "healthy delivery." That means he believes 2 things:

1 - abortions should be legal right up to the actual moment of delivery, and
2 - you should be able to discard an unhealthy delivered baby.

It amazes me that he has the nerve to call Christians the wackos given that stance.



User avatar
craig11152
Posts: 1566
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:15 am
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: Separation of Church and State restored

Post by craig11152 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:44 am

bmw wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:05 am
It amazes me that he has the nerve to call Christians the wackos given that stance.
It does seem odd doesn't it? I wonder how he feels about the Trump wall? I'm guessing somewhere near 80%- 90% of the immigration from south of the border are Christians and a majority of those Catholic.


testing...testing...1...2...3...4

bmw
Posts: 969
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:02 am

Re: Separation of Church and State restored

Post by bmw » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:22 pm

I find it more worrisome than odd insofar as that this seems to be the opinion of a growing number of people on the far left. It is what comes from having a feeling of moral superiority - people on the left complain that Christians exhibit moral superiority, and in many cases there is a shred of truth to that. However, they fail to see that they themselves are exhibiting a different kind of moral superiority - one of intellectual superiority whereby they think they're smarter than everybody else so they won't even consider the opinions of others, because who would consider the opinion of a lesser intelligent person?

I also find his "sheep" analogy to be quite hilarious given how many "sheep" blindly follow the democrat party and the social warrior mobs.



User avatar
craig11152
Posts: 1566
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:15 am
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: Separation of Church and State restored

Post by craig11152 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:08 pm

Here in good old Ann Arbor I attend a truly multicultural church that leans pretty left by church standards. If I had to guess I would be comfortable saying 70%-90% of the congregation is more likely to vote for a democratic than a republican. So I am around God believing, Jesus believing, politically liberal Christians. I think there are a lot of them out there.
So I may not be as concerned as you are just through my limited personal experience.

I think all Christians tend to cherry pick the bible because there is plenty in there to make anyone uncomfortable regardless of political leaning.
The thing is the heart of Christianity isn't some perceived moral high ground, it's the realization we can never reach that moral high ground and that is why Jesus paid for my sins. Being a Christian isn't about being a flawless human it's about a God who forgives our flaws if we ask and honestly regret our sins and honestly try to rectify our sinful behavior.


testing...testing...1...2...3...4

User avatar
TC Talks
Posts: 1933
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:41 am

Re: Separation of Church and State restored

Post by TC Talks » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:30 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:42 am
More anti-Christian bigotry aside, if you think that a county in a state having a cross in its seal's symbol somehow condones the establishment of a religion, then your beliefs are wackier than those you condone.
Are you going to now go burn all your paper money since it contains the phrase "In God We Trust?"
Spare me your outrage heathen. I am anti-hypocrisy not anti-Christian. Religion in Evangelical Christianity is to a Chinese Buffett in Flint what Christianity is to dinner in Bejing. It's bastardized completely. So get off the high horse about attacks against it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_7:15

Speaking of pandering to the masses: Our money was modified for (you guessed it) a political gain.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_We_Trust

This sums it up pretty well...
Today’s Followers
Fast forward two thousand plus years, cross an ocean, and drop yourself in the middle of North America, the current United States of America.

Help me with this, because I really want to understand this. If Christ himself didn’t cozy up to Caesar (a reference to the state or government; not a specific emporer), why should today’s evangelical Christians feel compelled to entreat the favors of those in power? Especially, the favors of one who embodies just about everything that is antithetical to Christ’s teachings. Anyone?

I mean come on, now. To use a Stranger Things reference, we are currently living in the upside-down. Just take a look around. Highly notable, self-professed evangelical Christian leaders are acting like Christ in name only and peddling a litany of goods that gives many reason to pause. The fear-mongering, rabid racism masking itself as patriotism, and tribalism on display scream desperation nearly as loudly as neo-Nazis parading proudly down the streets of America. This nation went to war against the Nazis, right? Nazi paraphernalia is still banned in Germany, the country where the movement originated, right? Where’s the good news in that? Where’s Christ to be found in that?

Evangelicals have basically bartered away their legacy for not even fifteen minutes of fame in the most humiliating reality show to ever take place on the world stage.
https://medium.com/clay-rivers/todays-e ... 010424889b


© 2019 TC Talks ltd. Assembled in U.S.A.

User avatar
craig11152
Posts: 1566
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:15 am
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: Separation of Church and State restored

Post by craig11152 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:56 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:39 am
TC Talks wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:24 am
Life begins with a healthy delivery.
Just so I am clear because I truly don't want to misunderstand.
A woman could be in active labor at 40 weeks with, by available medical measure, a healthy baby/fetus/thing and you would be fine with an abortion?
I know you and me and others are fond of cherry picking responses but I really do want a clarification so I am not misinterpreting.


testing...testing...1...2...3...4

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic