Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Matt Shepard as the new Tiger play-by-play TV voice..

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
lidoshuffle

Matt Shepard as the new Tiger play-by-play TV voice..

Post by lidoshuffle » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:33 pm

Just heard he has landed the gig, to no one's surprise I am guessing..??

Smirnoff

Re: Matt Shepard as the new Tiger play-by-play TV voice..

Post by Smirnoff » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:38 pm

Yep, partner is Denny McLain.

MrMitch

Post by MrMitch » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:59 pm

Maybe they decided to go cheap?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:16 pm

I figured there was a 90% chance this would be the ultimate result.

I love how that senile old coot, Lynn Henning, was waxing poetically months ago about how this was one of the best PBP jobs in all of major league baseball and how all of these big names would be interested in applying for the job. An article from Carlos Monarrez that appeared last fall was even more outlandish.

The fact of the matter is no one of national prominence (a) wants to move to Detroit and (b) call games for a team that will likely prove to a be a dumpster fire for at least the next five years.

My guess is the "national search" resulted in few impressive candidates. Shepard was probably the best option of the limited choices available. I will say he did a capable job of calling the broadcasts last September.

My guess is he'll quit the EMU football gig. He'll probably continue in the U-M basketball PBP role.

Will be interesting to see what happens with his morning radio show. My guess is he'll continue to do it in the off-season and during homestands and will have other folks (Sean Baligian and Art Regner, primarily) fill in when he has to go on the road.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:28 pm

My prediction from many weeks ago:
viewtopic.php?p=552002#p552002

Deleted User 7769

Re: Matt Sheppard as the new Tiger play-by-play TV voice..

Post by Deleted User 7769 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:31 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:16 pm
I figured there was a 90% chance this would be the ultimate result.

I love how that senile old coot, Lynn Henning, was waxing poetically months ago about how this was one of the best PBP jobs in all of major league baseball and how all of these big names would be interested in applying for the job.

The fact of the matter is no one of national prominence (a) wants to move to Detroit and (b) call games for a team that will likely prove to a be a dumpster fire for at least the next five years.

My guess is the "national search" resulted in few impressive candidates. Shepard was probably the best option of the limited choices available. I will say he did a capable job of calling the broadcasts last September.

My guess is he'll quit the EMU football gig. He'll probably continue in the U-M basketball PBP role.
So you’re saying after several months of lack luster interviews, FSD decided to “just go with Shepard” because they had no their options? I usually respect your opinion, MW, but here you’re wrong. You may not like him, but Shep is a high energy, hard working, intelligent, marketable and likable sports anchor. He is well represented by a highly regarded agent, and is in high demand here in Detroit. The fact of the matter is.. he is a hard worker. Something that is, quite frankly, difficult to find in today’s world. You have guys on The Ticket who’ve been doing sports for less than 5 years and they believe they should be considered for a position like this. It’s hilarious. Shepard has worked very hard, he’s very good and he deserves this. It’s about time one of the good guys got what they have EARNED.

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:31 pm

I have a cool drinking game: Every time Matt says ‘Okay’, you take a drink. You’ll be sh*t-faced by the 4th inning.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:42 pm

So you’re saying after several months of lack luster interviews, FSD decided to “just go with Shepard” because they had no their options?
That's not exactly what I'm saying. I'm saying the other candidates were likely nothing special. All these A-list names that Clueless Lynn thought would apply for the job likely had no interest. So, based on the options on the table, there was no reason to NOT give the job to Shepard, especially given the fact he is already familiar to FSD viewers and did a good job in September.

I actually liked Shepard's call of the games better than that of Impemba, who never particularly impressed me.
He is well represented by a highly regarded agent, and is in high demand here in Detroit. The fact of the matter is.. he is a hard worker. Something that is, quite frankly, difficult to find in today’s world. You have guys on The Ticket who’ve been doing sports for less than 5 years and they believe they should be considered for a position like this. It’s hilarious. Shepard has worked very hard, he’s very good and he deserves this. It’s about time one of the good guys got what they have EARNED.
That sounds like something his agent would write! :)

You are wrong in suggesting "I may not like him." I like his play-by-play work a LOT. He does a terrific job with U-M basketball.

I am not at all suggesting his hire was a bad choice or that he is somehow undeserving. What I *am* suggesting is the notion that Henning, Monarrez and a few others were spreading that all of these top-tier guys from around the country would be highly interested in this job is laughable. If these were the Tigers of 2012 or 2013 we were talking about, then the situation perhaps would be different.

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:55 am

Mr. Mitch,Sheppard didn't come cheaply,I assure you.With "Shep,"Jack Morris and Kirk Gibson in the booth,the broadcast will have three smart hombres who'll make Dickerson and Price sound amateurish.

musicfan

Post by musicfan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:12 am

Oh boy....Another year of "Priceisms", and heavy huffing into the microphone. Add Dan's screaming "GONE" whenever a Tiger hits a home run...and my listening experience on the radio will be complete. Nawwww. The radio crew can use an overhaul, as well.

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:27 am

musicfan,I was listening to Saturday birthday boy (74) Ron Cameron Sunday,and he intimated that Price believes he has a lifetime contract . Price is 77 and has had major health issues, so he may not be on the air that much longer , but because Dickerson is only 60, we may be treated to such DD nuggets as "unassisted double play with MULTIPLE fielders involved foranother generation .

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:28 am

Incidentally,RIP, Melvin Leon Stottlemyre Sr., Nov.13 ,1941- Jan.13, 2019 .

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:36 pm

Congrats to Shep! It's gonna be a long year on that playing field.

SpartanAM

Post by SpartanAM » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:34 pm

What does this mean for Shep's WDFN morning show that's syndicated throughout the state?

To the hostile invading aliens hovering just beyond Earth's atmosphere, “Eat the Canadians first!”

-R.I.P. Ian Punnett

iloveblackpeople

Post by iloveblackpeople » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:09 pm

There's no way he's going to be able to do a daily morning radio show while doing play-by-play for the tigers. The show will likely go by the wayside. Nobody's listening anyway. At most he would do it during the offseason only.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic