Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Predictions on how and when the shutdown ends

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Re: Predictions on how and when the shutdown ends

Post by bmw » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:15 am

ftballfan wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:37 pm
I voted for Trump, but I feel there's a good chance he doesn't finish his term in part due to his wall fight. I feel enough GOP representatives/senators will eventually support the Dem plan to reopen the government for a potential Trump veto to be overridden
While it is not getting much media attention - Trump last night said that he WILL declare a national emergency if he can't get a deal done in Congress. Not maybe. Not possibly. But that he WILL do it. Now whether he''ll actually follow-through on that threat is another question entirely, but I think he will.

And once he declares a national emergency, he would presumably immediately re-open the government.

Starting to look like that is ultimately where this is headed. Then the next public discussion will be over the inevitable court battle that will follow.

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:13 pm

Starting to look like it's exactly what he wants, everyone else be damned: https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/ ... wn-1096118

When Republican Senators gather to plan an idea to end the shutdown, don't involve Democrats in the planning at all...and it's Trump who puts the kibosh on the strategy - what should one conclude other than he wants a solution that doesn't involve making a deal with Congress at all?

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:07 pm

Re-opening government with no guarantees would be foolish on Trump's part. The shutdown is the only leverage he has right now, and if he were to go along with some kind of deal where we open the government now and talk about the wall later, there will be NO WALL WHATSOEVER and he knows that.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:29 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:07 pm
Re-opening government with no guarantees would be foolish on Trump's part. The shutdown is the only leverage he has right now, and if he were to go along with some kind of deal where we open the government now and talk about the wall later, there will be NO WALL WHATSOEVER and he knows that.
And his re-election chances die which is his only concern in all this. Well said.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:31 pm

I'm not going to sit here and pretend that re-election isn't in the back of his mind, but that is NOT what is driving his decision-making here. Trump believes a wall will make us safer. He campaigned on that premise. Now he's trying to deliver. Again, you can disagree with his stance, but I did believe in 2016 and still believe now that on this issue, he is fighting for what he genuinely believes needs to be done.

I find it refreshing to have a President who is using every tool at his disposal to try to deliver on some of his campaign promises despite immense pressure and hatred from those who oppose him at every turn. Most republicans would have folded like a cheap tent well before now. Not Trump.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:56 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:01 pm

Pretty sure nobody feels like getting shot at, either.
Are you suggesting that instead of a wall we just shoot people trying to cross instead?

That may prove to be quite the deterrent.

Purchased in bulk, bullets are pretty cost effective too. For all you 5 billion dollar budget hawks.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:08 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:55 pm

Honest to shit, do you really believe that?
Yes, yes I do. And, until someone can give me an explanation (preferably from their own mouths) as to why these people were all on board with the program 10 years ago and so vehemently opposed to it now, I will continue to do so.

Why does no one in the press ask this question?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:06 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:08 pm

Why does no one in the press ask this question?
And make Chuck or Nancy look bad? Are you nuts?

Make no mistake about it. The media has an interest in the final outcome of this and that interest overrides any thought of unbiased reporting. Just like how they show one story after another of federal workers who can't pay their bills but not a single story of families affected by drugs or murders resulting from border problems.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:19 pm

I know. Woe is the right. The whole world is scheming against them.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:22 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:56 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:01 pm

Pretty sure nobody feels like getting shot at, either.
Are you suggesting that instead of a wall we just shoot people trying to cross instead?

That may prove to be quite the deterrent.

Purchased in bulk, bullets are pretty cost effective too. For all you 5 billion dollar budget hawks.
I'm actually shocked you're not for using guns instead of an almost 6 billion dollar wall. Good thing that money isn't going to something worthwhile like feeding the hungry...there might be an outcry!

I don't ever, ever...EVER want to hear conservatives whine about wasteful spending ever again. The fits that were thrown over health insurance...holy hell.

But, hey, if you think concrete passing Mexico is gonna permanently deter anyone from crossing the border...well, more power to ya.

-TurkeyTop

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:45 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:22 pm
I don't ever, ever...EVER want to hear conservatives whine about wasteful spending ever again. The fits that were thrown over health insurance...holy hell.
So you're comparing the wall which is 1/880th of the federal budget to healthcare which is 1/6th of the total economy?

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:31 am

bmw wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:45 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
So you're comparing the wall which is 1/880th of the federal budget to healthcare which is 1/6th of the total economy?
While it is 1/6th of the total economy I wouldn’t call a Republican plan they suddenly didn’t support when somebody else proposed it a government anything. So let’s not even walk down that minefield. I’m thinking of your safety here.

The only one thing Trump has been consistent on for decades is not immigration. It’s tariffs. The wall is the means to an end for him and that end is his re-election. He has hired illegals for Mar-a-lago as well as his own private homes and Melania’s Parents are chain migrants. He doesn’t give a shit about immigration or illegals or any of it. No way Jose... he just wants to keep the illusion up for the benefit of his base such as yourself. If this drags on long enough the Senate will ram a spending bill through and override Trump and that’ll be that. The president is at a H*** disadvantage in this fight. That started when he preemptively owned the shutdown (why he did that I haven’t a clue, great strategist he ain’t)...

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:42 am

bmw wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:45 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Yes, I am. Because it's a hell of a lot more helpful than a wasteful wall, which benefits NO ONE but Trump.

If you would just come out and admit what you are, I'd respect it a lot more than I do now.

-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:20 am

Anyone see the irony in that talking to people for this wall, is like talking TO a wall?

"Health insurance so people don't go broke from illness? Nope. Wasteful liberal spending!"

"A wall that won't help a damn thing? Get me my wallet!"

I've noted there's been no call for one across Canada. I wonder what the difference is between Candians and Mexicans.

-TurkeyTop

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:32 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Good thing that money isn't going to something worthwhile like feeding the hungry...there might be an outcry!

Well, it is. The U.S. budget for food stamps in fiscal 2019 is seven billion a MONTH. With a wall, there will be more to go around for U.S. citizens.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic