All accepted new registrations through 11:59p ET on October 3 have been activated. Accepted new registrations in the queue are activated on a weekly basis each Saturday. Terms of use are available here: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/ucp.php?mode=terms
Thank you!
Thank you!
Theory regarding Cumulus' next format move
Re: Theory regarding Cumulus' next format move
Heard that the night show on WHTS may soon be reverting back to a local one and that some familiar talents might be back in the market.
Last edited by Freqman on Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
- handbanana
- Posts: 51
- Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:24 pm
- Location: East Side of Lake Michigan
Re: Theory regarding Cumulus' next format move
So Hot FM is getting a flanker? Why not, the market is full of 'em. WLHT has always had the River and the Fox (now Brew) was put on the air because B93 couldn't beat LAV.
What a waste of signals in this market. Although it will be interesting to see how an Ubrban format might do in GR.
What a waste of signals in this market. Although it will be interesting to see how an Ubrban format might do in GR.
Re: Theory regarding Cumulus' next format move
Straight up Urban in GR...I don’t think it will work. Too niche. Tough sell. And would take a lot of patience to get traction.
BUT a throwback Hip-Hop station that plays 25% currents and 75% old school would have the potential to do some damage. The music would be familiar thanks to WSNX’s 20+ year history as a rhythmic and it shouldn’t be too tough to sell. I think the market is ready for a station like this. It most likely won’t debut #1 like Bounce in Detroit, but I think the mid 4’s to a 5 share wouldn’t be out of the question.
BUT a throwback Hip-Hop station that plays 25% currents and 75% old school would have the potential to do some damage. The music would be familiar thanks to WSNX’s 20+ year history as a rhythmic and it shouldn’t be too tough to sell. I think the market is ready for a station like this. It most likely won’t debut #1 like Bounce in Detroit, but I think the mid 4’s to a 5 share wouldn’t be out of the question.
Re: Theory regarding Cumulus' next format move
I could see that,
-
Arthur Mometer
- Posts: 220
- Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:52 am
- Location: Radar Room
Re: Theory regarding Cumulus' next format move
Years ago, back around 1985, I asked one of the WCHB founders or managers why they didn't just apply for one of the new Class A frequencies in Grand Rapids, 98.7 or 100.5. He said that it was difficult to sell an R & B format in Grand Rapids. He said you could be #1 in the ratings and still flounder financially. They have to do what used to be called a "Salt and Pepper" type format, either a mix of "White Hot Hits" and R & B and high profile African American or Blue Eyed DJs like John R at WLAC who sounded ambiguously Black. They did this in one form or another at WDRQ in the 1970s and at WAMM in Flint in the late 1960s, with Jim Hampton, Pete Flanders, etc., and Dick Kemp, etc. at WYNR Chicago. Ernie Durham had that appeal at WJLB, something to cross over to widen the appeal, and later, the Saturday Night Blues program at WDET. But you need a Class A FM to make it work best. I doubt if a 250 watt translator could do it well, but a centrally located Class A could. Not a rimshot though. Bill Bailey would have been great, but the Classic High Profile Local DJs have unfortunately passed away. You can't just use Syndication or a hard drive based format.
"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."
"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."
"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."
"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."
"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."
Re: Theory regarding Cumulus' next format move
I noticed this morning that 94.5’s RDS reads “West Michigan’s Polka Station”. I didn’t have a strong enough signal with 107.3 to see if it said the same thing.
Re: Theory regarding Cumulus' next format move
The WOBBLE. All Australian Outback Music.MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:26 pm I wonder if the WBBL call sign will be kept and moved to 94.5?
Maybe the new station can be called The Bubble. Or Babble.![]()
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wobble_board
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."
-Author Unknown
-Author Unknown
Re: Theory regarding Cumulus' next format move
94.5 has a RDS message currently set as “The Yibe - Jazz, Rhythm, and Blues”. Still Country through the speakers.
-
Deleted User 12201
Re: Theory regarding Cumulus' next format move
"The Yibe"? That's a little weird. Unless someone transcribed something wrong (A Y for a V) off a written piece of paper.
But, these all seem like potentially very positive moves for Cumulus if it all comes to fruition like MW thinks it might...
But, these all seem like potentially very positive moves for Cumulus if it all comes to fruition like MW thinks it might...