Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

HD Noise Cancellers

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Arthur Mometer

HD Noise Cancellers

Post by Arthur Mometer » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:02 am

Does this sound to you like it would help receive first adjacent FM BC channels by canceling IBOC interference? And is there any hope of a design for an AM IBOC sideband canceler? Many of the best DX radios now are functionally useless because of IBOC sidebands.

http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/ibocharm.htm

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

k8jd

Re: HD Noise Cancellers

Post by k8jd » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:17 pm

That noise will be really hard to knock out. Pulse noise is easy to cancel with a pulse inverter but that iBOC is a very complex kind of white noise.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:11 pm

I cannot, to this day, believed the FCC approved IBOC on AM, much less that it continues to disrupt AM listening regardless of the handful of actual HD listeners out there. Pull the plug, already!

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:58 pm

With roughly 38 AM HD (at night)stations left maybe there’s still hope that this HD on AM will eventually cease. And what’s the latest on that station at 820 in the DC area that went full digital are they still experimenting? I mean it’s costing these AM Stations a ton to broadcast in a format no one cares about, how the hell do they fit this in their budget.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:58 pm

With 38 HD-AM stations, there are almost more analog stereo AM (CQUAM) stations on the air without disrupting their neighbors, like -1430 WION, and Nautel made it easy to revert your iBoc back to CQUAM in the menu on several of their AM-HD transmitters. The "I" and "Q" are there, just do the calculus math, and boom, it's there with real audio out to 10.2Khz, not mr. tin man like 950, and 'Most Modulation Station, SuperStation 910".

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:52 pm

WOHO wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:58 pm
With 38 HD-AM stations, there are almost more analog stereo AM (CQUAM) stations on the air without disrupting their neighbors, like -1430 WION, and Nautel made it easy to revert your iBoc back to CQUAM in the menu on several of their AM-HD transmitters. The "I" and "Q" are there, just do the calculus math, and boom, it's there with real audio out to 10.2Khz, not mr. tin man like 950, and 'Most Modulation Station, SuperStation 910".
I still have a working Realistic TM-153 C-QuAM tuner. I had it hooked up to a longwire a few years ago (willow branch took it down last fall) and I could lock onto a stereo signal here and there on the dial at night.

WTCM's original Harris stereo exciter, which was given to me by Jim Sofonia, has been collecting dust in a rack in my basement for almost 10 years. I've heard StereoTool can push out a C-QuAM composite signal, but I've never had time to screw around with it. I have a couple dedicated StereoTool computers which run ST as shell on XP Pro. I think, now that I'm redoing my studio and network, I just might have to retube my old 100mW AM I built some years back, and try it out for the halibut. AM stereo isn't dead, it sounded a lot better than HD (IMO) and it didn't piss off the neighboring six channels in each direction (unless they were too broke to go stereo and were envious I reckon). There are still a few active C-QuAM groups and forums on the internet. All we really need is for our overpaid do-nothings in DC to make the FCC finally shitcan AM IBOC and push for C-QuAM again. There are still IC tuner chips with C-QuAM decoding out there, and, as of about 3 years ago anyways, there were a few still in current production. I can't think they'd be any more costly than a standard tuner IC, and certainly must be cheaper than HD chips. However, our FCC isn't really all that "radio friendly" at present. They seem to be up cellular's rear end, if anything.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:49 am

Ed J., did you install CQAM at WTRX/WDLZ with Don McComb? Did they use it at WTRX? What happened to that exciter? Where did Kaufmans/Leytons get their CQAM exciter for WTAC Big 600 Talk And Oldies? Did you help with that installation?

Art Vuolo got his Realistic AM Stereo Tuner to record U of M Football from WJR in AM Stereo. Del Reynolds had one in his Radio Shack Store in Cheboygan. It had been sitting there for years, I had seen it there several times gathering dust, and I told Art about it, and he and Del arranged to swap it for some Video Aircheck Tapes. When WJR was IBOC, somebody swapped an IBOC receiver, but by that time U of M football was on WWJ as I recall.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic