Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

97.1 WGLQ - when did they segue to Hot AC?

Discussion pertaining to Marquette, Escanaba, Iron Mountain, Houghton, Ironwood, and Northern Wisconsin, too!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

97.1 WGLQ - when did they segue to Hot AC?

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:22 pm

Out of curiosity, when did the station change its identity from "Magic 97" to "97.1 GLQ - Today's Best Music" ?

In the process, their format seems to have shifted from CHR/Pop to Hot AC.

hunterw

Re: 97.1 WGLQ - when did they segue to Hot AC?

Post by hunterw » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:33 pm

Listening online and they just identified as today’s best music Magic 97 wglq and today’s best music 97.1 wglq. Guess they haven’t decided on there identity yet. even though there website still has them at GLQ 97 but there format is def Hot ac /adult CHR.
They are currently playing
Away from the sun by Three doors down
Happier by marshmelow ft basitlle
Who do you love by the chain smokers.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:46 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:22 pm
Out of curiosity, when did the station change its identity from "Magic 97" to "97.1 GLQ - Today's Best Music" ?

In the process, their format seems to have shifted from CHR/Pop to Hot AC.
An acquaintance who works for the station group told me some months back when I was finalizing my 500 Top-of-Hour ID project (confused on whether to list it as GLQ or Magic; I went with both!) that they still now and then use the Magic name, but they've been just GLQ for a few years now with Magic tucked in there in different spots.

I haven't noted any difference in format over the past year. They're a 24/7 regular here at my location in Fremont. Certainly no changes that I've heard. Same old CHR format with a rather wide variety of AC and hot AC tunes peppered in. They even play an urban music program at night with music typical of GCI and JLB, though I forget the name and time; I think late Friday night I usually hear it.

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

Chris1980

Post by Chris1980 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:07 pm

I think that same urban music show is also heard on 107-9 WCDY in Cadillac.

GLQ has had adult overtones to its programming for a long time. As late as 1999, if memory serves, GLQ was airing a '50s-'70s oldies show on Saturday nights - I want to say it was either Mike Harvey's "SuperGold" or Dick Bartley's "Rock 'n' Roll's Greatest Hits." I also seem to recall them doing a Hot AC-type presentation around that time called "the 50-50 mix of yesterday and today" or something like that. Lots of Faith Hill, Celine Dion and the like. Of course that was the era of the boy bands, when Backstreet Boys and 98 Degrees were just as popular with AC audiences as with CHR.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:57 pm

Did WGLQ ever go by Q97?

MetalUpYourAss1973

Post by MetalUpYourAss1973 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:28 am

I remember "The Magic of the Great Lakes" and "Magic 97" pretty much most of my life. I feel like I was coherent with radio by the early 80s and can't seem to remember any other ID they used back then.

jjup

Post by jjup » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:44 pm

The segue was an intentional move in 2017/2018. The 'Magic' name is still used in some imaging and such, as a nod to the past. WGLQ still plays some hotter music on Friday Night (In the Mix with DJ Grooves) and Saturday Night with Romeo and Most Requested Live. Makes sense for us, since we also have 94-9 the Bay (CHR-HOT) in Marquette. Why compete with yourself?

Jay Fisher
Radio Results Network and Marquette Radio Group
In the janitorial arts

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic