All accepted registrations through July 14 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Predictions on how and when the shutdown ends

The classic Political Potpourri forum is back by popular demand! ~SEPARATE REGISTRATION IS NO LONGER NEEDED; ALL REGISTERED BUZZBOARD USERS ARE WELCOME TO POST!~ Be forwarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
ftballfan
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: Predictions on how and when the shutdown ends

Post by ftballfan » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:24 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:19 am
We are still 2 days short of the Obama 16 day shutdown and 7 days short of the Clinton 21 day shutdown.
I can't remember the level of liberal outrage back then. Can somebody refresh me?
Clinton's shutdown was effectively a week longer because of a large snowstorm that hit very soon after the shutdown ended.

My prediction: A sizable portion of the Republicans in both the House and Senate agree to support the Democrat plan with about $2.5-3 billion in wall funding, enough for a 2/3 majority in both houses to override a potential Trump veto (can appropriation bills be overridden?). I predict this will happen either this coming week or the next week.

Side prediction: Trump either doesn't finish his term or is blown out in November 2020 (the EC will be a similar margin to 2008, but whoever comes out of the Dem primaries will win at least 55% of the popular vote as the Dems will run up the score in the traditionally blue states while Trump would narrowly hold on to some of the traditionally red states). If Mike Pence is the candidate, the 2020 election will be closer, but the Dem candidate would still be the favorite.



User avatar
Lester The Nightfly
Posts: 791
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:19 pm

Re: Predictions on how and when the shutdown ends

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:27 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:10 pm
T Rump can't win here. If he tries to be a statesman and makes a deal for anything less than the 5, the media and left will trumpet the fact that "he caved" and they won.

He has to hold. Its the only way he can win.
10 minutes in Las Vegas is time enough to know relying on a single card to play isn't a winning strategy. :blink

(You would think someone who previously ran a casino would understand that, but then again it takes a special kind of talent to lose money running a gambling operation. What did he do? Lock the doors and say "Go Away!! Go Away!!)



Deleted User 14888

Re: Predictions on how and when the shutdown ends

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:06 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:38 am
Oldies 84 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:35 am
screen glare wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:57 am
Human waste overflowing on to America’s pristine and beautiful national parks is a SYMBOL of Trump’s disdain and disrespect for our public lands and treasured landmarks. You know - “drill baby, drill”. No land set aside for all to enjoy when there’s a way to make an industrial buck off same. Mine, strip, cut, drill, defile with chemicals. Unbridled greed - the Trump Creed - now symbolized in photos of our filthy national parks. Not to mention all the rangers told to stay home. And not being paid.
Shameful.

Make America Great Again means Make America the Butt of a Sick International Joke. The world is laughing at our stupidity in ever electing him. General Mattis knows it. John McCain knew it. And every shocked world leader is either crying, or licking his/her chops with glee.
Really, Human waste in National Parks, Who the hell is pooping in the National Parks, Just who the hell writes this stuff? Fake News at its best must be The PBS Newshour.
Anytime I’ve ever gone to a national park, it’s trashed. You know what’s never trashed? Private parks! Oh, and I have to pay to go to a national park and a private park. At least I don’t have to pay during the “shutdown.”

Drive by any public park in Detroit and you find broken basketball rims, used condoms, syringes, and the like. Since it belongs to everyone, it belongs to no one.
And you know this by just driving by a park, God I wish I had that gift to know what’s in a park just by driving by it, you better go to the park while it’s free because the Government Shutdown could end soon.



lovinlife101
Posts: 2010
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Predictions on how and when the shutdown ends

Post by lovinlife101 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:03 pm

Oldies 84 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:06 pm
[quote=lovinlife101 post_id=556647 time=<a href="tel:1546706302">1546706302</a> user_id=9159]
[quote="Oldies 84" post_id=556640 time=<a href="tel:1546702555">1546702555</a> user_id=14888]
[quote="screen glare" post_id=556472 time=<a href="tel:1546610242">1546610242</a> user_id=8033]
Human waste overflowing on to America’s pristine and beautiful national parks is a SYMBOL of Trump’s disdain and disrespect for our public lands and treasured landmarks. You know - “drill baby, drill”. No land set aside for all to enjoy when there’s a way to make an industrial buck off same. Mine, strip, cut, drill, defile with chemicals. Unbridled greed - the Trump Creed - now symbolized in photos of our filthy national parks. Not to mention all the rangers told to stay home. And not being paid.
Shameful.

Make America Great Again means Make America the Butt of a Sick International Joke. The world is laughing at our stupidity in ever electing him. General Mattis knows it. John McCain knew it. And every shocked world leader is either crying, or licking his/her chops with glee.
Really, Human waste in National Parks, Who the hell is pooping in the National Parks, Just who the hell writes this stuff? Fake News at its best must be The PBS Newshour.
[/quote]

Anytime I’ve ever gone to a national park, it’s trashed. You know what’s never trashed? Private parks! Oh, and I have to pay to go to a national park and a private park. At least I don’t have to pay during the “shutdown.”

Drive by any public park in Detroit and you find broken basketball rims, used condoms, syringes, and the like. Since it belongs to everyone, it belongs to no one.
[/quote]
And you know this by just driving by a park, God I wish I had that gift to know what’s in a park just by driving by it, you better go to the park while it’s free because the Government Shutdown could end soon.
[/quote]

Are you Mr. Magoo? Better get your eyes checked. Can’t see a broken basketball rim unless you’re hanging on it? How big do you think a park in Detroit is? 1,000 square miles? More like 1,000 square feet!



Deleted User 14888

Re: Predictions on how and when the shutdown ends

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:23 pm

Damn, Maybe you should stop looking for condoms and syringes in the park, in fact stay the hell away from parks, perhaps a trip to the zoo would be more your cup of tea.



lovinlife101
Posts: 2010
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Predictions on how and when the shutdown ends

Post by lovinlife101 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:55 pm

Oldies 84 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:23 pm
Damn, Maybe you should stop looking for condoms and syringes in the park, in fact stay the hell away from parks, perhaps a trip to the zoo would be more your cup of tea.
Looking for condoms is an important skill. Just ask your parents.

Listen, J. Quincy, I applaud your ability to type at all. If you can’t see how trashed public parks are before the shutdown, it must be very difficult to see your own filth. Hopefully your sense of smell is gone too. Not everyone has that luxury.

Oh, and private organizations are volunteering to pay for public park clean up.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/04/68199510 ... n-yellowst

Let’s just hope the word doesn’t get out. Others might follow, doing a better job for less money.



Deleted User 14888

Re: Predictions on how and when the shutdown ends

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:24 pm

Hey, keep my deceased parents out of the conversation jackass, maybe you need to go back to the park you might have lost one of your condoms there, please pick up after yourself, and by the way it looks like the shutdown could be months maybe years, you might have to build a cabin in the park so you can wake up every morning to start picking up condoms that everyone left the night before.



User avatar
Bryce
Posts: 2517
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:04 pm

Re: Predictions on how and when the shutdown ends

Post by Bryce » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:15 am

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:27 pm
Bryce wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:10 pm
T Rump can't win here. If he tries to be a statesman and makes a deal for anything less than the 5, the media and left will trumpet the fact that "he caved" and they won.

He has to hold. Its the only way he can win.
10 minutes in Las Vegas is time enough to know relying on a single card to play isn't a winning strategy. :blink

(You would think someone who previously ran a casino would understand that, but then again it takes a special kind of talent to lose money running a gambling operation. What did he do? Lock the doors and say "Go Away!! Go Away!!)
I would say that if you were pretty sure your one card was the highest in play on the table, and no one has a pair, you would probably hold it rather than fold it.


If you have a really big butt, can you get away with doing things half-assed?

lovinlife101
Posts: 2010
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Predictions on how and when the shutdown ends

Post by lovinlife101 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:12 am

Oldies 84 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:24 pm
Hey, keep my deceased parents out of the conversation jackass, maybe you need to go back to the park you might have lost one of your condoms there, please pick up after yourself, and by the way it looks like the shutdown could be months maybe years, you might have to build a cabin in the park so you can wake up every morning to start picking up condoms that everyone left the night before.
My parents have been dead for decades, along with every generation before them, so no offense taken.

It must be difficult taking offense whenever a deceased loved one is mentioned in conversation. That is, unless you’re not consistent.

Oh, and the name-calling. I’m used to it. Replace it with an argument, and you’ll appear less ignorant.

Also, read the article. Private organizations will take care of the clean-up. To read the article, it’ll require a microscope in your case or have someone read it to you. Poor eyesight could be because of inbreeding, but there’s no definitive science on it yet.



Deleted User 8570

Re: Predictions on how and when the shutdown ends

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:25 am

Bryce wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:15 am
Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:27 pm
Bryce wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:10 pm
T Rump can't win here. If he tries to be a statesman and makes a deal for anything less than the 5, the media and left will trumpet the fact that "he caved" and they won.

He has to hold. Its the only way he can win.
10 minutes in Las Vegas is time enough to know relying on a single card to play isn't a winning strategy. :blink

(You would think someone who previously ran a casino would understand that, but then again it takes a special kind of talent to lose money running a gambling operation. What did he do? Lock the doors and say "Go Away!! Go Away!!)
I would say that if you were pretty sure your one card was the highest in play on the table, and no one has a pair, you would probably hold it rather than fold it.
Except Pelosi is a far better and more experienced player and a better bluffer...



bmw
Posts: 1083
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:02 am

Re: Predictions on how and when the shutdown ends

Post by bmw » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:42 am

Trump's problem is that the media (as always) is overwhelmingly biased not only in opposition to the shutdown, but also in choosing sides. I see story after story after story of all the bad things that the shutdown is causing and also a lot of scare tactics (flying is no longer safe, you'll lose your food stamps, etc), without a single story talking about what happens the longer we go without securing our border. The one-sided coverage is par for the course I guess.



zzand
Posts: 501
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:16 am
Location: right here

Re: Predictions on how and when the shutdown ends

Post by zzand » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:56 am

People. people. people, we can all sit behind our keyboards and spit ball predictions but let us be honest. we have no clue how or when the shutdown will end. Fact, the White House is dug in as are the Democrats even though they continue to "negotiate". They say they are worried about we the people but anyone with an IQ higher than a garden slug knows that is bullshit. They continue to collect their paychecks while others do not. The only sanity I have seen in all of this is a plan to at least fund the IRS so tax refunds won't be held up, the lone indication that someone does care about we the people. Please put that forward and let it get the needed support and signature. Lot's of people depend on those checks to catch up on bills, make needed purchases etc,etc, and I am sure there are those of us here that do that too. If anyone thinks the president won't keep it closed long term they are mistaken. He isn't a politician, the reason a lot of people like him or dislike him, he is a business man running the country as a business. It is going to take level headed intelligent people on both sides of the aisle to bring this thing to a close and those won't be the richest members, they will be those who are closest to us in income, though not many truly are. I see people here bitching about overflowing toilets and trash cans, seriously? That is what bothers you? if so you need to rethink everything and think about those who are sitting at home with no paychecks or continuing to work without one, though as of this week they can all receive Unemployment checks, which will help a little. Toyota and Lexus are offering some help to those affected by giving them a two month break on payments, other companies who can should as well. Much is being made of this shutdown, but check history, Carter had one every year he was in office, and all of them in recent history have had them, it has become a negotiation ploy, with no one, not one member of either party really caring about us. If they did these would never happen. Call it Trump's shutdown if you will but the blame goes to both parties, no matter who lives in the White House.



User avatar
Bryce
Posts: 2517
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:04 pm

Re: Predictions on how and when the shutdown ends

Post by Bryce » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:33 am

zzand wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:56 am
People. people. people, we can all sit behind our keyboards and spit ball predictions but let us be honest. we have no clue how or when the shutdown will end. Fact, the White House is dug in as are the Democrats even though they continue to "negotiate". They say they are worried about we the people but anyone with an IQ higher than a garden slug knows that is bullshit. They continue to collect their paychecks while others do not. The only sanity I have seen in all of this is a plan to at least fund the IRS so tax refunds won't be held up, the lone indication that someone does care about we the people. Please put that forward and let it get the needed support and signature. Lot's of people depend on those checks to catch up on bills, make needed purchases etc,etc, and I am sure there are those of us here that do that too. If anyone thinks the president won't keep it closed long term they are mistaken. He isn't a politician, the reason a lot of people like him or dislike him, he is a business man running the country as a business. It is going to take level headed intelligent people on both sides of the aisle to bring this thing to a close and those won't be the richest members, they will be those who are closest to us in income, though not many truly are. I see people here bitching about overflowing toilets and trash cans, seriously? That is what bothers you? if so you need to rethink everything and think about those who are sitting at home with no paychecks or continuing to work without one, though as of this week they can all receive Unemployment checks, which will help a little. Toyota and Lexus are offering some help to those affected by giving them a two month break on payments, other companies who can should as well. Much is being made of this shutdown, but check history, Carter had one every year he was in office, and all of them in recent history have had them, it has become a negotiation ploy, with no one, not one member of either party really caring about us. If they did these would never happen. Call it Trump's shutdown if you will but the blame goes to both parties, no matter who lives in the White House.
I want to add the fact that currently the U.S. Federal budget is 4.4 Trillion dollars. 5 billion is pocket change. It's like you or I refusing to buy a cup of coffee for a friend. The refusal to fund the "wall" is purely political and I think even a garden slug can figure that out.


If you have a really big butt, can you get away with doing things half-assed?

zzand
Posts: 501
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:16 am
Location: right here

Re: Predictions on how and when the shutdown ends

Post by zzand » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:03 pm

Of course it is. The next two years will find one side not doing any of the nation's business, instead spending their time trying to get Pence into the White House, something I think they have forgotten. The other side will spend it's time posturing that we need to get to work on the country while blocking the work of the other side. The loser in all this? Us! FYI, just saw where the White House is saying steel will work instead on concrete, something the Dems have said they can live with. If they say no to this, then it is all on them since they have already said they can live with steel barriers.



bmw
Posts: 1083
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:02 am

Re: Predictions on how and when the shutdown ends

Post by bmw » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:09 pm

1 /880th of the budget. 1 out of 880.

Trump campaigned on building a wall. He was elected, at least in-part, to build a wall. That was a cornerstone of his campaign. Give him his damn wall.

Trump is standing on principle - the security of our nation. You may agree or disagree that a wall would enhance our security, but Trump's stand is a principled one. Democrats, on the other hand, are refusing to give him this money for two reasons - number 1, that they benefit as a political party from illegal immigration, and number 2, that building a wall would be a major victory for Trump, hence hampering their efforts to take back the White House in 2020.

Quite frankly, I think the democrats are making a political miscalculation here. The longer this goes on, the more blame will be directed towards House democrats for the reason that I stated above - I think more and more people will come to realize that democrats are stonewalling here for purely political reasons.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic