Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

West Michigan Top-of-Hour IDs

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
cckadlec

West Michigan Top-of-Hour IDs

Post by cckadlec » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:02 pm

Greetings all.

In advance of my 500 TOH ID project being released in about a week featuring the legal IDs of 500 regularly-heard area FM stations as recorded this summer, here are some regional IDs for now.

I have these recordings grouped by market (Milwaukee, Northern Michigan, Mid-Michigan, West Michigan, Detroit, Chicagoland, Green Bay, etc.) in addition to the full 5 1/2-hour compilation that is in somewhat procrastinated post-editing after my 130 hours of attended recordings were edited over the past 7 months.

Listen: FREMONT - 50 LOCAL STATIONS / TOP-OF-HOUR IDs

For the full 87-station compilation of the entire West Michigan region, check out the post below.

The completed project will be posted in the Engineering & DX'ing forum when completed and will be linked in this thread at that time as well for those who don't usually pay attention to those posts.

But in the meantime as I finish the full project, here is a compilation of my local stations here in Fremont - the 50 strongest stations as heard here - recorded on my portable Grundig G8 just walking around the living room.

Some notes: 100.1 fails to give a legal ID at all; they give a(n illegal) ID at the top of the hour as WVIB Muskegon instead of their proper required COL of Holton. No hidden IDs or any other legal IDs are given; maybe they just don't wanna associate their R&B music with a more... redneck... hamlet they're not targeting. WGHN Grand Haven gives only their standard ID they've been giving all year as "WTHN Grand Haven". I mean, listen all you want, but all their IDs say WTHN (like someone ordered a legal ID package over the phone, was misunderstood, and nobody wanted to correct it? Shame, as the station used to be top-notch all around and can't even get their IDs right or keep 93.1 from dead air constantly on weekends). WFBE in Flint does some funny business with their IDs too, but they've got enough that sometimes they run an easy-to-understand "WFBE" and other times a "WMT Flint" ID. I recorded them like 15 times trying to avoid those awkward ones.

In addition, I also have a compilation of West Michigan as a whole with 87 stations (as heard from home) which I can post soon enough and includes all the rest that most in this forum would tune in around the region.

Here is the station list for my fifty strongest stations from home:

MARKET TOP-OF-HOUR IDs: FREMONT LOCAL STATIONS (50 stations)
The 50 strongest stations as heard from Fremont

*88.1 WYCE MI Wyoming / 10kw / AAA (41 mi.)
*88.3 WSMZ MI Crystal Valley / 1.5kw / Smile FM (21 mi.)
*88.5 WGVU MI Allendale / 4kw / NPR Public //95.3 (28 mi.)
*88.7 WIAA MI Interlochen / 100kw / Classical IPR (57 mi.)
*88.9 WBLU MI Grand Rapids / 650w / Blue Lake Public R. //90.3 (37 mi.)
*89.3 WGNB MI Zeeland / 30kw / Moody Radio (44 mi.)
*89.5 WCMU MI Mt. Pleasant / 100kw / CMU Public R. (59 mi.)
*89.7 WNHG MI Grand Rapids / 3.2kw / Strong Tower R. (38 mi.)
*90.3 WBLV MI Twin Lake / 100kw / Blue Lake Public R. //88.9 (7 mi.)
*91.1 WOLW MI Cadillac / 50kw / The Promise FM (57 mi.)
*91.3 WCSG MI Grand Rapids / 37kw / Cont. Christian (49 mi.)
*91.7 WMCQ MI Muskegon / 6kw / American Family R. (11 mi.)
*92.1 WGHN MI Grand Haven / 6kw / Adult Contemp. (32 mi.)
*92.5 WLAW MI Newaygo / 2.25kw / Nash Icon (11 mi.)
*93.1 WMPA MI Ferrysburg / 6kw / Cl. Rock 93.1 (32 mi.)
*93.7 WBCT MI Grand Rapids / 320kw / B-93 (61 mi.)
*94.1 WWKR MI Hart / 5kw / K-Rock (21 mi.)
*94.5 WTNR MI Holland / 50kw / Nash FM (42 mi.)
*95.1 WIIL WI Union Grove / 50kw / WIIL Rock (117 mi.)
*95.3 WGVS MI Whitehall / 2kw / NPR Public //88.5 (21 mi.)
*95.7 WLHT MI Grand Rapids / 40kw / Mix 95.7 (33 mi.)
*96.1 WMAX MI Holland / 50kw / ESPN 96.1 FM (45 mi.)
*96.9 WLAV MI Grand Rapids / 20kw / 97 LAV-FM (43 mi.)
*97.3 WDEE MI Reed City / 2.85kw / Sunny 97.3 (27 mi.)
*97.5 WWSN MI Whitehall / 3kw / Sunny 97.5 (20 mi.)
*97.9 WGRD MI Grand Rapids / 13kw / 97-9 GRD (49 mi.)
*98.3 WLCS MI North Muskegon / 1.6kw / Cl. Hits 98.3 (15 mi.)
*98.7 WFGR MI Grand Rapids / 2.75kw / Cl. Hits (33 mi.)
*99.1 WMYX WI Milwaukee / 50kw / The Mix (113 mi.)
*99.3 WJQK MI Zeeland / 4.7kw / JQ99.3 (45 mi.)
*99.7 WUGN MI Midland / 100kw / Family Life R. (70 mi.)
*100.1 WVIB MI Holton / 2.9kw / V100 (15 mi.) +
*100.5 WTRV MI Walker / 3kw / The River (33 mi.)
*100.7 WKKV WI Racine / 50kw / V100.7 (116 mi.)
*100.9 WWBR MI Big Rapids / 6kw / Big Country (27 mi.)
*101.3 WBFX MI Grand Rapids / 50kw / The Brew (42 mi.)
*101.7 WMRR MI Muskegon Hts. / 12kw / Rock 101.7 (24 mi.)
*102.3 WYBR MI Big Rapids / 10.5kw / Y-102 (24 mi.)
*102.7 WMOM MI Pentwater / 6kw / MOM-FM (35 mi.)
*102.9 WFUR MI Grand Rapids / 50kw / Christian (38 mi.)
*103.5 WTCM MI Traverse City / 100kw / Country //93.5 (70 mi.)
*104.1 WVGR MI Grand Rapids / 96kw / Michigan R. (60 mi.)
*104.5 WSNX MI Muskegon / 32kw / CHR (19 mi.) x2
*105.3 WHTS MI Coopersville / 20kw / Hot FM (11 mi.)
*105.7 WSRW MI Grand Rapids / 265kw / Star 105.7 (60 mi.)
*106.3 WGLM MI Lakeview / 3kw / M106-3 & M-1380 (34 mi.)
*106.5 WVFM MI Kalamazoo / 33kw / FM 106.5 (72 mi.)
*106.9 WOOD MI Muskegon / 50kw / NewsRadio 106.9 & 1300 (18 mi.)
*107.3 WBBL MI Greenville / 50kw / Sports (43 mi.)
*107.9 WMUS MI Muskegon / 15kw / The Moose (24 mi.)

Of the stations (tower sites, specifically) shown on this map, the green ones are the top 50 in this mini-compilation; pink are simply translators included in the full project:

Last edited by cckadlec on Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

MisterGoodrich2U

Re: West Michigan Top-of-Hour IDs

Post by MisterGoodrich2U » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:26 pm

Holy smokes, he does say WTHN Grand Haven. Clear as a bell. WTF?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:00 pm

I love the length of the IDs for CMU Public Radio and Strong Tower Radio! :)

This is an absolutely phenomenal compilation, cckadlec. Thank you for sharing it!!!

BTW, the V/O guy on WGHN-FM is the same old fart that Michigan State uses for its football & basketball radio broadcasts. WGHN, Michigan State's radio network, and Farm Bureau (I think) are the only places I've ever heard his voice.

I'm a little surprised the WWKR TOH ID only mentions "Hart."

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:01 pm

Also, I absolutely love how clear 95 WIIL Rock sounds on that aircheck!

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:23 pm

MisterGoodrich2U wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:26 pm
Holy smokes, he does say WTHN Grand Haven. Clear as a bell. WTF?
Nooo kidding. Thank you for listening and confirming I am totally not insane (in a radio sense anyway).

I lived and breathed legal IDs for 7 straight months to the point when I hear them on the radio while in the car, I reach for my recorder without thinking. It's hard to believe I'm done with them. All of the recordings were taken while standing up holding my radio to the air, so there's nothing that makes me fume more than a f*cked up ID on the station's side because sometimes I sacrifice other IDs that are coming in well to record a specific one, and then the station messes it up by overlapping programming to ruin the ID, flat out not giving it and replacing it with dead air, or having STL link issues where the audio cuts out and ruins the ID. Been there, done that. All of them, plenty of times.

WWMN (rebroadcaster of the AM up north) was coming in great one night for hours at a time. I recorded multiple IDs and they would give half the ID and then halfway through, overlap programming with the second half, obliterating it. I have those recordings as examples I may add to a shaming blooper session at the end of the my compilation just as a middle finger for the lost time they caused me.

I've messed up my own recordings by my own fault (faulty connection in my recorder and splitter, recording too late, etc.), but it just makes me crazy when the station is incompetent instead. It can be hard to get some stations, like Columbus, Quad Cities, and Cleveland, so when I sacrifice one of those 250+ mile ones for a station that fails to run an ID, roar!!!! :evil:

But WGHN, *grunt*. I mean, I record it as it is. I can't help ridiculousness. Now their incompetence, whatever the cause of it, is documented here!

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:44 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:00 pm
I love the length of the IDs for CMU Public Radio and Strong Tower Radio! :)

This is an absolutely phenomenal compilation, cckadlec. Thank you for sharing it!!!

BTW, the V/O guy on WGHN-FM is the same old fart that Michigan State uses for its football & basketball radio broadcasts. WGHN, Michigan State's radio network, and Farm Bureau (I think) are the only places I've ever heard his voice.

I'm a little surprised the WWKR TOH ID only mentions "Hart."
Why, thank you. I'll put together the West Michigan one as well. I'm unsatisfied with my microphone issues in my own commentary and looking for solutions, so everything has run into delays (of the "spent a half year doing this; it must be perfect" kind, for the 20 people who will bother listening :( ).

So the WGHN guy is from out of town? I know it's common, but it's risky sometimes - though shouldn't be risky with basic call letters. I ran into Smile FM last night as I re-recorded an ID because both my 88.3s had the exact same song before their IDs back to back, so I wanted variety as it was awkward. The guy said "Smile FM, Grand Rapids' positive hits!" (... that's a new one to me). And then went into talking about an event at Van Andel arena but pronounced it as Van Ann-DELL. That, along with the intonation in their TOH IDs of "GRAND Haven" instead of how anyone from West Michigan says it: "Grand HAY-ven". I was like "... don't say you're a local station if you can't get the basics right. :? If you wanna be Michigan's Positive Hits and make those little errors, acceptable. But adding the local "Grand Rapids" mention and multiple intonation errors within 30 seconds, ... I dunno. Kudos for trying anyway. Edit: I'm acknowledging that WAWL-LP also says "GRAND Haven" (though in all my time working in town, I never heard anyone actually say that, so I wonder how rampant voice-men-for-hire is these days when you have your own DJs, or if it's an in-house ID).

It reminds me of when a new weatherman or news reporter comes to town and they're just starting but pronouncing town names wrong. Or a tourist in Miami saying "South BEACH" instead of the local intonation of "SOUTH Beach". Used to make me crazy. Ah, the English language. But... I think we can relate and forgive tourists and new TV personalities.

Yes, WWKR is pretty basic. I was expecting maybe they would give a different ID when they run Contemporary Christian programming on Sundays, but nope!! All automated I think. The only one that runs separate IDs for temporary format changes is The Van with their absolutely epic legal ID on Sunday (included in my stuff). I always imagine the announcer is gonna explode by the end of the ID.

And yes, WIIL has nothing standing in its way and we're at just the right elevation here with minimal signal loss. Even when they went off the air two or so week ago and went back on at low power, I could still hear them.
Last edited by cckadlec on Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:04 pm

I don't know the name of the V/O guy who does the WGHN and MSU stuff. No idea if he resides in Michigan or not.

If I had heard that TOH ID at random, I would've reached exactly the same conclusion as you guys.

I have very clear computer speakers, so when that ID popped up, I listened very closely. My verdict is that we all heard a poorly enunciated "G." :)

As an aside, how incredibly disappointing that even 103.5 WTCM-FM now plays pop music mislabeled as country music. Seriously... that song intro sounded like something one would hear on WHTS, WSNX, or WLHT. I was under the impression that they had generally resisted the boy artist / girl artist fad. Now, sadly, it appears they've jumped in head first (just like B93). Hopefully, they at least spin that garbage less frequently than B93 does!

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:22 pm

I'm still surprised WWKR keeps running that CCM programming on Sunday mornings, especially since there are not one, not two, but three CCM stations that put a decent signal over parts of its coverage area (88.3 WSMZ, which is on the same tower as WWKR, 90.5 WPFF, and 91.1 WOLW).

A few years ago, their ID used to be "WWKR Hart/Muskegon/Ludington/Manistee".

If WVIB's 70dBu signal includes Muskegon Heights, then WVIB and WMRR should swap COLs (as WMRR plays music that the Holton people would love).

Also, what stations just missed the cut?

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:16 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:22 pm
Also, what stations just missed the cut?
Hey, I didn't expect anyone would look into that question! I recall the stations I wanted to squeeze in there but also wanted to keep the number at 50, just as I had to make a few cuts to keep it at 500 total (note that it was originally 100, but things got out of hand... 200, 300 two weeks later, 400, holy crap? Oh heck, let's keep going! And I'm all for that!!).

WMUK was certainly an on-the-bubble station. It was my #51.

WBZX had some consideration originally as an "I'll think about it" station, but despite being 33 miles out, it's not very strong and the frequency is almost entirely occupied by IBOC unless you aim right at it. So if you're driving around town, you just hear IBOC and maybe a second or two of a song. 91.9 Cadillac packs a punch here too, BUT... only when you hit the right spot with the portable. Otherwise, Greenville eats at it. So neither are "local" or reliable.

89.7 Grand Rapids is included, but it's one of those I'm half-displeased with. Usually that means I drop it in the end, but I'll tune in and make a decision. Between Manistee and Milwaukee on 89.7 that are almost always in at the same time, it's like 103.9. It's there, but it's a mess.

All of these mini-compilations aren't final, so I could have sympathy for 102.1 instead. I actually just changed the ID of 106.1 Muskegon (it's very rare here, but has been in well for two days, so a last-minute chance for a better one!) and 101.3 GR (replaced their own mess-up featured in the above compilation with a better new one you can hear in the full West Michigan one below). I'm open to tweaking things last-minute.

When you spent thousands of hours (literally) on editing and more than 400 hours standing there monitoring stations for new targets before ID time and then attempting to record the IDs and ending with 140 hours of audio... you really want to be 100% pleased with the end result! :razz

cckadlec

West Michigan Top-of-Hour IDs (87 stations)

Post by cckadlec » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:29 pm

Here is the full West Michigan Top-of-Hour ID compilation as recorded while walking around the living room at home in Fremont on my Grundig G8 portable with my Olympus WS-821 voice recorder this summer and fall. This is different from the above locals-only compilation as it includes the entire area.

This compilation uses the broad boundaries for the West Michigan region:

* from Scottville to Reed City in the north (Northern Michigan to the north)
* straight down M-66 in the east (Mid-Michigan to the east of that)
* and a line just south of Battle Creek and Kalamazoo (both Michiana and Fort Wayne/Tri-State Area to the south of that)

Note that 90.1 Coldwater's signal lies well within that area as it is quite a distance northwest of Coldwater itself, but WIN 98.5 does not.

And yes, in the 107.7 (WBRN-AM) ID, that flipping of the station or whatever they're doing is on the studio side. It's like someone is there and right before the ID, goes through a few different feeds or stations to quickly get something else. Terrible distorted signal that I could only get a legal ID from every few hours.

Listen to the compilation here (55 min.)

MARKET TOP-OF-HOUR IDs: WEST MICHIGAN (87 stations)

*88.1 WYCE MI Wyoming / 10kw / AAA (41 mi.)
*88.3 WSMZ MI Crystal Valley / 1.5kw / Smile FM (21 mi.)
88.3 WCXK MI Kalamazoo / 10kw / Cont. Christian //91.3 (82 mi.)
*88.5 WGVU MI Allendale / 4kw / NPR Public //95.3 (28 mi.)
88.7 WSIS MI Riverside / 6kw / Smile FM (86 mi.)
*88.9 WBLU MI Grand Rapids / 650w / Blue Lake Public R. //90.3 (37 mi.)
88.9 WHEY MI North Muskegon / 1kw / Hey Radio (24 mi.)
*89.3 WGNB MI Zeeland / 30kw / Moody Radio (44 mi.)
*89.7 WNHG MI Grand Rapids / 3.2kw / Strong Tower R. (38 mi.)
89.9 WTHS MI Holland / 1kw / Voice of Hope College (48 mi.)
90.1 WYBA MI Coldwater / 32kw / BBN (99 mi.)
*90.3 WBLV MI Twin Lake / 100kw / Blue Lake Public R. //88.9 (7 mi.)
90.7 W214AY MI Walker / 13w / CSN International (35 mi.) +
90.9 WSLI MI Belding / 20kw / Smile FM //99.9 (41 mi.)
90.9 WCFG MI Springfield / 700w / Cont. Christian //91.3 (83 mi.)
*91.3 WCSG MI Grand Rapids / 37kw / Cont. Christian (49 mi.)
*91.7 WMCQ MI Muskegon / 6kw / American Family R. (11 mi.)
91.9 WDPW MI Greenville / 4kw / Power 91.9 (41 mi.)
*92.1 WGHN MI Grand Haven / 6kw / Adult Contemp. (32 mi.)
92.3 WRVU-LP MI Grand Rapids / 100w / R. Visión (46 mi.)
*92.5 WLAW MI Newaygo / 2.25kw / Nash Icon (11 mi.)
92.5 WZUU MI Mattawan / 4.7kw / The ZUU (85 mi.)
92.7 WYVN MI Saugatuck / 3.3kw / The Van (55 mi.) x2
92.7 W224BZ MI Ionia / 250w / AM Stereo I-1430 (54 mi.) x2
92.9 W225BL MI Grand Rapids / 250w / Christian //1570 (38 mi.)
*93.1 WMPA MI Ferrysburg / 6kw / Cl. Rock 93.1 (32 mi.)
93.1 WDLP-LP MI Belding / 100w / Montcalm Public R. (46 mi.)
93.3 W227CG MI Grand Rapids / 250w / La Poderosa //810 (38 mi.)
*93.7 WBCT MI Grand Rapids / 320kw / B-93 (61 mi.)
*94.1 WWKR MI Hart / 5kw / K-Rock (21 mi.)
*94.5 WTNR MI Holland / 50kw / Nash FM (42 mi.)
94.9 WKZC MI Scottville / 17kw / The Big Dog (47 mi.)
94.9 W235BN MI Grand Rapids / 250w / GR94.9 & 1530 (38 mi.)
94.9 W235CM MI Grand Haven / 250w / Oldies 94.9 (33 mi.)
*95.3 WGVS MI Whitehall / 2kw / NPR Public //88.5 (21 mi.)
95.3 WBCK MI Battle Creek / 3kw / News Talk (91 mi.)
95.3 W237CZ MI Grand Rapids / 250w / Public Reality R. //1680 (40 mi.)
*95.7 WLHT MI Grand Rapids / 40kw / Mix 95.7 (33 mi.)
*96.1 WMAX MI Holland / 50kw / ESPN 96.1 FM (45 mi.)
96.3 WKLA MI Ludington / 3.4kw / 96-3 KLA (40 mi.)
96.5 WZOX MI Portage / 6kw / Z 96.5 (88 mi.)
96.5 W243BD MI Zeeland / 250w / The Pledge //1260 (45 mi.)
*96.9 WLAV MI Grand Rapids / 20kw / 97 LAV-FM (43 mi.)
*97.3 WDEE MI Reed City / 2.85kw / Sunny 97.3 (27 mi.)
*97.5 WWSN MI Whitehall / 3kw / Sunny 97.5 (20 mi.)
*97.9 WGRD MI Grand Rapids / 13kw / 97-9 GRD (49 mi.)
*98.3 WLCS MI North Muskegon / 1.6kw / Cl. Hits 98.3 (15 mi.)
98.3 WCXT MI Hartford / 3.7kw / The Coast (86 mi.)
*98.7 WFGR MI Grand Rapids / 2.75kw / Cl. Hits (33 mi.)
98.7 WLDN MI Ludington / 5.5kw / News 97 & 98 //97.7 (40 mi.)
98.9 WAXT-LP MI Whitehall / 54w / Real Gold R. (20 mi.)
99.1 W256CC MI Big Rapids / 250w / Rewind 99.1 (27 mi.)
*99.3 WJQK MI Zeeland / 4.7kw / JQ99.3 (45 mi.)
99.9 W260CQ MI Plainfield Twp. / 10w / Smile FM //90.9 (37 mi.)
*100.1 WVIB MI Holton / 2.9kw / V100 (15 mi.) +
100.1 WBCH MI Hastings / 3kw / Country (67 mi.)
*100.5 WTRV MI Walker / 3kw / The River (33 mi.)
*100.9 WWBR MI Big Rapids / 6kw / Big Country (27 mi.)
100.9 WFFR-LP MI Roosevelt Park / 100w / Cl. Hits (25 mi.)
100.9 WQXC MI Allegan / 3kw / Cool 101 (67 mi.)
*101.3 WBFX MI Grand Rapids / 50kw / The Brew (42 mi.)
*101.7 WMRR MI Muskegon Hts. / 12kw / Rock 101.7 (24 mi.)
102.1 WMUK MI Kalamazoo / 49kw / Public (76 mi.)
*102.3 WYBR MI Big Rapids / 10.5kw / Y-102 (24 mi.)
102.5 W273CI MI Grand Haven / 250w / Smile FM //88.3 (19 mi.)
102.5 W273AR MI Paw Paw / 250w / K102.5 (82 mi.)
*102.7 WMOM MI Pentwater / 6kw / MOM-FM (35 mi.)
*102.9 WFUR MI Grand Rapids / 50kw / Christian (38 mi.)
103.3 WKFR MI Battle Creek / 50kw / 103.3 KFR (83 mi.)
103.5 WAWL-LP MI Grand Haven / 100w / Cl. Rock (31 mi.)
103.7 WCSY MI South Haven / 3kw / Cosy-FM (82 mi.)
103.7 WUVS-LP MI Muskegon / 100w / The Beat (23 mi.)
103.9 WBZX MI Big Rapids / 6kw / B103.9 (33 mi.)
*104.1 WVGR MI Grand Rapids / 96kw / Michigan R. (60 mi.)
*104.5 WSNX MI Muskegon / 32kw / CHR (19 mi.) x2
104.9 W285FO MI Grand Rapids / 250w / Magic 104.9 //1410 (38 mi.)
104.9 WBXX MI Marshall / 6kw / The Edge (95 mi.)
*105.3 WHTS MI Coopersville / 20kw / Hot FM (11 mi.)
*105.7 WSRW MI Grand Rapids / 265kw / Star 105.7 (60 mi.)
106.1 WUGM-LP MI Muskegon / 100w / M106-FM (23 mi.)
*106.3 WGLM MI Lakeview / 3kw / M106-3 & M-1380 (34 mi.)
*106.5 WVFM MI Kalamazoo / 33kw / FM 106.5 (72 mi.)
*106.9 WOOD MI Muskegon / 50kw / NewsRadio 106.9 & 1300 (18 mi.)
*107.3 WBBL MI Greenville / 50kw / Sports (43 mi.)
107.7 WRKR MI Portage / 50kw / Classic Rock (98 mi.)
107.7 W299BE MI Big Rapids / 250w / Newsradio 1460 WBRN (27 mi.)
*107.9 WMUS MI Muskegon / 15kw / The Moose (24 mi.)

MisterGoodrich2U

Post by MisterGoodrich2U » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:49 pm

I am currently listening to the audiobook of "Black Detroit." Being from Detroit, I am really irritated by the narrator pronouncing Gratiot as "Gra-tee-oht" and Dequindre as "Dee cue-in der" or something like it, instead of "Dee kwin dehr." He also botches Hamtramck into two syllables. |I

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:00 pm

Wow - a fella from the west side of the state has actually heard of Dequindre Rd! I'm impressed. I used to live less than two miles from Dequindre Rd.

When I first moved to the area in 2001, I once pronounced it Dee-kwin-dree. LOL

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:08 am

[quote=MWmetalhead post_id=555792 time=1546038029 user_id=2]
Wow - a fella from the west side of the state has actually heard of Dequindre Rd! I'm impressed. I used to live less than two miles from Dequindre Rd.

When I first moved to the area in 2001, I once pronounced it Dee-kwin-dree. LOL

I was born in Martin Place Hospital which is on Dequindre . It's now St John's Providence.

MisterGoodrich2U

Post by MisterGoodrich2U » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:09 pm

I may live in West Michigan now, but I was born at Grace Hospital in Detroit (I don't think it exists anymore) and grew up on the west side of the city of Detroit. I know how to pronounce my Detroit names! :hat

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:25 pm

You should take the botched/incorrect TOH clips and make one called "How NOT to ID your station".

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic