Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

97.1 the last few weeks..

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
lidoshuffle

97.1 the last few weeks..

Post by lidoshuffle » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:55 am

Sports radio has been bad, I mean bad the last few weeks, let me explain, it's the holidays so most of the Tkt's regular line up's are separated due to holiday time off, 95% of the talk has been Lion bashing..(rightfully so we all know the BS the Leo's have pushed on us for decades), We got Jeff Riger on a full time basis as a fill in during the holiday's, and you think Mike Valenti has negative rants and meltdowns...??? Mostly , sports radio in Detroit is bad because all four of our Professional sports franchises are terrible, none have any championship expectations let alone minuscule hope for a playoff appearance. Kyle Bogey basically wants Stafford banished to a deserted island than rather see him as QB another season with the Leo's, I like Wojo, he has been off all week, Jamie Samuelson as well, be glad when he and Stoney are back together in the AM. Just idle thoughts as I have my morning Joe and a donut this Friday am, listening to the Tkt....carry on, Happy New Year!!!

Majik

Re: 97.1 the last few weeks..

Post by Majik » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:45 am

I find it disappointing that in a metro area of some 4.3 million people, that there is a dearth of good on air talent.
It seems to me that when Riger is on he usually hijacks the show into a topic that is about him and the things he does. I can only take small does of it. I get that the ticket format gives you a lot of time for the hosts to talk about their personal life, but we need to hear less of that from Jeff Riger.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:28 pm

Jeff Rieger, Dennis Fithian, and Dan Leach aren't good enough to do weekend overnights in Munising.

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:33 pm

First off, I can't critique Valenti, or anyone else after about 3 in the afternoon. My listening is over by about then.
But I can comment on the crews between 6am and 2pm.

Is it a lack of good talent, or a lack of range of subjects? For me it's the latter.

For the past 4 months, it's bash the Lions for 4 days straight. Or have some topic that has nothing to do with sports. Today, the yahoo's are talking about boarding passes for getting on an airplane. I listened for a total of 13.5 seconds to The Ticket today.

I can remember back when the World Series was being played this year. I didn't hear a peep out of the two crews between 6am and 2pm about the series. I honestly think I can say that all I heard from them, from September to November, was Lions, Wolverines, Spartans, Lions, Wolverines, Spartans, Lions, Wolverines, Spartans.

Now I don't listen to them non-stop those 8 hours. But it just seems to be, all the pissing and moaning and groaning about Patricia's posse should be over by the end of the day on Tuesday. I won't argue they don't deserve it. But let's be honest, when all you do is cry about the Lions for 5 days straight, you already made your point 32 times on Monday. May as well just play a tape of Monday's show over and over again. Because Tuesday thru Friday is just a rehash, yes or no? Who wants to hear that for 5 days straight. I don't. I listen on Monday. And if on Tuesday it's The Broken Record Show, I hit another button.

And instead of this "What's your favorite movie" crap, can't they talk about the Mudhens, or the Spitfires, maybe even mention the Pistons from time to time. There needs to be a bit of variety (and I mean SPORTS variety) on this radio station from 6am to 2pm.

Having said all that, Stoney should retire. He's wore out. He's old. He's tired. Can you really disagree with me?
And he does not have a radio voice. Way too whiney. He could do a eulogy for his best friend, and it would sound like he's whining.

Just my personal opinions.

Majik

Post by Majik » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:42 pm

Agree about Stoney, that one has run it’s course. Also can’t argue about Leech, Fithian and add Bogie to that.

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:20 am

I agree the Lion bashing is over done, but when you say you want Piston talk?? Have you watched the 'stons ?? I was at a local sports bar Friday eve with friends, as we celebrated the incoming new year we were watching the 'stons and Indiana Pacers. My god the Pistons looked pathetic...I make better passes at younger women in a bar than Reggie Jackson does on the court, and as for talking about minor league sports, come on, be real, that would get no response from anyone, 97.1 talks about what gets people to listen, when they rant about the Leo's, that get's listeners, in turn that brings in revenue. And, it's just me I suppose, I have no issue with Fithian, or Leach, rather Leach than Riger, Bogey is tolerable when Wojo is with him, Stoney is ok with me, just my opinions...

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:38 am

Let's face it...Valenti is the only thing the station has going for themselves. Like him or not....he's the one people are listening to.

jakedude

Post by jakedude » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:49 am

I have lived in much smaller markets with stronger talent than Detroit musters. I can no longer listen to the ticket after 2 PM. I do not "get" the inside jokes Mike deals with his staff. How can they continue to allow the payton place attitude he fosters to continue? I am not sure a co-host could save him from himself. Does the station management have ears and grey matter?

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:18 pm

Valenti is the sh*t!! He knows his stuff and backs it up, I enjoy his show, mostly it's hardcore UM football fans who dislike Mikey V. I do wish he did have a co-host, always hoping Matt Dery would return to the Ticket and be his partner...

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:18 pm

I stopped listening about 3 years ago because of all the off topic junk, the producers chiming in, and the dumb callers. National radio with guests who talk about sports is 1000x better than what XYT provides. It's time to make your break.

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:36 pm

wtfdetroit wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:18 pm
I stopped listening about 3 years ago because of all the off topic junk, the producers chiming in, and the dumb callers. National radio with guests who talk about sports is 1000x better than what XYT provides. It's time to make your break.
Agree on all the chatter. In my personal opinion, that's what killed AM 1270. From about 15 minutes before a shift change to 20 minutes after, there was 8 people talking at once. And 4 people talking all at once any other time.
What radio listener wouldn't get a headache and reach for the button and find another station?
But before I leave that aspect, I sometimes wonder if it would be a better show if the two headliners shut their face and just let the producer and the screener do the show. To me anyway, the comments I hear from the younger people screening and producing are more pertinent than the blah blah from the two fatheads with their name in lights. (like I said in a previous post, I can only critique before 2pm, I rarely listen after about 3pm).

And your comment about callers is spot on. Myself, I'd like to see zero callers. They rarely bring anything of substance to the conversation.
And more importantly, callers usually sound like crap. How many callers cell phones don't sound like a tin can on a string?
Sometimes it's so bad I wonder why the screener let it go thru.
I honestly wonder if, to the people in the station, the caller don't sound as bad as it is going over the air.

D.j.m.

Post by D.j.m. » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:26 pm

The Lions are bad. What are they supposed to say?

What do you do in a sports radio market when none of the teams are good? And why would they axe callers? It's an easy crutch.

It's why I'm glad there's the Dan Le Batard show. That show is an oasis from sports radio and most people, especially in this market, that take sports WAY. TOO. SERIOUSLY.

Andy Sipowicz

Post by Andy Sipowicz » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:18 pm

lidoshuffle wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:18 pm
Valenti is a worthless piece of sh*t!!
Fixed.

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:57 pm

Andy Sipowicz wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:18 pm
lidoshuffle wrote:
Valenti is a worthless piece of sh*t!!
Fixed.
F*ck off junior...

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:59 pm

Andy Sipowicz wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:18 pm
lidoshuffle wrote:
"Andy Sipowicz" don't listen then, twat waffle....

Fixed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic