Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Man, Chrysler/Jeep makes shitty cars...

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Man, Chrysler/Jeep makes shitty cars...

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:50 pm

I work downtown most days, so I have to walk from a parking garage to my office building.

December, for the most part, has been relatively mild in Detroit. Most mornings have been in the upper 20's & low 30's. Afternoons have generally been in the 30's to low 40's.

In the last two weeks as I've walked, I've witnessed engines completely kill while idling (at traffic lights or stop signs) in not one, not two, but three (!!!) late model Jeeps. :lol

Two were a Jeep Compass. The third was a Jeep Cherokee.

Anti-theft devices in Chrysler vehicles - especially Jeep vehicles - also like to sound the alarm for no apparent reason.

Word to the wise - if you are considering any Fiat Chrysler automobile other than minivan, LEASE...don't BUY!!! :hat

Interesting articles:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 43421.html
https://www.hotcars.com/20-chrysler-car ... -junkyard/

TC Talks

Re: Man, Chrysler/Jeep makes shitty cars...

Post by TC Talks » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:13 pm

One could offer the same argument about most every non-asian car.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:31 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:13 pm
And one would be an idiot. Chrysler truly makes garbage from design to operation. They flat out suck.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:20 am

I've owned two Chargers and they were the nicest cars I ever had. My last two vehicles have been Chevrolet Equinox. Boring but reliable. At this point in my life, I don't need excitement.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:20 am

I owned a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 and was underwhelmed. I was the second owner but my former employer was the first owner and I was the primary driver so I knew it's history.

As my 2002 Honda with 178000 miles has become a bit scary to take on longer trips my wife and I bought a new car. I wanted to buy domestic but since we have a tight budget and keep cars till they die we got a Kia Rio. So far so good but 4 months and 4800 miles is way too soon to tell.

I no longer directly engage trolls

kc8yqq

Post by kc8yqq » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:17 am

I have given up on the so-called American made cars. They may assembled here in the states, but a lot of the parts come from all over the world.

I've never cared much for Chrysler vehicles and was disappointed when they bought American Motors.

GM, we bought a new 1985 Chevy Cavalier off the lot and had it rustproofed. Started rusting underneath the paint after a year. Before that, it was leaking oil off the top of the engine...some sort of putty was used instead of the traditional gasket. The dealer and GM would not do anything. So, no more GM vehicles for us.

A few years ago my wife bought a new 2014 Ford Escape off the lot. I forgot how many recalls (at least 6) there were on the vehicle in the year she owned it. Also had a 1997 F350 I bought used in 2001 and got a recall notice in 2007 that it may catch on fire. I had a 2005 F350 that intermittently wouldn't start. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the fuel filter and pump, and said there were more problems but didn't know what they were. They said it would take a week and at least another $2300. So, no more Fords for us.

Now we are a 3 Subaru family. My commuter car is a 2004 WRX with 533k miles on it. Still has the original engine and exhaust system. I bought this car new off the lot. Over the years there were 4 recall notices, all minor. The largest repair work on it was replacing the manual transmission nearly 2 years ago and then the problem was it wouldn't stay in 5th gear. I also have a 2006 Baja that I bought over 2 years ago (to replace the 2005 F350) and am 2nd owner. No major repairs so far. My wife bought a new 2015 Legacy and it has been a good car so far. It has had a few recalls (all minor) and most was reprogramming the computer.

Sorry about the long post.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:17 am

NS8401 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:31 pm
TC Talks wrote:
And one would be an idiot. Chrysler truly makes garbage from design to operation. They flat out suck.
I don't think so. I have owned 29+ cars within my family, Toyota and Subaru have had the least issues.

My Toyota truck (used to haul cars around) has 360,000 with the original drivetrain. I believe I've only changed the alternator. It has no rust.

I suppose if you are someone who leases vehicles it doesn't matter as much as when you buy with the intention to keep it for a long time.

I guess my biggest beef with the big three is that they don't stand behind vehicles that come up with problems. Sure, they do recalls but only after Federal lawsuits and class action.

I once had someone who worked for General Motors try to convince me that my expectations for vehicles were too great. He suggested that a hundred thousand miles was all I should expect from a car. I think that attitude is shared by many in the US.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:14 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:50 pm
In the last two weeks as I've walked, I've witnessed engines completely kill while idling (at traffic lights or stop signs) in not one, not two, but three (!!!) late model Jeeps. :lol
You sure that wasn't the auto start/stop that was engaging when the car was stopped at a light? That's supposed to happen. Manufacturers put them there to squeeze every little bit of fuel economy out of a vehicle they can (everything helps the CAFE numbers offset the big trucks and SUVs sold).

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:33 am

Hmmm...

I have a 2008 Ram 1500 Mega Cab that I use for hauling equipment and such. It has 238,000 miles on it and still running strong. I have had to replace the U Joint on it but other than that and normal replacement of parts that wear out over time (shocks etc.) I have had no problems and am very satisfied.

Mama drives a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I purchased at auction as her regular car. We have had to replace worn ball joints and tie rods. That's it.

We're a rather satisfied Chrysler/Jeep family. In fact, I just purchased a used Renegade for my daughter.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:58 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:17 am
NS8401 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:31 pm
TC Talks wrote:
I don't think so. I have owned 29+ cars within my family, Toyota and Subaru have had the least issues.

My Toyota truck (used to haul cars around) has 360,000 with the original drivetrain. I believe I've only changed the alternator. It has no rust.

I suppose if you are someone who leases vehicles it doesn't matter as much as when you buy with the intention to keep it for a long time.

I guess my biggest beef with the big three is that they don't stand behind vehicles that come up with problems. Sure, they do recalls but only after Federal lawsuits and class action.

I once had someone who worked for General Motors try to convince me that my expectations for vehicles were too great. He suggested that a hundred thousand miles was all I should expect from a car. I think that attitude is shared by many in the US.
I also have the feeling many foreign owners are both car illiterate and expect that they buy a car and it lasts literally forever with no issues... for many I’ve talked to one issue in 10 years makes it a crappy car and the manufacturer should go to hell... Japanese cars aren’t that bulletproof these days and quality is different in a minute way across all manufacturers...

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:17 pm

I generally trust what Edmunds reviews say.

― Noam Chomsky

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:40 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:17 pm
I generally trust what Edmunds reviews say.
To each his own. But those cars aren’t perfect and some guy reviewing a car may suddenly look like an imbecile once you drive the thing. Reviews are not exactly an exact science in something as subjective as a car. For example my wife’s parents have a Honda CR-V and a Honda Accord... then are ok I guess but I wouldn’t fall all over myself to go drive either... they are a total snooze and they’ve had suspension issues with the accord and it’s only 6... so once these machines age they all have problems...

What about Takata airbags by the way? Toyota and Honda were ground zero for killing people with shrapnel and they kept installing the things until the recalls started. Surely they must have had an inkling the things were bad... There goes your “at least they are honest” right out the window... nobody is gonna do a multi-million car recall because it’s the right thing to do...

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:53 pm

They are in many US cars. My Audi is in that recall too.

― Noam Chomsky

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:55 pm

My vehicle purchase decisions must pass two filters. Must be built in North America. Must be Union built.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:11 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:53 pm
They are in many US cars. My Audi is in that recall too.
But they were in literally every Honda and Toyota... so yes it wasn’t exclusive but it was the epicenter of the biggest safety scandal since “unsafe at any speed”...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic