Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hypocrite! Step down!

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
whitebalance

Re: Hypocrite! Step down!

Post by whitebalance » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:10 pm

No one is stepping down.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:27 pm

I doubt someone called the cops just because they saw a vehicle parked alongside the road, as the article states. Someone likely observed Sheriff Stephenson driving erratically.

Kudos to Kalkaska County for booking him and not giving him special treatment.

I respect the fact Sheriff Stephenson has taken responsibility for his actions.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:35 pm

I used to hang out with a Cheif of Police in a different state who was drunk much of hunting season. The state police arrested him, but nobody wanted to serve on the jury.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:46 pm

Since when does "wanting" to serve on a jury matter? Individuals are mandated by law to serve if summoned and can only be dismissed if (a) either the prosecutor or defense attorney wish to use what is known as a peremptory exemption, (b) the Judge agrees to excuse said juror, or (c) a full jury has already been impaneled as a result of the selection process and said person's service is no longer needed.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:29 am

True. The last time I was called for jury duty it was a home invasion trial. The defendant was accused of forcing his way into his ex-girlfriend's house when she refused to let him in. I was selected as a replacement juror after a few folks had been exempted by the attorneys for various reasons, mostly by the defense because they had been victims of B&E's. The judge asked if I had any past experienced that was relevant to their questioning. I mentioned that my house was robbed in 1985 shortly after my mom's passing (when addresses were published in the obits). He asked if I thought the event would influence my deliberation. I told him it was so long ago that I didn't believe it would. The defense attorney felt otherwise and motioned for my exemption on the next round. The judge granted the exemption and thanked me for my service.

The attorney's motion, in hindsight, was a prudent move. Even though I didn't personally believe I harbored a bias, he didn't want anyone who ever had such an experience sitting on the jury because biases can be deep-seated. The judge had reasonable cause to grant the motion. He/she is the only one who can ultimately excuse a juror.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:26 pm

I had a similar experience. I was a potential juror for a trial where the defendant (who was convicted on all charges) was charged with murder, personal imprisonment, use of deadly weapon in commission of a robbery, carjacking, and several other charges, all of which were associated with three separate criminal events committed within days of each other.

One of the crimes involved robbery of a bank branch at gunpoint.

I don't work in a bank branch, but I've been employed as a commercial banker for the entirety of my post collegiate career.

That fact made the defense a little anxious. He used one of his peremptory exemptions to dismiss me from service. Peremptory exemptions are automatically granted. In Macomb County, each side is given a limited number of these to use. I am unsure as to the number. I was one of the first 14 numbers drawn to sit in the jury box, and I was afraid I was going to be stuck serving on jury duty for two weeks! I got lucky.

DAC

Post by DAC » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:52 pm

Who is defending him?

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:16 pm

Rumor? You spreading rumors?

SaginawSid

Post by SaginawSid » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:55 am

The video is proof-positive that his written and spoken apologies were just a self-serving effort to save his own neck. In other words, he not put the public at great risk by driving that day, he is also a liar. He is an embarrassment, not only to the Midland community but to all duty-bound honorable law enforcement officers everywhere.

"Hey Mr. Businessman, you can't dress like me."
-- Jimi Hendrix

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic