Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hulu or Netflix?

A place to discuss broadband, streaming video, cable, and satellite services (not programming). Bitch about your crappy cable, satellite or streaming video provider here! This is also the place to talk about channel line-ups, packages, and special offers.
Deleted User 10525

Hulu or Netflix?

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:39 pm

Which one is better? I am not so much a movie guy but am more into TV shows, like ones from the 1990s and older. Some British sitcoms. Which one is a better service for that?

ZenithCKLW

Re: Hulu or Netflix?

Post by ZenithCKLW » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:15 pm

I have both. Hulu might be more what you’re looking for. I’d say Netflix is 75% movies and 25% TV, and Hulu is 75% TV and 25% movies.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:54 pm

Is there one that's 99% radio and 1% TV?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:02 pm

I just got a Hulu deal @ 99 cents a month for a year.
I've been a Netflix guy for several years.
Still exploring Hulu.

I no longer directly engage trolls

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:03 pm

Get yourself a nice TV/radio combo unit.

Or if this is a serious question, you can get a streaming player like a Roku and use only streaming radio apps on it and maybe a Youtube app if you still want that 1% TV

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:09 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:03 pm

Or if this is a serious question, you can get a streaming player like a Roku and use only streaming radio apps on it and maybe a Youtube app if you still want that 1% TV

No. It wasn't really a serious question. I listen to only radio. Streaming radio is no more like real radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:39 pm

What device do you have I have a Roku and have Hulu and Xfinity Instant TV ,my Xfinity is $40.a month and Hulu $7.99 a month ,now as far as free the Roku by itself has tons of free stuff TV shows and Movies there’s a channel called Pluto that’s like it own TV service that alone has about 60 or so channels from News,Sports ,Movies and some Gaming and Tech Channels actually pretty damn cool stuff.And radio you can get a IHeart,Tune In ,Radio.com and 2 others.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:51 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:09 pm
ZenithCKLW wrote:

No. It wasn't really a serious question. I listen to only radio. Streaming radio is no more like real radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining.
Yea, I agree with that.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:07 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:09 pm
ZenithCKLW wrote:

Frankly, I think you would love ROKU TT. It has a channel called Tune In. There you have access to over 100,000 LOCAL radio stations around the world. You also have access to Iheartradio, last I remember there were around 1500 stations participating.

I got it for HockeyTV so I can watch my nephew's games live (as well as other Junior and College hockey) and have found the Tune In channel to be a big bonus. All for 29.95.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:09 pm

Sirius XM offers high quality streaming through Roku and numerous other smart TV services.

Also found an interesting app on my Samsung smart TV called vTuner. There is some duplication between that one and Tune In, but I've found a number of instances where vTuner offers high quality radio station streams that Tune In only offers in low quality, or in some cases, doesn't offer at all!

The vTuner interface sucks, but with some patience, I've been able to find some great stations.

Even my home theater receiver has internet radio & music streaming widgets pre-installed. Was listening to 96.5 Jack FM from Kalamazoo via that method earlier today!

For anyone considering purchasing a new TV, don't pay extra just for the smart apps. If you have an Xfinity X1 box, you already have Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, iHeartRadio and any number of other services. If that isn't good enough, you can buy a Roku or Fire TV stick for $35 or $40 as compared to the extra $100 you'd likely be paying to upgrade your "dumb" TV model to a smart TV model.

I actually broke my own rule above and bought an Insignia with Roku built-in. (It was still cheaper than major name brand "dumb" TVs.) I've been VERY happy with it!

Roku is a great service, especially if you're a cord cutter. Roku can also be used as a gateway for accessing DirectTV Now, Sling, YouTube TV, PlayStation Vue, and similar services. Just need to have high-speed internet access and a Wi-Fi router in your home.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:28 pm

Honestly neither are "better" in my opinion.
It all depends on what you are trying to watch.

I have a subscription to both due to that exact reason. If something is on Hulu, it's not likely going to be on Netflix, and vice versa

Music is my life.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:49 am

Does anyone have any opinions about Amazon Prime Video vs. Netflix?

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:38 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:49 am
Does anyone have any opinions about Amazon Prime Video vs. Netflix?
My take is Netflix has a deeper catalog of motion pictures than does Prime. Both services seem to be drifting toward in-house series than in times past (less expensive than film rights?) Also, Netflix seems a little more open to programming "Art House" type films (think IFC), HBO-type stand-up comedy showcases and a very robust collection of documentaries.

In simpler terms, Prime is like going into a Best Buy/WalMart/Meijer and selecting a DVD off the shelf (mostly new releases and the $5.00 bin) and Netflix is more like a well curated mom & pop video rental store. Not surprisingly Amazon would really love you to buy or rent content that might not have wildly popular appeal rather than dig through the stacks to find the something high quality and little different yet still part of the base subscription price.

If you're already a Prime member the video service represents a very nice addition to all the other valuable 'perks' you receive but I'm not sure it could compete as a stand-alone service in terms of sheer amount of variety considering the pricing is more or less the same as a Netflix subscription.

Hope this helps...

(I forgot to mention, Prime does excel at providing apps that allow you to tap into live local TV station newscasts from across the county. Also there's an app for CBSN, CBS's excellent 24/7 news service. The major sports league apps (MLB.TV and such) work really well on Prime, much better in my opinion than the performance of the same app on a Smart TV. I think they are more vigilant about updating the software than what is baked in the TV)

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:05 am

Hulu used to suffer a lot with connectivity. More than once, techs had me playing games with DNS strings to get it to work, I believe this is all in the past but as recent as 5 years ago, the service was sketchy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:28 am

Good info, Lester. Thank you!

I was considering dumping my Netflix subscription since I already have a Prime subscription (which I obtained for shopping reasons). However, I think I'm gonna keep my Netflix for now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic