Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Testing 1 2 3

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Arthur Mometer

Testing 1 2 3

Post by Arthur Mometer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:17 pm

Last edited by Arthur Mometer on Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

Turkeytop

Re: Testing 1 2 3

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:12 pm

When I was a kid and we got our first ever TV in the house, there was only one channel available. It didn't sign on until about 5:00 PM every day. But, for 30 minutes before signing on, they would show the test pattern. I used to hurry home from school to watch it. That picture of an Indian chief was pretty riveting TV, for a ten year old.

Admitting you have a problem is the second step. The first step is finding a problem you really enjoy.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:21 pm

I was going to use it to test my new door and dog camera. Then I thought I'd test posting images again.

Watch this space!

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:16 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:12 pm
When I was a kid and we got our first ever TV in the house, there was only one channel available. It didn't sign on until about 5:00 PM every day. But, for 30 minutes before signing on, they would show the test pattern. I used to hurry home from school to watch it. That picture of an Indian chief was pretty riveting TV, for a ten year old.
The local newspaper used to list the programs for our only TV channel, every night. For the 4:30 to 5 PM slot every day, they listed "Test Pattern." So, I believed that Test Pattern was a real program. I was one of its biggest fans.

My mother always made me turn down the audio, a 1 KHZ tone

Admitting you have a problem is the second step. The first step is finding a problem you really enjoy.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:29 pm

Was that CKNX-TV?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:49 pm

Arthur Mometer wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:29 pm
Was that CKNX-TV?

Yes. Ch 8.
How did you guess?

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:00 pm

Very soon after we got our first TV in 1956, on one Sunday Morning, a religious broadcast appeared on Channel 8 with little noise or interference, but no ID was given. It could have been WOOD-TV or WJW-TV, but there was something different about it, and I later wondered if it was CKNX-TV. It faded out after a couple of hours. When we got a better antenna and a rotator, it was a more regularly seen station.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:04 pm

1 kHz tone with color bar test pattern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMHxn7Wlyxo

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:41 pm

Arthur Mometer wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:00 pm
Very soon after we got our first TV in 1956, on one Sunday Morning, a religious broadcast appeared on Channel 8 with little noise or interference, but no ID was given. It could have been WOOD-TV or WJW-TV, but there was something different about it, and I later wondered if it was CKNX-TV. It faded out after a couple of hours. When we got a better antenna and a rotator, it was a more regularly seen station.
But, how did you know that was the one to which I referred?

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:28 am

You may have mentioned it before.

I remember hearing CKNX 920 back in 1967 near Harrisville, MI.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:37 am

CKNX is one of the oldest radio stations in Canada. It was started by a man named Doc Cruikshank. He owned a radio store in the town and decided the best way to increase sales would be to start up a local radio station.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:50 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:37 am
CKNX is one of the oldest radio stations in Canada. It was started by a man named Doc Cruikshank. He owned a radio store in the town and decided the best way to increase sales would be to start up a local radio station.
CKNX moved to 920 from 1200 and briefly 1230 circa 1941. They probably would have applied to move to 890 before NARBA, but had to modify to 920. Under the US Canada Agreement, the 0.5 mV/m ground wave contour could not overlap the 0.5 mV/m ground wave contour of WFDF except over Lake Huron. WFDF was to move to 880 from 1310, but with NARBA moved to 910. The Treaty overlap rules continue to be an important consideration for WFDF and CKNX.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:15 pm

Here, in London ON, about 80 miles south of their transmitter site CKNX radio has a fair signal during daylight hours.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:58 pm

I remember seeing the array when we went to that area on vacation. A few miles south of the array was a building that beacons as porch lights. I assume it was the original studio?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:30 pm

audiophile wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:58 pm
I remember seeing the array when we went to that area on vacation. A few miles south of the array was a building that beacons as porch lights. I assume it was the original studio?
Or maybe they bought them from that Elrod fellow who cuts the towers down of stations he doesn't like.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic