Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Predictions for 2019

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
stopnswop2

Re: Predictions for 2019

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:22 pm

Yea, they have come quite far from "today's hits without the rap"

Music is my life.

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:24 pm

1027Brian this seems to be the trend in large markets especially for right wing talk look at how many FM stations Salem has that are talk and look at New York City the Have 2 FM sports ESPN at 98.7 and The Fan at 101.9 Washington DC has I believe 2 FM talkers so it really is not a waste of signal if it’s profitable so maybe Detroit is ready for FM Talk or News.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:25 am

It's still VERY early for a "2019 prediction" thread. Usually these come around mid-December.

That said - a sucker is born every minute, and I'm a sucker. 8o

So, here goes nothing!

TV
-WXYZ remains an "also ran" in the Adults 25-54 local news ratings and will see a shakeup (again) prior to December 2019.
-Tara Edwards and Malcom Maddox settle out of court.
-A very well known news anchor will announce a retirement.
-The new primary Tigers TV broadcast team will consist of Matt Shepard and Dan Petry. As usual, clueless Lynn Henning will be proven wrong. No prominent, nationally known play-by-play man is going to come to the rusty city of Detroit to handle PBP duties for a team that'll be a stinking pile of garbage for at least three more seasons. It is NOT one of the most coveted broadcasting jobs in major league baseball. The Tigers will issue some insipid press release stating "their national search" led them to "our own backyard."

Radio
-Doug Podell will succeed Robbie Bridges as Director of FM Programming for Cumulus Detroit.
-Gnash will survive the year; Fault 106.7 will not. (Fault 106.7 will be moved to an HD-2 channel.)
-No ownership changes among Detroit's FM stations.
-105.1 The Bounce begins to add songs from 2010 onward but stays away from currents & recurrents.
-WOMC will re-introduce a limited number of 90's songs before the year is through.
-98.7 The Breeze attracts age 6+ ratings around a 3.0 share. WNIC is most greatly affected, losing about 1.5 shares.
-Beasley Media decides to make the 9a - 10:30a portion of the Dave & Chuck show local only in order to combat sagging ratings at WRIF. They continue to be non-factors in Beantown.
-Channel 9-5-5 will see average numbers in the 6.5 to 7.0 range, making it one of the highest rated major market CHRs in the entire country.
-There will be substantial programming changes of some kind at WJR.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:25 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:25 am
-105.1 The Bounce begins to add songs from 2010 onward but stays away from currents & recurrents.
I have already heard "Hold On We're Going Home" by our favorite Drake on 105.1 in recent months. That was a single that charted in 2013. I think you're right that they really start pushing higher charting songs post 2010.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:30 am

I predict both WDFN and 97.1 The Ticket become crappy pop music stations to accommodate all those music-challenged Detroiters who need another outlet which blares garbage masquerading as music to a gullible audience.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:19 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:

Radio

-98.7 The Breeze attracts age 6+ ratings around a 3.0 share. WNIC is most greatly affected, losing about 1.5 shares.
3.0 share ? 😂

So you are convinced people will still prefer WNIC's nonsense Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga playlist over The Breeze's Elton John, Rod Stewart playlist?

I mean have you actually sat down and attempted to listen to WNIC for more than 10 minutes?
It's a disaster.

Music is my life.

rizzman87

Post by rizzman87 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:28 pm

RadioKev wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:58 pm
Look at how many AM Stations in Detroit are doing sports and none are even registering a 0.1 in any ratings why and how are they existing even if they received a 0.5 in a book Iheart should sell 1130 and the same goes for Entercom with 1270 I’m sure some Ethnic or Religious Companies would be interested in those stations also we can’t forget about The Mighty 1090 WCAR They’re also some type of sports format.
In fairness 97.1 is the only place to get LOCAL sports 24/7 in Detroit. The ones you mentioned are primarily or totally national with the exception of 1090 which makes WDFN look like 97.1 with all the static.

rizzman87

Post by rizzman87 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:40 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
It's still VERY early for a "2019 prediction" thread. Usually these come around mid-December.

That said - a sucker is born every minute, and I'm a sucker. 8o

So, here goes nothing!

TV
-WXYZ remains an "also ran" in the Adults 25-54 local news ratings and will see a shakeup (again) prior to December 2019.
-Tara Edwards and Malcom Maddox settle out of court.
-A very well known news anchor will announce a retirement.
-The new primary Tigers TV broadcast team will consist of Matt Shepard and Dan Petry. As usual, clueless Lynn Henning will be proven wrong. No prominent, nationally known play-by-play man is going to come to the rusty city of Detroit to handle PBP duties for a team that'll be a stinking pile of garbage for at least three more seasons. It is NOT one of the most coveted broadcasting jobs in major league baseball. The Tigers will issue some insipid press release stating "their national search" led them to "our own backyard."

Radio
-Doug Podell will succeed Robbie Bridges as Director of FM Programming for Cumulus Detroit.
-Gnash will survive the year; Fault 106.7 will not. (Fault 106.7 will be moved to an HD-2 channel.)
-No ownership changes among Detroit's FM stations.
-WOMC will re-introduce a limited number of 90's songs before the year is through.
-Beasley Media decides to make the 9a - 10:30a portion of the Dave & Chuck show local only in order to combat sagging ratings at WRIF. They continue to be non-factors in Beantown.
-Channel 9-5-5 will see average numbers in the 6.5 to 7.0 range, making it one of the highest rated major market CHRs in the entire country.
-There will be substantial programming changes of some kind at WJR.
The Tigers will be "garbage" for one more year and then I think we'll start seeing the turnaround. I do agree it's not the Yankees or Red Sox job but Shep and Petry aren't bad choices at all.
My only predictions are
1. DFN officially goes to News talk not sports
2. WJR or WWJ have an FM station.
Unfortunately I dont see anyone trying another sports station until the Tigers and Wings contract expires in I think two more years. By then HOPEFULLY they will be competitive.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:50 pm

I mean have you actually sat down and attempted to listen to WNIC for more than 10 minutes?
It's a disaster.
I will say WNIC sounded better - musically - in the first half of 2018 than the second half of 2018.

It wouldn't surprise me if 98.7 sees higher numbers than a 3 share for a period, maybe as high as mid 4's, but I think the numbers will cool off and settle around a 3 share long term. There's a reason 93.1 WLTI went away, WNIC went more contemporary, and Magic 105.1 constantly messed with its music mix (after its first five years on the air). Classic soft hits in recent years have not been in high demand in this town.

If Entercom breaks the mold and sees good ratings with 98.7, they will be deserving of major accolades.

WNIC isn't the only incumbent AC station in this town. WDVD has been playing a LOT of stuff from the mid 80's through the 90's lately and is nowhere nearly as current & recurrent driven as it once was.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:30 am

If Entercom takes the Cheap Channel/Cume-less approach with 98.7 The Breeze and has voiced tracked dayparts (say Mornings and Nights) then the station is almost certain to fail right? I would imagine they aren't beating WNIC without being live and local all day and night? John Tesh in the morning ain't winning anyone over. :barf

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:51 am

Entercom has this thing about wanting live and local content (which I praise them for), so I don't expect any cappy voice tracked shows, thank God.

Music is my life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic