Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Now that Midwest is fixing up its K'zoo cluster...

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Now that Midwest is fixing up its K'zoo cluster...

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:52 am

...how about putting the piles of shit known as 92.1 Fuel FM and i92.9 in the Lansing area out to pasture?

Could you imagine being someone tasked with having to SELL those two floundering radio stations to advertisers?!?!

I mean, i92.9 does sound bad - but at least it has a couple decent sounding dayparts, fairly coherent playlist, and a halfway decent signal in the most heavily populated zip codes of the market. However, the syndicated morning & nighttime shows are unappealing, the audio processing sounds like mush on most songs, and its signal penetration is flimsy compared to 97.5.

92.1 doesn't even have *that* much going for it. ZERO local programming. An even WORSE signal than 92.1. HORRIBLE playlist. HORRIBLE stationality in general.

Is there some moron sitting in the GM or GSM chair in Lansing or in a corporate programming chair in Wisconsin who actually thinks the steaming pile of garbage on 92.1 has upside potential ?!?!

Schyster

Re: Now that Midwest is fixing up its K'zoo cluster...

Post by Schyster » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:43 pm

I seriously wonder if anyone is aware Fuel 92.1 even exists. There has been zero promotion to the station. The only publicity the new format received was an article in the LSJ, and that dealt more with the death of the sports format. The playlist is all over the place, and I can't imagine anyone being able to stomach listening more than 10 minutes. The 92.1 signal has its disadvantages, but it's recent format failures have been 100% due to a lack of effort.

The whole cluster is boring as all get out. Q106 gets ratings because the same people have been listening for 30 years. Duke gets ratings only because people are sick of the Bro Country that has taken over mainstream Country stations. 92.9 is 92.9.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:00 pm

Outside of the Bob & Tom show - I do like Q106. Good stable of air talent, which is something that is tough to come by these days. Playlist isn't great, but it's respectable. For a heritage-friendly hard rock station, they seem to take more chances on new hard rock than most. And nearly every time - I like the new music the station chooses to play!

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:11 am

FUEL is a syndicated format out of Cleveland, featuring recycled shows from Tom Kent.

http://www.tomkentradio.com/fuel
Some PR flack working for Tom Kent wrote:FUEL is the 24/7 FUN radio format that targets millennials. The core of the music we play are hits from the decade of the 90s with a sprinkling of songs from the 80s and early 2000s. FUEL is driven by today's best and most relevant fun filled high profile personalities.

Starting your day is myself and my partner in crime Mike Lasik. It's Tom and Mike in the morning followed by the big booming voice of Bill Shannon from 9 to Noon. At 12 each day during lunch, Jackie Newton serves up "The Diva Diner". It's an hour of today's most important pop divas. Jackie continues to FUEL up your early afternoon until the arrival of Steve Kent at 4 with your FUEL drive home! Your amazing FUEL High Octane Fun day wraps with the "The Music Magazine at 7" featuring a different theme every hour. It's "What's This World Coming To" from 7 to 8 followed by "Lovin Life, Livin the 80s at 8", "Totally 90s Now" at 9, 2K's at ten featuring an hour of hits from the early 2000s and then "The Diva Diner" at 11!

FUEL weekends are even more fun with "The Ultimate Party"...five hours of wall to wall back to back party hits hosted by me and you're invited...(lampshades optional:) every Saturday night from 7p to 12 midnight. Every Sunday morning, it's five hours of music, fun, and inspiration with your very own Brother Jon Rivers and "Powerline". Your High Octane Fuel Fun Weekend wraps up with the legendary Jeff Foxx and "Sweet Soul Weekend" playing classic soul hits every Sunday night.

FUEL fills you up and keeps you going 24/7 with the most fun radio on radio and the most fun music!! FUEL....HIGH OCTANE FUN!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:56 pm

The amazing thing is Tom Kent & his band of dummies think that type of programming is of mass appeal to a millenial audience!!!

The ordinary Mainstream AC station is a more titillating listen for 25 to 39 year olds than the god awful music featured on "Fuel."

And does anyone under the age of 60 mention "lampshades" when referring to a Saturday Night party? :roll:

If this crappy format on 92.1 survives more than 18 months, I'll be stunned.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:20 pm

Even the peashooter 92.5 the castle appeals to Millenials more than 92.1 Puke FM does, I TRIED to listen to it today, ugh, Literally heard Staind then heard MC Hammer right after that, and yes they do play everclear.

Chris1980

Post by Chris1980 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:58 pm

This station is like a box of chocolates - you literally never know what you're going to get when you tune in. Could be '80s; could be '00s; could be '70s soul (they have a rhythmic oldies show on Sunday nights). I expect this kind of sonic schizophrenia from a college station like WDBM, not a commercial station in a rated market. Then again, comparing this station to WDBM is an insult to WDBM.

Honestly I think Z92.5 sounded better than this when they were "all request" - despite the musical trainwrecks it still had the charm of unpolished, small-town radio with all the warts. Fuel FM doesn't.

Chris1980

Post by Chris1980 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:56 pm

Is it me or is 92.9 sounding rather less contemporary in its music lately? They used to be very current-intensive, almost to the "Hot Hits" extreme. Now I'm hearing a lot of recurrents and gold stretching back a decade or so. They actually sound less contemporary than 97.5 now.

And, no surprise, Fuel is still a mess.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic