Notice to all Buzzboard readers & posters: A requested server migration took place Saturday evening. Unfortunately, I did not re-point my DNS records to the new server until roughly 7:45p ET on Monday, November 12. As a result, any posts and new user registrations occurring between the nighttime hours of 11/10 and approximately 7:45p ET on Monday, 11/12 have been lost.

This was unavoidable, and the longer I waited to re-point to the new server, the greater the number of posts that would've been lost.

Please feel free to resubmit any threads / posts you created. They will NOT be lost this time! Many thanks for your patience these past couple of weeks while I've worked to migrate the Buzzboard to a more secure, more robust platform.

Check out the Buzzboard's newest forum - the Buzzboard Marketplace! Find it here: http://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31

New home for the Cubs: WBBM-780

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
phillyb

New home for the Cubs: WBBM-780

Post by phillyb » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:37 am

WBBM has really begun promoting this fact, that as of 2015 they will be the "home of the Cubs". Only 780 AM will carry the baseball broadcasts, 105.9 will continue as usual with the all-news format and not carry the games (they will still simulcast when there's no baseball being carried).

I wonder what this will do to WGN'-720's ratings. And this is the first time in my memory (going back 55 years--but it may not be totally accurate) that WGN is NOT carrying the Cubs broadcasts. Wow.

craigrussell100

Re: New home for the Cubs: WBBM-780

Post by craigrussell100 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:37 pm

According to Wikipedia, so take it for what it's worth

"On June 5, 2014, the Chicago Cubs announced that radio broadcasts of its games would move from WGN to WBBM for the 2015 season under a seven-year deal. The deal will end the team's 90-year association with WGN."

2015-90= 1925

Houghton Lake...Up and Down the dial...

format this

Post by format this » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:25 am

craigrussell100 wrote:According to Wikipedia, so take it for what it's worth

"On June 5, 2014, the Chicago Cubs announced that radio broadcasts of its games would move from WGN to WBBM for the 2015 season under a seven-year deal. The deal will end the team's 90-year association with WGN."

2015-90= 1925
Absolutely correct, Craig. (I may shoot you a FB PM about this... if I ever have time)

In fact, since August both stations have been pushing this... WGN with ending the relationship and WBBM with starting a new one. Happily for me, WBBM hits Kalamazoo County rather well but the nighttime reception leaves something to be desired... but with the expectations of this year's team, I still may shell out MLB TV money...

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:52 am

WGN losing the Cubs was almost as big as WJR losing the Tigers - a nice 50KW big stick losing the sounds of summer.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:29 am

I disagree completely. The Cubs simply moved from one 50 kW omnidirectional clear channel signal to another. WBBM is an outstanding radio station and outperforms WGN in revenue and money demo listenership.

The Tigers moved to the god awful signal of 1270 WXYT, which sounds like a shortwave station in Detroit's northern suburbs after sundown and can be difficult to pick up inside any commercial or multi-story building north of I-96 at all times of the day. When the Tigers first moved to 1270, it had about a 1 share overall.

Thanks, corporate radio, for finally tossing Nickelback to the curb. Now can you please do the same for Shinedown? THEY SUCK!!!

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:52 am

Good point MW; staying on 50KW Omni at the lower end of the band vs moving up the dial to a complex directional (too short) array. Tuning WXYT was more difficult than WWV.

EnbyCee

Post by EnbyCee » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:38 pm

And in Toledo we can't hear 1270 at all, and only fuzzily get 97.1 on car radios. So we had to rely on the local affiliate, 1470 at the time until 2008....and they preempted over half of the Tigers games to run the Mud Hens instead. Unless you were far west enough to get 96.1 out of Archbold you were SOL, until Cumulus dropped the Hens so the Tigers could air full-time (not on FM, but that's another rant).

This is nothing like that. I've gotten WBBM during the day pretty clear as far away as Green Bay and east of the Ohio-Indiana border, just like WGN. Ditto WSCR, if the speculation of the Cubs moving there next year when the White Sox contract expires are true.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:41 pm

phillyb wrote:
Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:37 am
WBBM has really begun promoting this fact, that as of 2015 they will be the "home of the Cubs". Only 780 AM will carry the baseball broadcasts, 105.9 will continue as usual with the all-news format and not carry the games (they will still simulcast when there's no baseball being carried).

I wonder what this will do to WGN'-720's ratings. And this is the first time in my memory (going back 55 years--but it may not be totally accurate) that WGN is NOT carrying the Cubs broadcasts. Wow.
I would have done the opposite, Baseball on the FM and continous news on the AM.

Sports listeners have a strong anti-AM bias.

On the other hand, in the case of WBBM, AM would allow Cubs fans outside the groundwave area to listen to night games.

EnbyCee

Post by EnbyCee » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:56 am

innate-in-you wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:41 pm
phillyb wrote:
Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:37 am

I would have done the opposite, Baseball on the FM and continous news on the AM.

Sports listeners have a strong anti-AM bias.
Not in Chicago. The only effort to put sports talk on FM there failed (granted, it was a half-assed attempt and on 87.7 FM) and play-by-play has rarely aired on FM besides WBBM simulcasting the Bears on 105.9. Unless you're counting the miniscule audience for HD subchannels.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:26 am

1270 The Team was a debacle in so many ways. They paid a ridiculous sum of money for a multi-year contract with the Tigers before they had a good facility for it.
The contract also had the stipulation that the Tigers would be on a 50kw station. (IIRC, they even had a CP for 48kW day/50kW night, and the Tigers told them to change it to 50kW day!)

The WXYT facility at Broadcast House had a serious problem- most of the well-to-do listeners in the market had moved into their only serious null, to the west of their transmitter site (protecting WKBF in the Quad Cities).

To cover the Detroit market, they had to move their TL and increase power. The WKBF null would no longer be an issue, as a poor signal in Milan would be no great loss, but the new transmitter site would put a new null, albeit a softer null, protecting WMKT's relatively high-MUF contour, over some of the same desirable areas that had been in the WKBF null west of Broadcast House.

I really wonder if they approached WMKT about a possible buyout that would have let WXYT send a booming signal into OC (making WMKT a daytimer, or going to 249W Class D for a month and then back to a high-NIF Class B)
If there were unable to make such a deal, they could have blown up FreeFM there and then and saved the bother of the array they built at Telegraph and 275.

To be fair, 1270's signal is not really all that bad. It improved the signals in many areas, just not so much in western Oakland and Livingston.

Referring to the quality of their signal around Toledo, they are a "nighttimer".

Because they had to move the TL so far South to cover Detroit NIF with such a directional array, they had to protect an adjacent channel station in Northwest Ohio during the day, making 1270's signal quirky. It's very weak during the day in Toledo. And I've sometimes heard WMKT by CH skywave absolutely taking control of the analog channel before sunset (while WXYT HD can still be heard on an HD radio!).
At the pattern change to nighttime operation, WXYT pops in and takes control of the channel, and reception continues to be fair through the night. This is because WXYZ radio, since the 1930s, had a two-tower array with a very strong lobe to the south (essentially making anyone directly south of XYT a virtual graveyarder).

Unusual situation for sure. Seems to be in Defiance of common knowledge about AM radio propagation 😄

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:07 pm

Well, I think they measured the skywave of WXYT on Day Pattern near Charlevoix, and they were near 10 mV/m at times. That would put the NIF at 200 mV/m, and that wouldn't cover Charlevoix. Even it it were 5 mV/m 10% skywave, the NIF would be 100 mV/m. I speculate that the CBS corporate division officials probably didn't have any respect for the owner and engineer, regarding them as nothing more than an annoying gnat, and that was not a good position from which to negotiate a solution.

BTW, I love the echo effect when WXYT and WMKT air the same program. Much less annoying than when WJR and WABC ran IBOC at Night.

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic