Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

America's New Civil War

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
screen glare

America's New Civil War

Post by screen glare » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:42 pm

I cannot remember a presidential election campaign season that has destroyed more longterm friendships. You know - where BFF's - whether friends or relatives - have stopped talking to each other ...forever.

Sure there have been decades of pointed dinner table debates over presidential candidates, but not with such a deep divide of vitriol and ultimatum-style consequences.

Is this the start of a second civil war in our country? And is the unique circumstance the uncivil and
unAmerican fear mongering and insulting discriminatory statements from the mind and mouth of Donald Trump?

Since The United States is saturated with guns and ammo in all regions of the country and within every kind of neighborhood I think we could be on the brink of another civil war. And just like the first it would pit members of the same families against each other.

We need a sage leader like Abraham Lincoln to stop this dire conflict. Certainly that person has not yet appeared on our collective horizon.

SaveFerris

Re: America's New Civil War

Post by SaveFerris » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:23 pm

I hope it's not the start of a second civil war. That's certainly what was promised by Trump's supporters if he lost the "rigged" election. Now we're witnessing the opposite. For us Democrats the whole thing was rigged. It started with Clinton trying to paint a man who marched with Martin Luther King and was arrested for his civil rights activism as a clueless white man out of touch with racial issues in order to curry favor with minority voters in red states that would never ever go blue. It ended with interference from a foreign government and the FBI. We have many good reasons to be pissed. I thought I would never see these things in my lifetime. I'm appalled.

For the first time in my life I'm thinking about learning how to shoot a gun. All these racist incidents, the empowerment of neo-nazi sympathizers... My children will undoubtedly be mixed race. The woman I will marry isn't white. What if I have to stand up to these people? The things I read from an image board I have been frequenting since I was an edgy teenager to totally public nasty insults posted on Twitter... I can't trust these people. What if I encounter violence at their hands? How shall I protect myself? These are terrible times. I'm a liberal pacifist thinking about the possibility of putting a bullet in somebody's head.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:37 pm

SaveFerris wrote:I hope it's not the start of a second civil war. That's certainly what was promised by Trump's supporters if he lost the "rigged" election. Now we're witnessing the opposite. For us Democrats the whole thing was rigged. It started with Clinton trying to paint a man who marched with Martin Luther King and was arrested for his civil rights activism as a clueless white man out of touch with racial issues in order to curry favor with minority voters in red states that would never ever go blue. It ended with interference from a foreign government and the FBI. We have many good reasons to be pissed. I thought I would never see these things in my lifetime. I'm appalled.

For the first time in my life I'm thinking about learning how to shoot a gun. All these racist incidents, the empowerment of neo-nazi sympathizers... My children will undoubtedly be mixed race. The woman I will marry isn't white. What if I have to stand up to these people? The things I read from an image board I have been frequenting since I was an edgy teenager to totally public nasty insults posted on Twitter... I can't trust these people. What if I encounter violence at their hands? How shall I protect myself? These are terrible times. I'm a liberal pacifist thinking about the possibility of putting a bullet in somebody's head.
Hopefully you are wrong about the future going this way... I'm about as confidant that'll be the result as I am that Clinton won... we're in trouble, folks...

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:08 pm

You poor, precious snowflakes... :rolleyes

We put up with the unqualified affirmative action president for 8 years. You'll survive Trump.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

SaveFerris

Post by SaveFerris » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:16 pm

Hey Matt, are you a racist?

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:28 pm

SaveFerris wrote:Hey Matt, are you a racist?
No.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

SaveFerris

Post by SaveFerris » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:34 pm

Matt wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:Hey Matt, are you a racist?
No.
Okay. You must be reasonable then. What do you think about this?

Am I merely a special snowflake demanding special treatment if I don't want my future children to go to their school and see things like this? Why can't Trump or his supporters disavow these things? Why did it take him so long to disavow David Duke? Why was he so damn evasive about it? I'm not saying you can't have your changed immigration policy. I'm not saying you're racist for wanting the wall. I am saying that ignoring the elephant in the room isn't going to work.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:44 pm

For Trump, disavowing these things would represent a betrayal of his supporters.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

SaveFerris

Post by SaveFerris » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:50 pm

Turkeytop wrote:For Trump, disavowing these things would represent a betrayal of his supporters.
This is why I'm angry and frustrated. It's not because he won. It's not because we lost. It's because I can't accept this.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:54 pm

The Trump campaign just emboldened the hate mongers to come out of their closets. What, twelve months ago, would have been viewed as a hate crime, is now just spirited political discourse.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:56 pm

Matt wrote:We put up with the unqualified affirmative action president for 8 years.
Gotta be honest. "the unqualified affirmative action president" was much less a burden and damaging than the chimp-in-chief from 2001-2009. They both were less than optimal, but after eight years of Obama, I can't say he did a necessarily good job, but he didn't do a bad job either, which is more than I can say for all but two presidents since JFK.

If he was wearing a red jersey instead of a blue one you would be trumpeting him as the guy who finally fixed healthcare by implementing policies designed by republican leadership, slashed unemployment in half and loosened the tax burden on millions of Americans while maintaining a strong military presence abroad.
Turkeytop wrote:The Trump campaign just emboldened the hate mongers to come out of their closets. What, twelve months ago, would have been viewed as a hate crime, is now just spirited political discourse.
America isn't good at confronting skeletons in the closet. Lack of equality in employment is a salient one for me. Hiring decisions require the approval of multiple people who see a candidate. If one doesn't like someone, then the candidate will be unsuccessful. All it takes is for one bigot to say no, and while Matt brought up "affirmative action", I don't think he understands what it is and I doubt he understands how hard it is to prove discrimination in the hiring process.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:29 pm

I can't believe you people.

This country lived through eight years of a president whose resume basically consisted of "Community Activist". One who lied and bull shifted his way to pretty much every major policy he championed. (Shovel ready jobs, like your plan/doctor keep them) Brought race relations to an all time low and fomented hostility against law enforcement to levels never before seen.

The past eight years have seen a president with outright contempt and disregard for the Constitution along with the accomplishments of the people that helped build this country to the spectacular place it became. Yet, none of us folks that consider ourselves conservative constitutionalists took to the streets, destroyed private and pubic property, nor did we shoot anyone during a protest.

I think we have raised a generation of spoiled brats that are accustomed to getting their way. A tantrum that was a tiny bit cute at four years of age ain't so pretty at 20.

Instead of rioting, maybe you could go back to stamping your feet and holding your breath. Better yet, go get a job, start paying some taxes and you wont have so much time on your hands to go out and break shit.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:47 pm

I would be more accepting of the above if it weren't laden with half-truths, but more importantly, the US didn't have "spirited" protest and riots every 20-25 years. This isn't an anomaly, so clearly the idea that it is just this generation doesn't wash. There is something more towards the foundation that's being ignored and if we want to understand the problem we need to be more open to the fact that there are significant imperfections that lead to the conditions where people feel the need to act out how they are.

On the other side of the coin, Trump was fairly elected and all we know is that he said he would do disasterous things that threaten people of just about every protected class. He doesn't have the patience or intellect to act on them, so I think that people should wait for him to do something insane. Either way, everyone needs to calm down, the president shouldn't matter so much to your everyday life that you have to throw tanties on message boards, twitter, facebook, or especially, the streets.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:16 am

Idle hands are the devils workshop.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic