Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Music Choice on Intnernet Radio?

A place to discuss programming, content sources & aggregator web sites, hardware, and all things related to emerging audio programming distribution technologies.
Plate Cap

Re: Music Choice on Intnernet Radio?

Post by Plate Cap » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:50 pm

SaveFerris wrote:I just created a complete list for easy copying/pasting http://pastebin.com/raw/2fGY4pH7
Holy Cow!

That was the Mother Lode....thanks!

I installed the Android app for xiia, and loaded up all my favorites.

Thanks!!!

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

SaveFerris

Post by SaveFerris » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:19 pm

It's a good idea to send the links you want to your gmail account instead of trying to copy/paste them from the list. I just send all the ones I want to my phone that way the URLs can be copied by long pressing the links.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:16 pm

iPod doesn't like it as I don't have a source for ios 7.1.1 and still have the old stable 6, and going to the latest 8 or 9 will render an iPad2 useless; so, I'm trying it on a old POS android phone.
Thanks a million for all the links- cut and past thru gmail is a great idea. Thanks again.

SaveFerris

Post by SaveFerris » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:20 pm

The forced obsolescence of Apple products is a very good reason not to buy them. I experienced the same thing with my sister's old ipod touch when I wanted to use it to stream my favorite radio station. I had to go through about 10 different apps before I even found one that would install on v6. The audio quality is excellent though and it works amazingly well for that task, but Apple would rather turn the product into e-waste than let you make full use of it.

I think I have another one of those in a box somewhere around here. I might pull it out and try to figure out a way to get the m3u8 streams going on it. It is Apple's format that they tried to push on everyone after all, there should be something for it.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:01 pm

At least in my experience, and speaking outside of the realm of sound and image manipulation and some video work, the typical Apple purchaser is making more of a fashion statement than a technology statement. I really don't care for a manufacturer that fences me in.

I've always found it a little comical that if you have an Apple you have to get viewers and other software to read the documents made by the rest of the world, but the rest of the world doesn't seem to be interested enough to get viewers for Apple documents.

Kind of the Harley-Davidson of phones.....not a particularly great product, but a 'club' into which instant membership can be gained by the purchase of a device.

The Samsung S7 puts any Crapple phone to shame, and I predict it will be a rather pitiful game of catch-up for Apple from here on in. Samsung is now making the Crapple displays.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:09 pm

Ferris:

You've got me geeked here....how can I manipulate a Music Choice stream so I can decode it on an internet radio?

You've taken me this far...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIFJLMyUwrg

SaveFerris

Post by SaveFerris » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:56 pm

The best way would be to use ffmpeg and feed it to a server (icecast or shoutcast probably)

The command line would look like this

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -re -i http://edge.music-choice-ac-chaina1.top.comcast.net/AudioChannels/Ch-036/chunklist_ao.m3u8 -map 0:1 -legacy_icecast 1 -c:a copy -content_type "audio/aac" -f adts icecast://source:yourpassword@yourserver.com:8080/mc70s.aac
You could have multiple channels being restreamed to the same server. This could be done on your home PC or you could rent a cheap server at a place like ramnode. Would just take a bit of reading if you're not experienced with using command line utilities or editing configuration files.

The benefit of doing it this way is that the actual encoded audio data is never transcoded so no quality is lost. It simply restreams it to a regular HTTP server that your internet radio would be able to connect to.

Edit: added -re which should solve some buffering issues I was getting

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:13 pm

This is way, way over my head. I'm reasonably sure I could 'get it' with enough trial and error and help from someone, but it would be akin to learning to fly a helicopter in order to take a one hour ride over the grand canyon.....probably better to hire a pro for the short trip.

The server service seems reasonable at 15 a year or 8 a quarter.

SaveFerris

Post by SaveFerris » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:45 pm

Well if you would be interested in paying for the VPS and having me set it up you can PM me and I could do it for a reasonable price.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:18 pm

Plate Cap summed it up for me too- I'd love to just be able to punch up a button on my internet radio.

Somewhat OT: What exactly does an 'Turtle Beach AudioTron' digital player do? I'm assuming it's can't replicate my Internet radio, probably needs a computer connected to it, and since it's older than my Internet Radio, I'm also assuming it has limited files types/playlists that it can reproduce?

SaveFerris

Post by SaveFerris » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:28 pm

Just noticed today that Music Choice increased the bitrate of the streams. The audio quality has greatly improved.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:29 pm

SaveFerris wrote:Just noticed today that Music Choice increased the bitrate of the streams. The audio quality has greatly improved.
They also increased the volume on the 'easy listening' channel about a week ago....lowest volume on my bedside radio is now a little loud.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:00 pm

Plate Cap, you and I must have the same (good) taste in Music- yes, the volume is louder on the EZ, and I think it said 126kbps AAC 44.1kHz as well.
Save Ferris: were you ever able to find a program that could decode the m3U8 playlist on an old Apple iPad (v6) without upping the iOs to where it boggs the hardware down to useless?

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:29 pm

I don't do Crapple products. Any of them. Just non-productive IMO. What's great is I can open these streams in so many different apps, even on my XP Pro boxes.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:57 pm

Internet radio is no more like real radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic