Apologies for the temporary site outage from approximately 1PM ET on Monday, December 11 through the pre-dawn hours of Tuesday. The Buzzboard was targeted (yet again) by a hacker, this time from the Middle East. The site was able to be restored using a backup file from early Sunday morning.

More info on the attack can be found here:
https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=45907

Check out the Buzzboard's newest forum - the Buzzboard Marketplace.
Find it here: http://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31

BlackBerry

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
Turkeytop

BlackBerry

Post by Turkeytop » Sun May 24, 2015 11:00 pm

So, I'm now the owner of a Blackberry. Our son, who is a Blackberry employee, has been urging me for years to get one, but I've kept telling him I don't need it. This week he gave me this one he built from spare parts.

I won't be using it as a telephone because I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost of a service plan. But I can do with it all the same things I do with my BlackBerry tablet. I can connect to the Internet via WiFi and it has on board a clock, a camera and a calculator.

audiophile

Re: BlackBerry

Post by audiophile » Mon May 25, 2015 8:06 am

You could away use it for 911.

Some plans in the US are only $7 per month - with limited minutes.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon May 25, 2015 8:26 am

Turkeytop wrote: I won't be using it as a telephone because I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost of a service plan.
I have dumped any hard line and just use a cell phone. Lots of folks go that route down in the States. It helps that I get pretty good reception where I spend 99.9% of my time

Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon May 25, 2015 8:58 am

Cell audio quality is inferior to landlines (it bad enough regular phones lines only carry ~300-3000 Hz).

The audio codecs they use sound terrible. Ever try to listen to music through a cell phone connection? It will demonstrate how much the codec throws away.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:08 am

audiophile wrote:Cell audio quality is inferior to landlines (it bad enough regular phones lines only carry ~300-3000 Hz).
I won't argue that. The trade off is obvious, I can talk on my cell phone anywhere. Because I don't talk on the phone much, and since my income level doesn't justify both a hard line at home and smart phone I opt for inferior audio in exchange for mobility.

Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon May 25, 2015 9:39 pm

Vintage BlackBerry circa 1994.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic