Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Tom Skilling retiring

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
CurlyHoward

Tom Skilling retiring

Post by CurlyHoward » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:06 am

Last broadcast on WGN-TV tonight for Skilling, who went from young weather geek in the 80s to dean of Chicago meteorologists. Plenty of tributes to him on WGN's website.

Some Guy from Toledo

Re: Tom Skilling retiring

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:46 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:06 am
Last broadcast on WGN-TV tonight for Skilling, who went from young weather geek in the 80s to dean of Chicago meteorologists. Plenty of tributes to him on WGN's website.
Thank goodness I can still watch WGN via IPTV.

zoomer69

Post by zoomer69 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:09 pm

It was kind of eerie watching the WGN broadcast on Tuesday the 27th during the Chicago-area tornado outbreak. I doubt anyone predicted how early and how active the severe weather season has been this year, let alone having it send Tom off with a bang.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:55 pm

Tom Skilling was a pioneer in extended forecasting. He was the first TV meteorologist I've ever seen offer a 7-day forecast, and he is the first I've ever seen offer a 10-day forecast.

Not only was he a pioneer in the above regard, but he was DAMN GOOD at it! He often forecasted heat waves or snow storms accurately multiple days before other TV stations in the Great Lakes region.

Some of the graphics he used on-air in the 90s were unmatched in terms of quality and sophistication for the era.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic