Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ratings Day in Toledo

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Deleted User 15408

Re: Ratings Day in Toledo

Post by Deleted User 15408 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:24 am

If Cumulus wants 105.5 to hyper target female listeners, bring back the Star 105 or 3WM brands and go AC to target River head-on
That's kinda what it was before the shift to this hybrid 90s format that it is now. AC has become more and more pop everyday. The problem on that station wasn't the music. The problem is in how they present it.

1. Ron Burgundy in Afternoon drive needs to go. He was on in the morning, he failed. They should have shown him the door then, but nope they moved him to afternoons and he is failing there too.

The people there need to give up on him, what he's doing is not working. It's actually mind numbing that they are so invested in him, when it's clear the audience HATES him.

2. They need to step up their digital game. They are not where the listeners are, and that's online. Copying and pasting links from local news on Facebook doesn't cut it. They need to actually create in house content. Unfortunately, the talent mentioned above is still there and doesn't have the talent or mental capacity to do it. He's a content plagiarist and not a content creator.

The other online content Ron Burgundy creates is extremely unnerving. Go look at his TikTok account, sitting in the studio and rambling about mental health issues is weird. It's an instant swipe away from anyone that would have any interest in that radio station.

3. Q105 absolutely needs some marquee promotions built around the audience. Q105 has tried in the past. They've attempted to do some cool stuff for the audience. But, if Ron Burgundy doesn't like it, he glazes over it and goes right into whatever content he's stolen from 13abc.

Do you see the theme here, it's amazing. One single host has destroyed that radio station.

Deleted User 16093

Post by Deleted User 16093 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:27 am

Speedy probably jumped because of The war in The Middle East I assume.

Stick a fork in Q, it's burned.

Deleted User 15408

Post by Deleted User 15408 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:43 am

Stick a fork in Q, it's burned.
I don't think it's burned. It's never had a chance. It's just there. They get the right person in there, it could be the greatest comeback of all time.

Unfortunately, it will never happen. If they wanted it to happen, they would have done it already. But, they've embraced the mediocrity.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:34 pm

That's kinda what it was before the shift to this hybrid 90s format that it is now.
I disagree. Musically, it was on the fence between CHR and Hot AC.

I do agree with your other remarks, though.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Deleted User 15408

Post by Deleted User 15408 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:45 pm

According to media base WQQO and WRVF Currently share the following songs in their current categories.

Taylor Sift Cruel Summer
Miley Cyrus Flowers
Taylor Swift Karma
David Guetta and Bebe Rexha I'm good
Taylor Swift Anti hero.

They share 6 of both of their top ten most played records. It continues on from there. Their lists are pretty close. Their rotations are different that's just about it.

And before their "Shift" to "90s" it was like this as well. All they really did was swap out the golds. It's funny how the music on WQQO can be so similar to a successful station in the market, yet one just gets it handed to them in the ratings.

101.5 The River has better content. Q105 does the news. It's actually very scary for this industry about how one person on the air at a station can destroy a product. One guy has devastated that radio station.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:43 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:09 am
If Cumulus wants 105.5 to hyper target female listeners, bring back the Star 105 or 3WM brands and go AC to target River head-on.
"105FM, 3WM" was pulling 7's and 8's when I was there. Fred North & the Morning Crew, and Buddy Carr to drive you home in the afternoon.

It was straight ahead AC, but with a little flavor. The new PD took a lot of flak for adding new artists like U2, but it worked. We still had a few ghosts of Mike McVay leftover like the insipid "Car Tunes" on Fridays at 5PM, but the station sounded really good. I still have my old "105" jersey. Still fits after all these years. :smokin

I'm not sure what was gained by renaming the station "Star" many years later, other than everyone else was doing it, so we should too.

The River sounds slow and tired, and is absolutely beatable.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

edj

Post by edj » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:33 am

105.5 should go Christmas. That would give them a little boost.

Deleted User 16093

Post by Deleted User 16093 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:31 am

edj wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:33 am
105.5 should go Christmas. That would give them a little boost.

And launch a new format after Christmas. :D

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:31 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:43 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:09 am
If Cumulus wants 105.5 to hyper target female listeners, bring back the Star 105 or 3WM brands and go AC to target River head-on.
"105FM, 3WM" was pulling 7's and 8's when I was there. Fred North & the Morning Crew, and Buddy Carr to drive you home in the afternoon.

It was straight ahead AC, but with a little flavor. The new PD took a lot of flak for adding new artists like U2, but it worked. We still had a few ghosts of Mike McVay leftover like the insipid "Car Tunes" on Fridays at 5PM, but the station sounded really good. I still have my old "105" jersey. Still fits after all these years. :smokin

I'm not sure what was gained by renaming the station "Star" many years later, other than everyone else was doing it, so we should too.

The River sounds slow and tired, and is absolutely beatable.
3WM was a great station. Don't forget the legend Tim Morrison in Middays. Great dude too.
We get it, what's his nuts hates Eric Chase. But it takes more than one jock to destroy a brand.
The 90's thing isn't woking anywhere it's been tried.
Similar to other rust belt markets,Toledo is old population wise. Go mainstream AC and call it a day.

Deleted User 15408

Post by Deleted User 15408 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:55 am

We get it, what's his nuts hates Ron Burgundy
Um, have you listened to him? He’s on in a prime day part, He is on seven, SEVEN days a week. A terrible air talent can destroy a radio station if he’s on 25% of the time. He has given the listener the perception that’s what Q105 is.

Listeners are fickle, they do not listen like someone on this board does. Q105 will not improve while Ron Burgundy is on the air.

As long as Ron Burgundy is on the air, Q105 will not perform.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:36 am

Just about anything and anyone associated with 105.5's programming should be tossed to the curb.

Deleted User 15408

Post by Deleted User 15408 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:44 am

No, he's not the PD. They announced recently that they hired a new PD who oversees XKR and QQO.

If I had to guess the new pd just loves having this guy on his staff. I'm being sarcastic of course.

The fact is Ron Burgundy has been failing long before the change in the PD office. If I had to guess, there is probably another reason as to why he's allowed to not perform.

It wouldn't surprise me if the reason Ron Burgundy is allowed to run amok is completely childish and small market behavior. After all radio is a business, and the decision to keep him on the air is a sign of zero business sense.

Deleted User 16093

Post by Deleted User 16093 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:25 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:36 am
Just about anything and anyone associated with 105.5's programming should be tossed to the curb.
Yes! and dump kerosene on it and light the match :evil: :lol:

It's like trying to fix a leaking roof with rotten wood.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:13 pm

A new record for 105.5! Congrats to them on their 1.1 share!

It takes incredible skill to lose by a half share to a country station from Tiffin!

By the way, the crappy Dallas station on which Q105 is modeled is allegedly flipping to a simulcast of 820 WBAP on January 3.

https://radioinsight.com/ratings/toledo/

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:29 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:13 pm
A new record for 105.5! Congrats to them on their 1.1 share!

It takes incredible skill to lose by a half share to a country station from Tiffin!

By the way, the crappy Dallas station on which Q105 is modeled is allegedly flipping to a simulcast of 820 WBAP on January 3.

https://radioinsight.com/ratings/toledo/
Also tied with a far out of market NPR station (WUOM's stick is 50+ miles from any of the City of Toledo)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic