Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Toledo Radio Ratings August 2023

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Mark Elliott

Re: Toledo Radio Ratings August 2023

Post by Mark Elliott » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:15 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:36 pm
Another rock solid ratings book for WIOT. Also of note, K100 earned its best beauty pageant result in quite some time with a 10.6 share, and WRQN looks solid, too.

Elsewhere:
- Kiss is sagging but still looks respectable
- Q105 is below a 2 share (as is 94.9)
- Hardly anyone listens to AM radio in Toledo (Speedy's A25-54 share has GOT to be abysmal if they're only at a 2.7 share in the beauty pageant numbers)
- 98.3's numbers have been at or near all-time record lows for the Toledo Metro Survey Area now for several straight book.

Of note, listed stations represent only ~55 percent of audio listening recorded by Nielsen, which means a LOT of listening to streaming audio / smart devices, SXM, podcasts, unreported stations and/or out of market stations must be occurring in the Toledo market.

I'm guessing Mix, Hot, Juice and Wolf collectively account for 12 or 13 shares of listening.
Sorry, MW, while I love your posts and your board, this one needs correction.

The numbers quoted by you here are "shares" - which is defined by Nielsen/Arbitron as (emphasis mine) ..
SHARE -The percentage of those listening to radio in the Metro who are listening to a particular radio station.
Link - Radio Survey Definitions

The other ~45% is actual radio listening.. not podcasts or streamers or even SXM as they are not measured or considered "radio listening".

Link - Listening to SiriusXM Radio isn’t quantified by Nielsen in the form of a syndicated measurement service like thousands of local radio stations are.

Nielsen only lists paying subscribers in the public releases and the two urban stations that don't subscribe consistently do very well in the market.

Deleted User 16093

Post by Deleted User 16093 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:59 am

It shows that 105.5 is a real turkey if it's on par with a translator.

Not much to choose from on The AM in T-town, 1370 and 1230 are the only commercial stations. The other Am'ers are all about The Might Spurtin Jesus :D .

WPSD honestly needs a full market signal on The FM. Like many other markets have these days. So why not Simulcast WSPD on 103.7 and pair 92.9 up with 1230. 103.7 is decent on a car radio in The Toledo metro area.

The whole 98.3 thing I've never gotten. Why did they move the broadcast tower closer to Toledo, only to not use it for Toledo? :? I'm sure it's been asked before.

So that leaves 2 full signals that Cumulus is really doing nothing with. Oi vey...

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:22 pm

WIOT also airs the House of Hair on Saturday nights, and say what you will about hair bands, they do go pretty deep, same thing with XKR as they have a local show of all hair bands on Saturday nights too.

I wonder how WSPD can get at least a 2.7, but WJR struggles to get a 2. They each have different personalities, but the audience is likely older for both.

98.3 always made me wonder. They targeted Monroe for a long time, then targeted Toledo after they moved the tower closer, only to focus on Monroe yet again. It seems like the main focus of 98.3 NashIcon is to be a flanker to K100.

edj

Post by edj » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:44 pm

A 2.7 is easier to achieve with fewer stations in a smaller market. Have a translator helps a bit.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:50 pm

Mark Elliott wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:15 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:36 pm
Another rock solid ratings book for WIOT. Also of note, K100 earned its best beauty pageant result in quite some time with a 10.6 share, and WRQN looks solid, too.

Elsewhere:
- Kiss is sagging but still looks respectable
- Q105 is below a 2 share (as is 94.9)
- Hardly anyone listens to AM radio in Toledo (Speedy's A25-54 share has GOT to be abysmal if they're only at a 2.7 share in the beauty pageant numbers)
- 98.3's numbers have been at or near all-time record lows for the Toledo Metro Survey Area now for several straight book.

Of note, listed stations represent only ~55 percent of audio listening recorded by Nielsen, which means a LOT of listening to streaming audio / smart devices, SXM, podcasts, unreported stations and/or out of market stations must be occurring in the Toledo market.

I'm guessing Mix, Hot, Juice and Wolf collectively account for 12 or 13 shares of listening.
Sorry, MW, while I love your posts and your board, this one needs correction.

The numbers quoted by you here are "shares" - which is defined by Nielsen/Arbitron as (emphasis mine) ..
SHARE -The percentage of those listening to radio in the Metro who are listening to a particular radio station.
Link - Radio Survey Definitions

The other ~45% is actual radio listening.. not podcasts or streamers or even SXM as they are not measured or considered "radio listening".

Link - Listening to SiriusXM Radio isn’t quantified by Nielsen in the form of a syndicated measurement service like thousands of local radio stations are.

Nielsen only lists paying subscribers in the public releases and the two urban stations that don't subscribe consistently do very well in the market.
I thank you for the nice words.

I do have a question, though. If Nielsen Audio shares are only comprised of radio listening, why are diary keepers asked to record multiple modes of audio entertainment consumption? Look at the sample diary entries at the below link:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... YxAa7I_z4W

I did fail to mention 91.3 WGTE in my earlier post, which probably accounts for at least a few of the unlisted shares. Wouldn't shock me if that station grabs closer to a 5 share.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:25 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:50 pm

I thank you for the nice words.

I do have a question, though. If Nielsen Audio shares are only comprised of radio listening, why are diary keepers asked to record multiple modes of audio entertainment consumption? Look at the sample diary entries at the below link:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... YxAa7I_z4W
Valid point, and something that should be addressed:

1) SXM does pay for listener surveys from Nielsen, on a separate deal and a separate report.

Info on SXM and Nielsen

2) It's valid that as much actual audio listening as Nielsen can gather, they encourage that the diary keeper track everything - podcasts, radio, SXM. The more attention the diarykeeper is paying the more correct the actual radio listening is captured.

3) In PPM markets, only AM/FM stations are encoded. No other listening is captured by the PPM. So the shares in Detroit have to be comparable data to the shares in Toledo.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic