Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WNWO to eliminate newscasts

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

WNWO to eliminate newscasts

Post by mtburb » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:25 pm

https://www.toledoblade.com/a-e/tv-radi ... 0230427116

The last newscasts will air on May 12. Given that they had farmed out their newscast production to South Bend's WSBT a few years back, this downsizing is pretty significant. This is highly likely another ripple effect of the Bally/Diamond bankruptcy.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

ftballfan

Re: WNWO to eliminate newscasts

Post by ftballfan » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:03 pm

Are they keeping their NBC affiliation?

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:36 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:03 pm
I was just about to ask. Maybe TV 48 could get it :lol

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:16 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Unfortunately, yes, But if it leads even less viewers watching WNWO, it would be worth NBC's while to find a new affiliate, even if it's as a subchannel of WTOL, WUPW or WTVG.
Riff Raff wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:36 pm
I was just about to ask. Maybe TV 48 could get it :lol
Don't know if they have any actual studio space, but even if they had high school or college students do the news, at least it'll be more local news than what WNWO ever had since 2017.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:00 am

rugratsonline wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:16 pm
ftballfan wrote:
Unfortunately, yes, But if it leads even less viewers watching WNWO, it would be worth NBC's while to find a new affiliate, even if it's as a subchannel of WTOL, WUPW or WTVG.

[
Spoiler alert: It won't damage the viewership for NBC programming on WNWO. Nobody has watched WNWO's news in forever anyway.

Do you really think people are going to be like "Well I WAS going to watch Sunday Night Football but those bastards dropped the "local" news from South Bend so I'm watching CBS tonight instead! That'll show 'em!"

WNWO has already been a piss-poor affiliate for many years. Since Toledo is a small, depressed market, NBC has basically shrugged its shoulders and said "If you don't like them cutting off portions of SNL just watch it on Peacock."

edj

Post by edj » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:38 pm

Ever since they blacked out WDIV on cable, there is no other option unless you put up a tall antenna aimed at an adjacent market.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:21 pm

It's kind of a shame. WNWO, despite having low ratings for news for decades, actually had decent and some great personalities, like Jim Tichy, Blizzard Bill, Norm Van Ness, Jim Blue, Laura Emerson and others. I figured with TND being pushed on Sinclair's stations it was a matter of time. Best of luck to all the employees there.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:22 am

edj wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:38 pm
Ever since they blacked out WDIV on cable, there is no other option unless you put up a tall antenna aimed at an adjacent market.
...ok, WDIV was blacked out a long time ago for network programming. Do you think the average resident of Toledo is going to put up a hexagonal beam antenna with tripolar phrased HD harmonics aimed precisely at the WDIV transmitter now all of a sudden because the news is slightly less "local"?

edj

Post by edj » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:32 am

Of course not. I was merely pointing out the long and expense length someone would have to go to just to boycott 24 or NBC.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:06 am

All 5 of WNWO's newscast viewers will be disappointed by this news, I'm sure.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

SBaxley

Post by SBaxley » Fri May 05, 2023 11:05 am

MW..you mean they ACTUALLY had viewers and not just the teenage mutant ninja turtles under the sewer?! lol

Toledo Radio Died

Post by Toledo Radio Died » Sat May 06, 2023 9:54 am

Would be nice to see WTVG take up the NBC affiliation again, can’t rule it out. Look what happened to Dayton in 2004 when NBC no longer wanted to be affiliated with Sinclair’s low performing WKEF at the time and pursued a deal with Lin broadcasting to move NBC over to WDTN.

schmave

Post by schmave » Sat May 06, 2023 1:46 pm

@toledoradiodied Maybe on a subchannel? NBC can't be all that pleased at this development and I'm assuming they're aware. Then again, WNWO has been pretty bad ever since I was in college there in the late 90s.
If there was ever any bad blood at NBC re the affiliate swap in the 90s, and I'm not saying there was, that almost has to have vanished by now.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sat May 06, 2023 11:13 pm

Toledo Radio Died wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 9:54 am
Look what happened to Dayton in 2004 when NBC no longer wanted to be affiliated with Sinclair’s low performing WKEF at the time and pursued a deal with Lin broadcasting to move NBC over to WDTN.
WDTN (originally with NBC) and WKEF (originally with ABC) swapped networks in 1980, as ABC wanted a stronger affiliate, and NBC was in dire straits at the time. The swap was reversed in 2004 as a result of a deal between NBC and WDTN's owner at the time, LIN Broadcasting.

The story of WKEF is rather interesting, not only because it had to compete with other Dayton stations, but also Columbus and Cincinnati stations as well. They're owned by Sinclair, but at least they still have their news (for now):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WKEF

schmave

Post by schmave » Sun May 07, 2023 12:42 pm

I vividly remember WDTN not running ABC's entire daytime schedule because the signal from Cincinnati's then-ABC affiliate, WKRC, covered their market so well. That's almost unheard of now, punting some of the network shows because another city and essentially rival station carries them. Dayton was, and to some extent is, in an odd position because all of their network affiliates compete with Cincinnati or Columbus somewhere in the viewing area.
I guess Toledo faces that as well with Detroit, but even then that's not to the extent it was decades back when Detroit's Fox, NBC and ABC all were on Toledo cable and network programming ran unfettered on Fox and ABC in direct competition with the hometown stations.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic