Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

NBC 24 Ending News Operations

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.

edj

Re: NBC 24 Ending News Operations

Post by edj » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:51 pm

Behind a paywall. How does NBC feeli about this. I thought they wanted their affiliates to run news.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:29 pm

So the only news now will be the NBC nightly news and Sunday shows. Just wondering, what other markets have a station with a major Network affiliation that doesn't have any sort of local News presence? ( Fox, CBS,NBC,ABC). Not talking independent stations.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:44 pm

I've been told repeatedly by millennials and younger that 'cable' is not of interest to them, and I assume much less is OTA TV.

I even got into a rather pointless discussion with a young friend who decried the need for cable since "we just stream over wifi". She was not able to understand that her "wifi' got to her home via cable. She was too busy ignoring my points since I have grey hair.

Anyway, onto the point:

I'm barely interested in local news, and I had it all my life. It's often a repeat of a national perspective, sometimes has a slant, has too many 'feel good' bits, and has WAY too many spots to make it worthwhile. The spots oftentimes just irritate me, driving gender and racial target points rather than selling beer and cars.

Frankly, I'm find with Frndly and YouTube. Does everything I need.

The writing is on the wall. The smart ones are reading it early rather than being dragged down by tradition.
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:10 pm

edj wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:51 pm
Behind a paywall.
The Flint / Tri Cities board has the complete article.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:36 pm

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:52 am

Riff Raff wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:29 pm
So the only news now will be the NBC nightly news and Sunday shows. Just wondering, what other markets have a station with a major Network affiliation that doesn't have any sort of local News presence? ( Fox, CBS,NBC,ABC). Not talking independent stations.
They're supposed to be running something called "The National Desk" news in the former local news slots according to the article. Which I'm sure will be Orwellian MAGA propaganda like "Spotlight on America" and the rest of Sinclair's "news" shows. Or the "Terrorism Alert Desk" they'd forced into the "local" news for years.

It's not THAT big of a deal IMO, they really haven't been local since 2017. Just something for channel 13 and the Blade to blow their horns about when they're both nearly as shitty as Sinclair themselves.

And if NBC cared about the Toledo market they'd have ended their affiliation with 24 years ago.

SBaxley

Post by SBaxley » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:33 pm

Just a prediction ..but I'm seeing a reuniting [ albeit on a sub channel ] NBC ON TVG

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:22 pm

Plate Cap wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:44 pm
I even got into a rather pointless discussion with a young friend who decried the need for cable since "we just stream over wifi". She was not able to understand that her "wifi' got to her home via cable.
That's all a bit more confusing now, with T-Mobile's home service, basically a "hot spot" which picks up internet services through their 5G data network (instead via cable) and then redistributes it in your home as conventional wi-fi. I know folks to whom "wireless" of any kind, even on their phone, is always just "wi-fi."

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:23 am

SBaxley wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:33 pm
Just a prediction ..but I'm seeing a reuniting [ albeit on a sub channel ] NBC ON TVG
no

Toledo Radio Died

Post by Toledo Radio Died » Sat May 06, 2023 10:15 am

Riff Raff I’m sure there’s other stations that are part of the big four networks that don’t have local news, only one I can think off the top of my head is the ABC 30 in St. Louis.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 06, 2023 6:24 pm

FOX has great sports programming (especially in Big Ten country) but has been a distant also-ran to CBS and NBC in primetime for years, doesn't offer network news, and doesn't offer any meaningful daytime programming.

Therefore, if I were WUPW, I might be tempted to try to pry NBC from WNWO.

Of note, beginning this fall, FOX's share of Big Ten telecasts will be diminished as NBC and CBS will each begin airing some Big Ten product.

I wonder who bills more - WUPW or WNWO?
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sat May 06, 2023 10:43 pm

Toledo Radio Died wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 10:15 am
Riff Raff I’m sure there’s other stations that are part of the big four networks that don’t have local news, only one I can think off the top of my head is the ABC 30 in St. Louis.
...owned by Sinclair, which made no attempts to program news since folding its news department in 2014. From 2014 to 2018, it presented a news / commentary program, "The Allman Report" with conservative talker Jamie Allman -- that ended in 2018 following outcry over Allman's unsavory comments about the Parkland shooting. They still have no local news today -- not even The National Desk.

More here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDNL-TV

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sat May 06, 2023 11:00 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 6:24 pm
FOX has great sports programming (especially in Big Ten country) but has been a distant also-ran to CBS and NBC in primetime for years...

Therefore, if I were WUPW, I might be tempted to try to pry NBC from WNWO.

Of note, beginning this fall, FOX's share of Big Ten telecasts will be diminished as NBC and CBS will each begin airing some Big Ten product.

I wonder who bills more - WUPW or WNWO?
As Fox is the primary carrier of Detroit Lions games, the other question would be: What would matter more -- the NFL or the Big Ten?

schmave

Post by schmave » Sun May 07, 2023 12:35 pm

In Toledo, my guess is the Big Ten. Lions obviously have their share of fans in the market, or some of it anyway, but this is also ground zero for OSU-Michigan. Those fan bases combined across the DMA have to dwarf that of the Lions.
Last edited by schmave on Tue May 09, 2023 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic