Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WXKR/WQQO gets new PD

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Deleted User 15835

WXKR/WQQO gets new PD

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:03 am

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2498 ... -director/

I wouldn't tweak XKR too much but 105 needs an overhaul in the worst kind of way.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: WXKR/WQQO gets new PD

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:38 pm

Sounds like he's probably very knowledgeable with regard to rock and classic rock. Probably doesn't know a damn thing about CHR / Hot AC.

Format change afoot for Q105 or will Cumulus simply let that station continue to rot?

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

edj

Post by edj » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:43 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:38 pm
Sounds like he's probably very knowledgeable with regard to rock and classic rock. Probably doesn't know a damn thing about CHR / Hot AC.

Format change afoot for Q105 or will Cumulus simply let that station continue to rot?
I would assume XKR will be fine. Q105 is an enigma. It either should improve drastically or flip. If you flip, to what? Would they dare try active rock and challenge IOT? It may peel too much off XKR unless they stick with 2000-present. Move sports to 105.5?
Classic hits/oldies and country are out for obvious reasons. What’s left: a pure rap/hip hop in an oversaturated market? Talk off the bird (they won’t spend money on more than one local host, if that)? Jazz, Spanish, adult standards, all comedy, I just don’t see happening.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:32 pm

edj wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:43 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:38 pm

I would assume XKR will be fine. Q105 is an enigma. It either should improve drastically or flip. If you flip, to what? Would they dare try active rock and challenge IOT? It may peel too much off XKR unless they stick with 2000-present. Move sports to 105.5?
Classic hits/oldies and country are out for obvious reasons. What’s left: a pure rap/hip hop in an oversaturated market? Talk off the bird (they won’t spend money on more than one local host, if that)? Jazz, Spanish, adult standards, all comedy, I just don’t see happening.
Christ, here come the stupid fantasy radio posts again.

Active rock=failed recently in Toledo. Turns out there WASN'T a H*** audience for Greta Van Fleet every 10 minutes.
Sports=miniscule audience for national endless NBA diva talk, belongs on a peashooter signal forever unless Cumulus actually wants to halfway give a shit again. (they don't)
you answered yourself about classic hits, country and urban.
talk off the bird=failed recently in Toledo because literally the same company WOULDN'T spend for even one local host
jazz=no
Spanish=not a format
adult standards=audience died off
all comedy=does this even exist as a radio format anywhere since "Free FM" crapped out almost 20 years ago?

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:15 am

There was Rock 106 but that was over 20 years ago and no one remembers it. Talk/Sports not a big enough audience to justify putting it on a full signal. AM one yes, full FM no.

Standards, Spanish, and the like. Never gonna happen. Way too much Urban.

Actually, a rock format I think is doable and I'm not talking about what The Zone was/is. I can't write a rock based format off totally because it didn't work on a 82 watt translator that was hardly even advertised and can't be picked up in parts of the city anyway.

Overnights I could see running syndicated feed but during the day you need some localness. To not dig too much into XKR, you'd need to do 2000s and up as mentioned, a little 90s. No AOR artists at all or anything pre mid 90s.

edj

Post by edj » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:04 am

That’s my point. If they flip there aren’t many realistic options. I don’t know if there are any all comedy stations left in the US; Canada has a few.
Q105 is likely stuck as is.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:35 pm

I'm wondering about a 90's or 2000's pop format similar to what Cumulus launched recently in Dallas for 105.5? I know Party 103.3 recently launched but this format could be more pop and ballads where as Party is more rhythmic in format. Cumulus could still keep a female-friendly format and keep much of the same staff too.

Seems like the new PD is also programming Q105.5 as no one else was available or didn't want to hire another PD for 105.5 alone.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:08 am

True, the choices are limited but I do think it's time for a change, be it newer rock or maybe a rewind 2000s and up format.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:03 am

Riff Raff wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:08 am
True, the choices are limited but I do think it's time for a change, be it newer rock or maybe a rewind 2000s and up format.
It should revert back to either 3WM or Star 105.

The River plays too much sissy music, and in a backwards place like Toledo, I think gold based AC would actually work...but I am biased, because I worked at "105FM, 3WM" for a minute, back when it was a license to print money. Every stopset was full.

Cumulus parked the WWWM call letters on a throwaway station somewhere.

It's stupid to have another "Q" station in a group of stations with WRQN. It creates confusion among listeners and clients.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:16 am

I completely agree; they need to bring back the Star 105 brand.

Format should be 90s through 2010s Adult Contemporary with a Modern AC / rock lean.

Offer a quality local morning show hosted by someone who isn't a retread. The Bert Show sucks and has never performed well in any market other than its home base of Atlanta and perhaps a handful of rinky-dink sized markets.

Isn't this now the second time that show has been carried on 105.5 locally?

Star 105 had a good formula that worked reasonably well for years until that assclown, Jan Jeffries, completely disrupted the station needlessly. (Remember voicetracks from Rick Dees in afternoon drive?) Remarkably, the station for a brief time regained its footing until its morning show bolted for NW Arkansas.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:46 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:03 am
Riff Raff wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:08 am
It should revert back to either 3WM or Star 105.

The River plays too much sissy music, and in a backwards place like Toledo, I think gold based AC would actually work...but I am biased, because I worked at "105FM, 3WM" for a minute, back when it was a license to print money. Every stopset was full.

Cumulus parked the WWWM call letters on a throwaway station somewhere.

It's stupid to have another "Q" station in a group of stations with WRQN. It creates confusion among listeners and clients.

That's what I thought when they rebranded the station.

WWWM lives at-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WGVX

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:22 am

Riff Raff wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:15 am

Actually, a rock format I think is doable and I'm not talking about what The Zone was/is. I can't write a rock based format off totally because it didn't work on a 82 watt translator that was hardly even advertised and can't be picked up in parts of the city anyway.
Other than the signal, this is a moot point because it's still Cumulus. If they did do another rock station (and only they would because ifart wouldn't do anything that might hurt WIOT in a million years) it'd be poorly promoted, done cheap and likely off the bird 24/7. With either 7000 bands that sound like Shinedown like the 2019-2021 version of the Zone or wussy pop music like the 2011-2016 version of the Zone.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:56 pm

Cumulus does have a mixed track record with regard to the Rock format. 93X, which it inherited from Citadel (who inherited it from ABC), is a strong performer in Minneapolis.

96Rock is doing surprisingly well in Cincinnati against heritage WEBN.

On the flip side of the coin, 105.1 The X in Kansas City is faring poorly in its battle against 98.9 The Rock, and Rock 100.5 in Atlanta was a poorly programmed trainwreck.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:10 pm

The last incarnations of The Zone were mediocre and yeah Rock 106 sounded like pure crap. As a matter of fact, way way back in the day, I got into this feud on one of these radio boards with this guy who worked for Cumulus and had something to do with Rock 106(not saying who). I was like a 21 year old little s#!t then, so I could of been a bit more tactful but the station sounded like crap. Still, the guy made a jack ass of himself on the one board.

The cloud does have mixed results with rock formats but XKR has always been a winner mostly. 96.5 in Cinci isn't bad and 93X In The Twin Cities is ok. Not familiar with 105.1 in KS city. Would say a... Pure rock 105.5 beat WIOT? No but as a flanker for XKR it couldn't hurt things on The Cumulus side.

Just my 2 cents and I'll leave it at that.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:04 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:16 am
I completely agree; they need to bring back the Star 105 brand.

Format should be 90s through 2010s Adult Contemporary with a Modern AC / rock lean.

Offer a quality local morning show hosted by someone who isn't a retread. The Bert Show sucks and has never performed well in any market other than its home base of Atlanta and perhaps a handful of rinky-dink sized markets.

Isn't this now the second time that show has been carried on 105.5 locally?

Star 105 had a good formula that worked reasonably well for years until that assclown, Jan Jeffries, completely disrupted the station needlessly. (Remember voicetracks from Rick Dees in afternoon drive?) Remarkably, the station for a brief time regained its footing until its morning show bolted for NW Arkansas.
I think the format you described would be great for 105.5. I wonder if there is a morning show they could be pick from done locally with new talent.

The Bert Show has never been carried except it's current run since 2020. It was thought to be the replacement for Andrew Z in 2012 after his fired, but they actually brought in someone new for a local morning show.

Star 105 always was pretty popular until its 2012 format change to CHR. With the exception of Timm Morrison in middays, the station had high turnover in mornings with male co-hosts and afternoon drive personalities. Dave Fuller was there for about a year in the afternoon drive I'm guessing. Star/Q has never had consistency with formats as they'd bounce between AC and Hot AC and CHR and Hot AC. Tim and Jeff, the duo that moved to Arkansas, were becoming popular here when they left. Once they switched to CHR, everything went down and has never quite gone up again. With each major change, from Andrew Z to Denny Schaffer, the ratings increase but then quickly drop after a few months. It doesn't help that many of the songs played are also played on other stations in the market. I think if they bring back the Star branding, a new logo might work, as the logo they used forever with the yellow star was a little dated at the end.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic