Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Keep Big8 Radio On The Air

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
blizzard

Keep Big8 Radio On The Air

Post by blizzard » Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:17 pm

From Big8 Radio Facebook page:
Hi Big 8 Friends, this is Charlie O'Brien and I run the CKLW tribute page on Facebook and the Big8Radio oldies stream at www.big8radio.com.
For almost 5 years the Oldies Stream has aired for free and we want to keep it that way.
However, streaming and web hosting costs are always on the rise.
To offset the personal out-of-pocket costs of bringing this service to hundreds of radio fans we are starting this crowd sourcing session - rather than switching to some type of subscriber/fee-based service.
We want to keep playing the CKLW memories, the airchecks, the jingles and the music for you.
Please consider a donation to help offset the monthly costs. Please also think about sharing the link and story with your other radio friends.
Thank you
Charlie
:hat
Last edited by blizzard on Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plate Cap

Re: Keep Big8 Radio On The Air

Post by Plate Cap » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:44 pm

Hi Charlie,

It's a good stream and I would donate if there was a link on the page....but beyond that may I make a suggestion?

A lot of us, and more and more everyday have tabletop or rack mounted internet radios, that can be set up with a streamable URL for a 'channel'. I have 4 of the units, and have about 45 channels in each.

Some use an aggregator like Skytune.net......Big8 uses that, so I can get it. It points to https://player.live365.com/a87486. However, after the Reciva debacle of a couple of years ago (Reciva just shut down, and as such relegated a BUNCH of internet radios to the scrap pile) some are leery.

Since many of us are still wincing about that, we've switched to radios to which we can actually browse over our networks and program in a URL that is streamable. It removes the dependence upon the aggregator....as long as I have a streamable URL, I get music.

We can't do it with every station....if you want WWJ there is no way to dig out their actual streamable URL....we have to go with Skytune.net. You have a couple of options (.pls, .m3u, .asx), but the best is an .aac ending URL.

But those stations that do have rock solid followings with internet radio users....can you look into a streamable URL that will play on internet radios? I know a lot of us would respond with loyal donations.

Thanks

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:01 pm

Yes Plate Cap. As you know, my nice Grace Digital Internet Radio took the hit when Receiva shutdown, losing the ability to search for or add a station feed. Having a specific address link at least allows the unsupported Logitech Internet radios to have you enter a specific "pointer address" and not have a brick. Most stations to not offer that option. The Big8 did have an addressable link at one time. I'll look into it. Charlie, than you, and a PayPal link is a good idea.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:15 pm

The station automation as of this morning is in need of attention....spanish language spots, spots with network prepended station instructions, liners stepping on spots.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic