Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

107.7 The Wolf Toledo All Christmas

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Deleted User 15835

Re: 107.7 The Wolf Toledo All Christmas

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:00 pm

We already have 3 rap stations, if you count 94.9. I'm going with oldies.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:54 pm

Riff Raff wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:00 pm
I don't have a deep memory of Jazzy 97.3, other then one time at The Toledo Auto Show around 1996, I believe one of the dealers had a Lexus or a Acura displayed and they had the radio going on the inside. The radio was on WJZE.

Around the fall or so of 96, they flipped to classic rock.

With 107.7, part of me is thinking it could flip as it's more then obvious T-town has too many country station's in it's listening range. To Smooth Jazz? I wouldn't mind that but my guess would be a Jack-FM type station, if any change were to occur.
I seem to recall that the switch to classic rock was some sort of LMA or something similar. Dan didn't want to do it, but it made good economic sense at the time.

Dan was "all in" on Smooth Jazz. He liked the look of it. Higher income demos, luxury car dealers, 80's style wine and cheese parties on Friday afternoons. The perfect "listen at work" format... swimming pools, movie stars. With the right account executive, I think he could have pulled it off. Dan needs a good GM, with a background in radio, no matter what format he chooses. I can't think of anyone left in Toledo who fits that description. Most of the names that come to mind are on headstones now, to be brutally honest.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:56 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:54 pm
Riff Raff wrote:
I don't have a deep memory of Jazzy 97.3, other then one time at The Toledo Auto Show around 1996, I believe one of the dealers had a Lexus or a Acura displayed and they had the radio going on the inside. The radio was on WJZE.

With 107.7, part of me is thinking it could flip as it's more then obvious T-town has too many country station's in it's listening range. To Smooth Jazz? I wouldn't mind that but my guess would be a Jack-FM type station, if any change were to occur.
I seem to recall that the switch to classic rock was some sort of LMA or something similar. Dan didn't want to do it, but it made good economic sense at the time.

Dan was "all in" on Smooth Jazz. He liked the look of it. Higher income demos, luxury car dealers, 80's style wine and cheese parties on Friday afternoons. The perfect "listen at work" format... swimming pools, movie stars. With the right account executive, I think he could have pulled it off. Dan needs a good GM, with a background in radio, no matter what format he chooses. I can't think of anyone left in Toledo who fits that description. Most of the names that come to mind are on headstones now, to be brutally honest.
Toledo I don't think was the right market for the format, then again it was successful in Dayton, so it's getting the right people to make it happen. 97.3's signal, especially at the time was really spotty. I've always like the SJ format too myself, even though I am totally not in the demographic for it.

It's hard to believe Toledo didn't have a classic rock station for a brief window, so going rock made sense. Also, I recall DJ's from The Buzz doing shifts on WJZE as well.

mapletrees

Post by mapletrees » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:56 pm

A format change is very unlikely in my eyes, but I still think it's interesting how they flipped to all Holiday music, as if they thought they could compete with 101.5. The River has been the go-to for Holiday music in Toledo for the past few decades, not to mention 101.5's signal can be heard anywhere in NW Ohio and SE Michigan. 107.7 comes in clear in parts of South Toledo, and Wood County, and that's really it.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:34 pm

Riff Raff wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:56 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Riff Raff wrote:

Toledo I don't think was the right market for the format, then again it was successful in Dayton, so it's getting the right people to make it happen. 97.3's signal, especially at the time was really spotty. I've always like the SJ format too myself, even though I am totally not in the demographic for it.

It's hard to believe Toledo didn't have a classic rock station for a brief window, so going rock made sense. Also, I recall DJ's from The Buzz doing shifts on WJZE as well.
That's correct. Dudley was running WJZE through an LMA when it was classic rock, but Haslinger still owned it. Thanks for jarring my memory on that one. I did get to see the WJZE studio in Haslinger's office downtown (1997?) when it was Smooth Jazz. Very basic, but everything worked, and you even had a panoramic view of the Maumee River.

Finding sales people who understand the format would probably be a real challenge. You would need someone in promotions as well. When SJ artists come to Detroit for concerts, the spots end up on WWJ. Someone selling SJ in Toledo would want a piece of that pie.

In any event, I wouldn't want to be the "other" country station in a market like Toledo. We all know how that story ends. See Lansing, Flint, Kalamazoo, or even Lima for examples over the years.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:12 pm

Present day example:
Blunder 107.3 in Grand Rapids, MI
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:28 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:34 pm
Riff Raff wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:56 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Riff Raff wrote:

That's correct. Dudley was running WJZE through an LMA when it was classic rock, but Haslinger still owned it. Thanks for jarring my memory on that one. I did get to see the WJZE studio in Haslinger's office downtown (1997?) when it was Smooth Jazz. Very basic, but everything worked, and you even had a panoramic view of the Maumee River.

Finding sales people who understand the format would probably be a real challenge. You would need someone in promotions as well. When SJ artists come to Detroit for concerts, the spots end up on WWJ. Someone selling SJ in Toledo would want a piece of that pie.

In any event, I wouldn't want to be the "other" country station in a market like Toledo. We all know how that story ends. See Lansing, Flint, Kalamazoo, or even Lima for examples over the years.
Right, he owned WJZE until the station was sold to uRbAn in early 2005. I've told this story in another Buzzboard life but I had a job in the early 2000s, where I listened to 97.3 The Fox everyday. I miss that station.

I do agree that, 107.7 is likely using this as an opportunity to get a little market share from The River, in terms of The River being all Christmas all the time. Years ago I think 93.5 WRQN tried to do all Xmas but they got flooded with complaints if I recall.

It seems to be they are going to change to something else, if they were to keep country, wouldn't it be " Christmas on 107.7 the wolf" " Until New Years were playing your favorite Christmas music" . Not to mention nearly all of the music is non-country cuts. Any mention of country music gone.

I have to point this out, 1077wolf.com site looks very 2004ish. Final wager, 107.7 keeps The Wolf name but flips to oldies or a classic hits type format.

Hmm? "107.7 The Wolf We play whatever we please" " Oldies of the 60s and 70s 107.7 The Wolf" " Classic rock and nothing but real classic rock 107.7 The Wolf" .

IMO 107.7 has a good run with the country format but being the "other station" has likely dawned on them, hence a possible change is on the way.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:42 pm

Almost no one who is accustomed to the all-Christmas format on 101.5 is going to abandon them for 107.7.

If 107.7 is staying country, the current programming is a mistake, in my opinion. Country listeners who want to hear country music have likely tuned elsewhere.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:17 pm

The only logical thing I can think of is a new format is going to debut after Christmas, dumping your programing for mostly non-country Christmas music makes 0 sense. As stated above.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:06 am

107.7 reverted back to country. Oh well...

80sTalkRadioFan

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:51 am

Bummer! Was really hoping for a smooth jazz format...and yes, I'm one of those "wine and cheese" people mentioned earlier in this thread.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:13 pm

I kind of would've liked a new format, but to be honest, I actually like the Wolf's playlist. It's not just the biggest hits right now similar to what K100 and many other country stations play.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:25 pm

It's always funny when people think Toledo is going to get a smooth jazz, beautiful music, Spanish, "real oldies" or 3rd sports or rock station

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:51 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:25 pm
It's always funny when people think Toledo is going to get a smooth jazz, beautiful music, Spanish, "real oldies" or 3rd sports or rock station
Toledo does have a Spanish station at 96.5, which only covers part of the market.

Smooth Jazz and beautiful music will likely never have a home in Toledo.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:57 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:51 pm
CurlyHoward wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:25 pm
Toledo does have a Spanish station at 96.5, which only covers part of the market.

Smooth Jazz and beautiful music will likely never have a home in Toledo.
How long did Smooth Jazz last on 97.3? Does anyone remember? I know for certain that's Dan Haslinger's favorite format. I can't even imagine him listening to country, to be honest.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic