Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

94-5 K-rock Toledo New Rock Perspective.

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Deleted User 15835

94-5 K-rock Toledo New Rock Perspective.

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:59 pm

This is a station that's been long forgotten but it's one I enjoyed. So, in the late winter of 1996 WXKR flipped from a successful classic rock format to a mellow alternative rock format, know as 9.45 K-rock Toledo's New Rock Perspective. This moved stunned a lot of people and left T-town without a classic rock station.

I remember the day I first discovered this, I was like 15, almost 16 at the time. I happen to be playing around with my receiver in my room and I hit 94.5, they were playing Aero-plane by Red Hot Chili Peppers. I gasped, I was like Whaaa??

Then I heard " This is Ed Rollins from Collective Soul and your listening 94.5 K-rock Toledo's New Rock Perspective" which went into December by Collective Soul. I was floored! Classic rock was pretty popular on 94.5 I had thought at the time.

Early on a playlist looked like this:

December-Collective Soul
Dave Matthews Band- What would you say?
Pearl Jam-Daughter
Blues Traveler- The Mountains Win Again
Son Volt- Drown( liked this one!)
Talking Heads- Take me to the river
Screaming Cheetah Wheelies- Don't recall the song
Jan Arden-Insensitive
Eleanor McEvoy- Precious little :lol:
Midnight Oil- Beds are burning.

By early 97, it was clear the station was in trouble. I had heard rumors that they were either going to go country or go back to classic rock by the summer of 97. They changed there branding to Toledo's Alternative 94.5 K-rock but that nothing to help the station.

Near the end of the format. They were playing quite a bit of 311, Corner shop, and STP. The last week, they played " It's the end of the world as we know it" by REM on the top of every hour. They stunted over a weekend, with sounds of a needle being drug across record, with classic rock snippets. The classic rock format returned on Feb 2, 1998.

Rich S

Re: 94-5 K-rock Toledo New Rock Perspective.

Post by Rich S » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:37 pm

I remember this station as I was working for Clear channel at WRVF and WVKS around this time. I liked it a lot. WMMQ did something similar in Lansing around this time. Quality Rock was the branding. MMQ flipped back to classic rock too.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:03 am

I did too! I remember listening to this in my first car in the summer of 1997, was so bummed when they flipped back to Classic Rock.

senpaisai

Post by senpaisai » Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:46 pm

I never knew the station existed until just a few months before they poached The Dawn Busters from WIOT. Turning the dial early in the afternoon and heard this sweet female voice say, "Toledo classic Kansas on 94.5 FM WXKR," and right into "Sparks Of The Tempest". My jaw hit the floor. Expected to get bludgeoned with "Wayward Son" again ...

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic