Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Anyone wanna dump on Q105.5?

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
edj

Re: Anyone wanna dump on Q105.5?

Post by edj » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:00 pm

AAA in a market like Toledo wouldn’t even draw a 1 share. Might as well try jazz at that point. 105.5 could try active rock or the Zone for the 58th time to compliment WXKR, or go cheap with syndicated talk. Realistically what is left? Spanish?
WIOT might as well be classified as a classic rock station. Probably the worst active rock station in thr region.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:07 am

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:03 pm

I liked the Zone when it was on 100.7 too. The Ticket hasn't been great since Norm Wamer got fired, and they lost half of their rights. Does anyone really care about ESPN Radio programming here outside of live events?
Well no, no one here wants to hear solo Mike Greenberg, or whatever the hell they're running in mornings now, talking about the Lakers. Unfortunately it's not about the interests of listeners, it's about ramming syndicated programming into as many markets as they can. Same as it was with the awful Talk Radio 1470/100.7 that no one at all misses.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:11 am

Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:57 pm

WIOT is about as stale as it's been in years, and the playlist isn't that much different than 94.5 these days. I miss the 104.7 10 years ago when they played a lot of newer songs, but still played plenty of older songs as well. The fact that there's only one local jock on there doesn't help much either.
I remember when IOT was actually good in the early 2010s, yeah. But their ratings dropped then because Toledo just wants Seger, Nugent and 80s butt rock. Though it wasn't till a few years later that XKR actually briefly beat them (a win Andy had them celebrate on air like V-J Day)

also doesn't help that the one local jock there is Scott Miller, whose delivery fits The River better, going up against Grizzly.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:39 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:11 am

WIOT is about as stale as it's been in years, and the playlist isn't that much different than 94.5 these days. I miss the 104.7 10 years ago when they played a lot of newer songs, but still played plenty of older songs as well. The fact that there's only one local jock on there doesn't help much either.
I remember when IOT was actually good in the early 2010s, yeah. But their ratings dropped then because Toledo just wants Seger, Nugent and 80s butt rock. Though it wasn't till a few years later that XKR actually briefly beat them (a win Andy had them celebrate on air like V-J Day)

also doesn't help that the one local jock there is Scott Miller, whose delivery fits The River better, going up against Grizzly.
WIOT was at it's best when Frazier Reams owned it, and Peter Cavanaugh was running the show. I was there. After that, IOT was just another station playing hard rock for line workers. We broke a lot of records in Toledo at IOT. Peter was always in on the music meetings. Sure, he was VP of the company, but he wasn't a corporate bean counter. He was a broadcaster, and had never been anything else.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:23 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:07 am
Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:03 pm

I liked the Zone when it was on 100.7 too. The Ticket hasn't been great since Norm Wamer got fired, and they lost half of their rights. Does anyone really care about ESPN Radio programming here outside of live events?
Well no, no one here wants to hear solo Mike Greenberg, or whatever the hell they're running in mornings now, talking about the Lakers. Unfortunately it's not about the interests of listeners, it's about ramming syndicated programming into as many markets as they can. Same as it was with the awful Talk Radio 1470/100.7 that no one at all misses.
I remember reading a quote several years ago on here saying that Andy had to keep the syndicated talk for a certain period of time.

Talk Radio 1470/100.7 was for the most part awful. With the exception of Dave Ramsey and maybe Mark Levin and Bob Kelly's brokered oldies show and the Polka Party plus certain sports teams, everything else was forgettable. A past his prime and now disgraced Don Imus, Dennis Miller and Chris Plante, Geraldo and Mike Huckabee, and add the fact there was not a single local weekday voice, meant that there was no way this station was going to be successful. It's no different than why WTOD 1560 was sold several years earlier.
Last edited by radioandtventhusiast on Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:30 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:11 am

I remember when XKR had the "Toledo's new #1 for Rock" slogan during that period of time.

Pyke and Kramer were much better afternoon hosts and fit the rock format better. I met Kramer in 2014 while touring the IHeart building. Pretty nice guy.

Scott Miller is perfect on 101.5. He's no different than most of the other personalities the River's had over the years.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:53 am

Q is the new Tower 98, it's like the station no one listens to unless another station is playing a song you don't like. There ratings are awful and for sometime now they have been broadcasting in mono. The signal isn't bad in most parts of Toledo, so I don't know why there so hell bound on keeping this format.

I'd like to see News/Talk on 105.5 myself.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:32 pm

Milwaukee market morning radio legends, Bob & Brian, got their start at FM 104 WIOT.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:15 pm

I remember XKR when they first launched in winter of 1998, they had a commercial slamming WJZE " Well XKR, this town isn't big enough for the both of us " then get out" Oh ok!...."

I used to listen to 1560, then 1470 and 100.7. It was ok for what it was, I wouldn't be surprised if Cumulus did bring the format back eventually.

Yes, on Bob and Brian I knew that. In the 1990s, Jeff and Mark bounced between WXKR and WIOT. In Toledo you had billboards where both stations were slamming each other.

I remember 104.7 being quite bad in the early 2000s, I had a job for about 3 years, where a good part of the day where WIOT was on. Between Bob and Tom along with the crust bucket music they played everyday, after I quit I swore I would never listen to IOT again.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:24 am

Riff Raff wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:15 pm

I remember 104.7 being quite bad in the early 2000s, I had a job for about 3 years, where a good part of the day where WIOT was on. Between Bob and Tom along with the crust bucket music they played everyday, after I quit I swore I would never listen to IOT again.

I had a job later in the decade where the guy controlling the radio would listen to Boob and Tom in the morning, then switch to XKR which played VERY crusty classic rock then the rest of the day. I remember this younger black kid finally yelling at him to change it when he couldn't take it anymore during the coda of Grand Funk's "I'm Your Captain".

IOT was actually better then than now because at least they had Grizzly's "High Voltage" metal block late at night.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:14 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:24 am
Riff Raff wrote:

I had a job later in the decade where the guy controlling the radio would listen to Boob and Tom in the morning, then switch to XKR which played VERY crusty classic rock then the rest of the day. I remember this younger black kid finally yelling at him to change it when he couldn't take it anymore during the coda of Grand Funk's "I'm Your Captain".

IOT was actually better then than now because at least they had Grizzly's "High Voltage" metal block late at night.
Oh I despise that song! I remember in aroud 2002 or so, when How You Remind me by Nickleback was on the radio 20 times a day, these 2 guys I worked with thought that was just the best song in the world. I don't miss working with them.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:49 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:24 am
Riff Raff wrote:

Nowadays, you rarely hear "I'm your Captain" on any classic rock station in favor of yet another spin of "We're an American Band".

I loved High Voltage as well, and it's a shame that corporate had to get rid of that and have the regular playlist late at night instead. Grizzly has said that getting rid of High Voltage was one of the reasons he left IOT and moved over to XKR.

I'm guessing this is about 2007 or 2008 with the one workplace with the guy playing XKR all the time?

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:01 am

Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:49 pm

I'm guessing this is about 2007 or 2008 with the one workplace with the guy playing XKR all the time?
Yeah I believe it was spring/summer 2008.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic