Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

"The Grobber" passes...

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Trophyhead

"The Grobber" passes...

Post by Trophyhead » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:57 am

Les Grobstein, who was on WLS in the Larry Lujack and Steve Dahl days as a cub sports reporter and foil for hosts, while most recently serving as overnight weekday host on The Score (WCSR) has passed away at the age of 69.

I believe he called arena football as well as UIC Flames hockey, I shared a pressbox at Ferris State with Les nearly 35 years ago, when I was getting started. He was apparently ill since Wednesday, so his last on-air shift was in the last week. A long and honorable career in the market where he was raised, Rest in Peace, Grobber.

CurlyHoward

Re: "The Grobber" passes...

Post by CurlyHoward » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:19 am

He called games for many obscure Chicago sports teams, I think the short-lived Chicago Rockers CBA franchise was one in addition to the now-long defunct UIC hockey team.

Did overnights on the Score for many, many years. Was fired at one point over complete bullshit involving misuse of a press pass at the 2001 MLB all-star game but eventually the station realized its mistake and brought him back. One of the few live and local shows left overnight anywhere over the past decade.

The man was a walking encyclopedia of Chicago sports, and in a market overly obsessed with its mediocre NFL team, he would talk about any team you wanted to at any time. RIP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic