Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

105.5fm Toledo Ohio

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Ben Zonia

Re: 105.5fm Toledo Ohio

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:43 pm

Last edited by Ben Zonia on Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:44 pm

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Deleted User 15773

Post by Deleted User 15773 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:26 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:56 pm
you do know Toledo is a smaller market than Cincinnati so there's less room for dying niche formats like active rock, correct?

also, The Zone played mostly harder rock the last time it was on a main signal. do you think playing even more Ghost, Greta Van Fleet and Five Finger Death Punch would get great ratings?
In a rust belt market like Toledo, there'd certainly be an audience for a hard rock format.

Would it be able to bill decently? On that point, I am unsure.
I believe enough to be a decent flanker station for WXKR.

I've also considered that possibly Cumulus might be looking to unload 105.5? It's a bit of a long shot but I've considered that fact.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:49 pm

You think someone would want to buy 105.5 to run active rock?

You should perhaps also consider stepping away from the bong for awhile.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:43 am

Oddly enough, 105.5 was AOR for a while, 40+ years ago, as WXEZ. I believe some sort of analog automation was used, probably a massive rack of reel to reel machines? Perhaps WOHO can elaborate. Not surprisingly, FM104 WIOT mopped the floor with WXEZ ratings wise, prompting the hiring of consultant Mike McVay, and the switch to 105FM 3WM.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:09 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:43 am
Oddly enough, 105.5 was AOR for a while, 40+ years ago, as WXEZ. I believe some sort of analog automation was used, probably a massive rack of reel to reel machines? Perhaps WOHO can elaborate. Not surprisingly, FM104 WIOT mopped the floor with WXEZ ratings wise, prompting the hiring of consultant Mike McVay, and the switch to 105FM 3WM.
As "The Colonel" well knows:
From WQQO Wikipedia article: The 105.5 MHz spot on the radio dial in the Toledo area began in November 1968 as WGLN, located in a cornfield in western Lucas County, the remote studio-transmitter location was the home of the "Jones Boys", a concept introduced in Toledo by station manager and native Toledoan Michael Drew Shaw. Like (now co owned) WTRX in Flint, Michigan where Shaw had been program director several years before being named manager at WGLN, every DJ used the last name Jones. Among the more notable, Davy Jones, Casey Jones, Tom Jones, and John Paul Jones. More notable D.J.s sporting the name JONES were Joe Hood, Steve Wright, Earl Sharninghouse, and Klaus Helfers, The station featured country music - the first such FM station in the market - and broadcast live performances.
The Top 40 Era ended at WTRX in late January, 1968. By November, Michael Shaw had returned to his native Toledo (he MUST know Jeff Lamb, he was probably calling him up all the time at WTRX in the 1960s) and put WGLN on the air on 105.5 Sylvania, Ohio.

As an April Fools joke, stunt, or rumor, tell people that 105.5 has returned to being WGLN, moved back to a cornfield, and is C & W again, and its DJs are all named Jones.

-Author Unknown

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:20 pm

If I'm not mistaken, you can still broadcast an FM HD signal with an analog mono FM signal and still get stereo HD1 and HD2 out of it?

BASProShop

Post by BASProShop » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:30 pm

Yes, it is perfectly legal to transmit analog mono and still have stereo HD signals. I'm not sure why this false rumor persists on this thread, as 105.5 in Toledo is transmitting the analog in stereo. There is a stereo pilot, and the L-R subcarrier is there. It may not have much separation, but 105.5 is NOT mono.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:23 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote: "Oddly enough, 105.5 was AOR for a while, 40+ years ago, as WXEZ...Perhaps WOHO can elaborate."
The Colonel is correct. Right inside the door, first studio on the left with the big window facing Pickle Road, was the WXEZ-FM automation, circa 1979 that was blocking the nice window. Bernie Quayle (Sir Bernard J. Quayle) of WOHO fame and eventually a presenter on Manx Radio (Isle of Mann) was PD and had his desk, and IIRC, a Bible on it as well. (Somewhere I have slides, not photos of) Z-105 where It had 3 or 4 reel to reel decks with the sub-audible tone in the left channel to start the next event: either start the next 10" NAB reel rolling, or go to a circular carousel full of tape carts with the spots on them and then stop the tape. Also had a standalone Cart Machine with Station ID and liners and another for very, very brief prerecorded news and weather. Had a crude DOS-based control system with keyboard integrated to the metal case. In the opposite corner sat a tractor-feed printer which logged every music track played on the open reels as well as the spots on the tape carts. For some reason there was an ancient 7" reel to reel deck in there too, that I think had a chunk of tape in it to use for the 7 second profanity delay for the WOHO-AM "Rap" show. Sliding glass doors lead to the Production room on the opposite side of the Z-105 automation side. I can still recall hearing Gloria Gaynor "I Will Survive" as the tape ran on air. The Z-Rock AOR format only lasted about 18-24 months (78-79-80). During this era, the morning show was a simulcast on AM1470 and 105.5FM of Jay and Craig, then over to automation after morning drive. Then Lew Dickey Sr. put out the word that Z-105 had the potential to be a top 3 Toledo station and maybe someday even surpass 1470 in popularity and 105 shouldn't be thought of as the poor stepchild! (I think I still have a copy of that memo somewhere.) Anyhow, in the early 80's a move was made to made it a 'live', mostly Top 40 station, and the first group of DJ's on the air were Buddy Carr, Mike "Jamo" Jamison, and the "Toledo Kid" Doug Brummett. They were running out of studio space and shoehorned a board and cart machines just for the New Z-105 jock; this eventually became 3WM, WWWM-FM with Mark & Wendy, Corey Deitz took his 'Desperate and Dateless' show from WOHO over to 3WM, and eventually it turned into a late night "Love Notes" show until taken over by...Mark?? There's your Pickle Road story for the day.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic