Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Canadian Numeris Radio Ratings

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Marcus

Canadian Numeris Radio Ratings

Post by Marcus » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:32 pm

https://en.numeris.ca/media-and-events/ ... ry-topline

I took a good look at the Windsor ratings. Compared to last year CIDR-FM is way down in the ratings with it's current format. I also noticed how much better Blackburn's CJWF is doing than Country 89. The local winners there are AM 800 CKLW and CBC Radio One. As usual the Detroit stations are not mentioned at all.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Canadian Numeris Radio Ratings

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:56 am

95.9 was unfazed - very interesting! 96.7 slipped only a minor amount.

93.9's AQH share is down 50 percent compared to before the format change; what a stupid move.

The big winner from the local format changes appears to be Cool FM, which reached a new record high (5.8 share).

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:13 am

What is a "Spill Station"? It's not defined in the report. Is that what we call a "Rim Shot" (Colonel Flagg claims to have invented the term), for lack of a better term? Here they are called "Class As that competitors invent specious petitions to deny to the FCC to prevent them from moving closer in".
Last edited by Ben Zonia on Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:12 pm

I hope 93.9 returns to the River or a format similar to it if Virgin Radio's ratings continue to decline.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:10 pm

That's basically right, Ben Zonia. In this instance, it's a signal not licensed to Windsor that targets Windsor area listeners and advertisers.

I am unsure as to the exact criteria for a station to qualify for such designation for Numeris purposes.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:34 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:12 pm
I hope 93.9 returns to the River or a format similar to it if Virgin Radio's ratings continue to decline.
If AAA ever has a shot in Detroit again, maybe Audacy should slap it on 98.7. Can't do any worse than what they have now!

The River was poorly programmed in its later years; the inclusion of pop/rhythmic product was NOT the answer. Would've preferred for them to expand their gold selections, and try out more AAA currents. However, stations like 107one and WDET (when they're airing Essential Music or CultureShift) provide superior playlists.

The chances of 93.9 The River or even 89X ever coming back are practically zero; Bell is heavily committed to their nationalized brands. I'm seeing more streamlining of radio formats in Canada than I am on this side of the border.

take this job and shove it

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:38 am

89x and The River are honestly relics from the past, they outlived there useful lives. Not saying I like the format on either station now but it is what it is. Both Virgin and Pure Country have only been on 6 months, so were gonna have to wait a little while more and see.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:53 pm

88.7's ratings actually improved a minor amount compared to 89X's final book, if I remember correctly.

I will say Virgin Radio 93.9 has begun sounding better over the past 30 days (processing has improved and so has the music selection), but the air talent is lame as hell. Very milquetoast and sterile. Station sounds underproduced.

That_Canadian_Guy

Post by That_Canadian_Guy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:12 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:53 pm
88.7's ratings actually improved a minor amount compared to 89X's final book, if I remember correctly.
This ratings book actually was two put together. They took ratings from Fall 2020 as well as Spring 2021 to make it. In my assumption, 89X had a similar book to their Fall 2018 ratings when they were at a 5.5. Cut that in almost half, and you get the 2.7 that they have now. Same goes for the River. It will be interested to see what the REAL ratings are for these two new formats once they have a full book of just Pure Country and Virgin. Judging by their social media accounts, very few people even know they exist.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:48 am

The last published numbers for 89X had them in the low 2's. Not sure where you are coming up with a a 5.5.

You are correct that 93.9 The River was above a 5 share.

I, too, noticed the extreme lack of activity on both stations' social media pages!

That_Canadian_Guy

Post by That_Canadian_Guy » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:21 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:48 am
The last published numbers for 89X had them in the low 2's. Not sure where you are coming up with a a 5.5.
Fall 2018: CIMX had a 5.5 share. They were on an upward trend starting in Fall 2017 with a 4.0 share. The upward trend in Windsor started when they closed their American operations and started to focus solely on the Windsor market.

CIMX had a bad book in Fall 2019, but I predict they rebounded in Fall 2020. Unfortunately, we will never know since they put two books together to form the Spring 2021 book.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:44 am

89X scored a 2.3 share in Spring 2020's published numbers:

https://assets.numeris.ca/Downloads/202 ... Report.pdf

Their ratings sucked. The morning show was boring as hell. Nate Carr was a snooze in afternoon drive. Kim's voice is so soft she barely did more than whisper into the microphone. Too many stiffs received airplay. On top of all that, transmitting antenna issues created unreliable reception in parts of Metro Detroit indoors.

The station had been mismanaged for the better part of seven or eight years. It was time to pull the plug.

I think the new format (Country) wasn't a wise replacement choice, however.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:03 pm

I was able to pick up 92.7 out of London last week, also a Pure Country branded Bell station. I noticed the songs are in the exact same order as 88.7. Bell is really trying to make their formats cookie-cutter.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:04 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:13 am
What is a "Spill Station"? It's not defined in the report. Is that what we call a "Rim Shot" (Colonel Flagg claims to have invented the term), for lack of a better term? Here they are called "Class As that competitors invent specious petitions to deny to the FCC to prevent them from moving closer in".
If I said that, I was being facetious. The first time I heard the term was from Kent Burkhart, of Burkhart-Abrams fame, while discussing the former WLNZ, St. Johns, "Lansing's All New Lazer" :hat

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:40 pm

Heathcliff wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:38 am
89x and The River are honestly relics from the past, they outlived there useful lives. Not saying I like the format on either station now but it is what it is. Both Virgin and Pure Country have only been on 6 months, so were gonna have to wait a little while more and see.
I hate to have to agree, but...I agree. 89x and The River were both "of their time". By that I mean, they fit for the eras they did well in respectively, but the time had passed. The thing is, at least I could say I still had a better chance of hearing something I liked on the former formats; nothing now. It's like how WABX was known for the hippie stuff and WLLZ is known for its time in the 80s. When I think 89x, I think new and exciting in 1996. Like MW said, 89x truly died in 2012. It was a mix of Dave and Chuck leaving and what passed for alternative changed dramatically. The River? It would have been nice to see a more streamlined 90s/00s throwback plus some good current music. When REM goes from an 89x band to a River band, things just aren't the same anymore. Yes, it was nice to know they were still there and yes, it was another option on the dial, but what made 89x great in 1998 doesn't exist anymore in 2021.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic