Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Despite Derision Over Demos And An Uncertain Future-WRME Lives!

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Ben Zonia

Despite Derision Over Demos And An Uncertain Future-WRME Lives!

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:55 pm

Despite the derision of their Demographics by so called radio experts who say it is virtually unmarketable, and a drop dead date set later this year for Franken FMs, WRME-LP 87.75, MeTV FM Chicago has scored it's best overall ratings ever, solidly at #10.

https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb005

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Despite Derision Over Demos And An Uncertain Future-WRME Lives!

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:15 pm

Not their best numbers ever but certainly impressive nonetheless. They've been in the mid 3's before.

The format bills less than $2 million in annual revenue, which places it near last place among Chicago's FM stations. However, that amount of revenue might be adequate to make the station profitable, as I suspect Weigel Broadcasting doesn't pay a particularly high sum of money to lease the signal (they operate it via LMA).

I will say the programming is a terrific use of that signal, and I'm happy to see the station has built a devout following.

I do hope the FCC reconsiders the "drop dead" date for Franken FMs or allows technology that permits aural analog audio to share the Channel 6 spectrum with digital video.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:57 pm

I might also add that the format and name is syndicated on some out of market stations, taking over on stations that were formerly oldies. That can be part of the following.

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:54 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:15 pm
The format bills less than $2 million in annual revenue, which places it near last place among Chicago's FM stations.
Really??? I could double that in a heartbeat with my slick moves and sales packages out the wazoo! What's your source of info? (I'm sorta on the outs and can't get to any of that stuff anymore..)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:15 pm

I recall reading that figure on the Radio Discussions site back in 2019.

I could probably use S&P Global Market Intelligence to obtain a more recent figure.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:05 pm

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:54 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:15 pm
The format bills less than $2 million in annual revenue, which places it near last place among Chicago's FM stations.
Really??? I could double that in a heartbeat with my slick moves and sales packages out the wazoo! What's your source of info? (I'm sorta on the outs and can't get to any of that stuff anymore..)
Maybe, just maybe, that has something to do with being off the low end of the dial and advertiser resistance to that?

It's just amazing that many listeners can find the station, let alone have ratings in or near the Top 10. It's amazing that stations in the 92-108 MHz band are below WRME-LP in the ratings. You really have to wonder what the ratings would be if WRME-LP was in 92-108 MHz. It's amazing that the owners of the 92-108 MHz stations are not more responsive to the older listeners, than to allow three plus percent of their listeners go to another station.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:06 pm

Even as an alternative rock station, the station earned respectable numbers in demo and about a 2.0 share in ages 6+.

Pretty remarkable when one considers many OEM head units in automobiles are unable to tune below 87.9 MHz.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:16 pm

FakeAndyStuart, check-in with fish-outta-water Fake Jonny D on K-100 for the latest numbers.
I think it's hilarious that a freaking Franken TV signal, that not all FM radios can even receive, can beat 50KW WLS- if you told me that in 1980, I'd bet a million dollars against it, in 1995, I'd bet $100K, but after the dial went to hell, post 1996, all bets are off.

Hell, Cumulus would be better off running ME-TV on 98.3 than GNash, and it wouldn't rob them of WRQN listeners as they've already lost some of the older demo when they ditched 60's for 80's music.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic