Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Toledo Station For Sale

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
burytheneedle

Re: Toledo Station For Sale

Post by burytheneedle » Wed May 19, 2021 9:40 am

I think I know the answer to this but I figured I'd ask. Does anyone have contact info for whoever owns the building? If they're gutting it I'd like to see if they're selling some old studio equipment.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed May 19, 2021 9:49 am

Hey, made a trip to WJYM site late Tuesday afternoon and there were 2 tower climbers making their way up their newly installed FM/AM (4th) tower. Looks like a 6 bay antenna on the West side of the tower (unfortunately not the North side of the tower). All the guys appear to be installed, but the tower needs a paint job from its silver color, or a NTOA. Nothing on 730 or on 106.9 at that time.

JGP1954

Post by JGP1954 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:45 am

After all this time, unless someone knows differently, I'm beginning to believe the Toledo AM/FM combo for sale is....WPAY! I believe Fusion is just flipping WPAY using the lack of Sports in the Toledo as a carrot to lure a buyer. $635,000 sounds like an exorbitant price for WPAY, but then, it's only the asking price.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:45 pm

lack of sports? There are 2 sports stations and that might be too many

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:35 pm

JGP1954 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:45 am
After all this time, unless someone knows differently, I'm beginning to believe the Toledo AM/FM combo for sale is....WPAY! I believe Fusion is just flipping WPAY using the lack of Sports in the Toledo as a carrot to lure a buyer. $635,000 sounds like an exorbitant price for WPAY, but then, it's only the asking price.
And where's WPAY-FM?
Lack of sports? What about 100.7 and 1230?

Step 1) Open mouth.
Step2) Insert left foot.

JGP1954

Post by JGP1954 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:07 pm

I just thought all of you broadcast sharpies, just might have seen the display ad advertising, "Toledo needs a Sports Radio Station", $635,000 for a Toledo AM/FM, plus acreage. The ad has run for at least a couple of months, and that's the tact they are taking to sell whatever station that they're trying to sell.
So, you may re-insert the your left foot down your throat. It might even elevate your IQ at the same time.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:38 pm

JGP1954 wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:07 pm
I just thought all of you broadcast sharpies, just might have seen the display ad advertising, "Toledo needs a Sports Radio Station", $635,000 for a Toledo AM/FM, plus acreage. The ad has run for at least a couple of months, and that's the tact they are taking to sell whatever station that they're trying to sell.
So, you may re-insert the your left foot down your throat. It might even elevate your IQ at the same time.
I only insert dick in my throat... but thanks. Now if you wanna be my shrimper, I'll let you suck my toes and call them "cheetos." Be angry at your own logic, not me pointing out what you missed that was plainly clear. Lotsa Industries employees even could figure we had 2 sport stations, along with no FM for WPAY. Pay closer attention.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:46 pm

JGP1954 wrote:
If so, that's an idiotic "tact" even if the price were much lower. Literally no one thinks Toledo needs a 3rd sports station except the odd nutjob who wants CBS Sports Radio for whatever reason. If they had kept the Zone on 100.7 when 106.5 was sold, then it would be different, but no.

You accepting the ad as fact shows you don't know a lot about the Toledo market.

JGP1954

Post by JGP1954 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:20 pm

I know what the Toledo sports radio situation is. I get emails from station brokers, and they run a display ad showing an overhead photo of downtown Toledo. From memory, the ad states "Toledo Deserves an All Sports Station" and "$635,000 for AM/FM Station with Acreage". Before I was insulted by TeddyBear, my point was that the only station that fits the ads description is most likely WPAY. Hence, my belief is that Fusion is flipping WPAY. And, just about everybody who visits this website understands the Toledo sports radio situation. It's not that complicated. I do know the Toledo radio market, although the way these FMs are flipping formats all the time, I can't keep up. I believe Toledo is way overserved on the FM dial. So TeddyBear, please take a reading comprehension course before you insult people.

JGP1954

Post by JGP1954 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:31 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:46 pm
JGP1954 wrote:
If so, that's an idiotic "tact" even if the price were much lower. Literally no one thinks Toledo needs a 3rd sports station except the odd nutjob who wants CBS Sports Radio for whatever reason. If they had kept the Zone on 100.7 when 106.5 was sold, then it would be different, but no.

You accepting the ad as fact shows you don't know a lot about the Toledo market.
Hey friend, obviously I'm not as learned as you. But, the people, that are selling the station for sale in the ad, aren't mentioning the other sports station in their advertisement. Maybe, they think that Toledo deserves a real, locally based, sports-talk station, with local sports hosts and not, just another Fox, or ESPN repeater. Remember, it's their ad, not mine. Lighten up.

JGP1954

Post by JGP1954 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:22 pm

Oh, one more thing, doesn't WPAY have a FM repeater or two? That might account for the FM mentioned in their ad.

Ok, let's start over, let's be analytical about what station is being advertised? Since, many of you say you are more knowledgeable about Toledo radio than me, what station AM/FM combo is being advertised for $635,000? My guess is WPAY, what's yours?

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:13 pm

JGP1954 wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:22 pm
Since, many of you say you are more knowledgeable about Toledo radio than me"
Can we be any more condescending?? You sound like you are in one of my people's bars, like Caesar's Showbar or Georgie's. With that said, you can be my shrimper in the restroom stall. Lots of hot times there. Or we can meet at Home Depot on Central... the disabled stall, like we do to date. But let's not call it a date- just a chance encounter.

By the way- They don't support me, I don't support them. Those idiots think my community recruits. So I would never listen to 1520 or 92.1. Besides, when I'm up there, I could never pull in 92.1 clear at all.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:56 am

It was a miracle Tuesday night. WPAY blurted out the EAS header and Severe Thunderstorm Warnings OTA. The only station in town I heard it live on while scanning the dial. Not sure what the originating station was as I don't think it was on LP-1, yet it has 2 seconds of the EBS tones, so maybe via PBS network or IPAWS rather than WRVF/WIOT or NWR?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:44 am

Maybe, they think that Toledo deserves a real, locally based, sports-talk station, with local sports hosts and not, just another Fox, or ESPN repeater
...because we all know, great sports radio talent would just FLOCK to Toledo to talk about the Mud Hens and Walleye all day long if such an opportunity availed itself. :hat

Sports radio is nothing more than an ultra niche format in markets that lack a major conference Division I school that is a powerhouse, lack an NFL team, and lack an MLB team that is worth a damn.

Between AM 1230, FM 100.7, and spill over stations from Detroit (97.1) and Cleveland (850), the market for sports/talk in Toledo is already saturated.

If a throwaway AM station & FM translator combo are indeed listed for $635,000, the listing broker needs to probably reduce that absurdly high asking price by at least 75 percent. 106.5 just sold for peanuts and even 107.7 (decent FM signal with nearly full market coverage with a 60 dBu or better signal) sold for only $350,000, if I remember correctly.

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:49 pm

Delmarva paid just over 100k for 106.5, Cumulus donated a lion share of what the station, basically a tax write off. I knew a religious broadcaster would wind up with 106.5. Back in later 1998, Dudley sold the station for around 2 Mil if I recall to Cumulus. Talk about a good move for him, then 22 years later The Cloud basically gave it away.

Yeah.. more sports? Not gonna happen . 1520 or 730, I would love to see a Spanish Language format on one of those 2. Toledo's growing Hispanic/Latino Population is very underserved in terms of radio. 96.5 is a nice idea but it's got the power of a plug in night light.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic