Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Will 98.3 in Monroe Re-brand or Flip?

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Deleted User 15502

Will 98.3 in Monroe Re-brand or Flip?

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:35 pm

With Cumulus phasing out The Nash-FM branding, what will 98.3 in Monroe MI do? With they retain the format but just change the name? " Country 98.3 WMIM" . Maybe bring back The Tower 98 name, but keep country or flip to AC?

WOHO

Re: Will 98.3 in Monroe Re-brand or Flip?

Post by WOHO » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:06 pm

JACK-FM (or Doug-FM) variety gold hits for in the office workdays....Goodbye GNash
And while stunting, use "Tower 98" and "WVMO beautiful music references".
And to top it off, play Jim Stafford's "Cow Patty" 3000x so people think it's another country station?

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:40 pm

98.3 will likely stay country. It's weird, but while Nash-FM's are dropping like flies, Nash-Icon stations are very common. I bet 98.3 stays with the AC-style presentation, so as to differentiate themselves from K100.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:34 pm

Heathcliff wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:35 pm
With Cumulus phasing out The Nash-FM branding, what will 98.3 in Monroe MI do? With they retain the format but just change the name? " Country 98.3 WMIM" . Maybe bring back The Tower 98 name, but keep country or flip to AC?
The format must be viable to a small town/village. CHR and AC were not well tolerated in Monroe. Monroe and Monroe County (the whole area, really) is VERY conservative. They are very closed minded. Even an internet station owned by Michelle Palled and run by Jerry Gysin failed. If 98.3 changed formats, it could only do soft oldies, but that would semi-compete with the other Monroe FM, which used to be that 80's station (now Rewind 94.3, formerly 97.5).

I'm thinking it will stay country.

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:45 am

Country seems likely to stay. I see a new name though.

JGP1954

Post by JGP1954 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:22 am

Why not keep the "Nash" name, is it copyrighted or something? Probably, but by only it's current owners. I think Classic Country is the only way for that station to go. It's a tough nut being in Monroe, and trying for Toledo audience. Tower-98 tried to do it for years, and didn't seem too successful.

I worked at Tower-98 many years ago, briefly. The inmates were running the asylum. It seemed Monroe's radio audience split between Detroit and Toledo, and Monroe was an afterthought. The local advertisers didn't support the station very well. Maybe now, if it was kept Classic Country, and was more Monroe-centric. It could be successful. It would take a lot of promotion, live local broadcasts, giveaways, etc. But, would ownership invest in that type of commitment? Probably not, they have other fish to fry!

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:07 pm

JGP1954 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:22 am
Why not keep the "Nash" name, is it copyrighted or something? Probably, but by only it's current owners. I think Classic Country is the only way for that station to go. It's a tough nut being in Monroe, and trying for Toledo audience. Tower-98 tried to do it for years, and didn't seem too successful.

I worked at Tower-98 many years ago, briefly. The inmates were running the asylum. It seemed Monroe's radio audience split between Detroit and Toledo, and Monroe was an afterthought. The local advertisers didn't support the station very well. Maybe now, if it was kept Classic Country, and was more Monroe-centric. It could be successful. It would take a lot of promotion, live local broadcasts, giveaways, etc. But, would ownership invest in that type of commitment? Probably not, they have other fish to fry!
I've never worked in radio, but I have heard that about Tower 98. What gets me is, why did they move the transmitter to Luna Pier to target Toledo Ohio, anyway? what was the point? Years ago, when Alt rock was a more viable format I had thought 98.3 and 106.5(from Delta Ohio) should of been paired together. They won't do it, but if 98.3 targeted Toledo again, they should actually pair 100.7 up with it. I knew a guy who lived in Carleton and he would always listen to Detroit stations mostly.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:33 pm

Heathcliff wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:07 pm
JGP1954 wrote:

I've never worked in radio, but I have heard that about Tower 98. What gets me is, why did they move the transmitter to Luna Pier to target Toledo Ohio, anyway? what was the point? Years ago, when Alt rock was a more viable format I had thought 98.3 and 106.5(from Delta Ohio) should of been paired together. They won't do it, but if 98.3 targeted Toledo again, they should actually pair 100.7 up with it. I knew a guy who lived in Carleton and he would always listen to Detroit stations mostly.
They were CHR at that time and the idea was probably to shave a few extra ratings points off Kiss FM to help K100. It worked, as they did briefly become a contender in the market - I think they even beat WVKS in a few demos. They reported as a Rhythmic CHR at this time though they still played artists like Green Day. Eventually Cumulus forced their more milquetoast/vanilla/Hot AC brand of CHR on the station, the rhythmic lean disappeared and so did the ratings, hence the flip to My 98-3 and the move to be a Monroe station again though they were now really a rimshot into Monroe at best.

For what it's worth, a friend of mine who lives in the market tells me that K100 is adding some '90s back into rotation. Whether that's the harbinger of a flip at 98.3 (since WCKY-FM now outrates them in the throwback country area) or just a reaction to how poor current country product is, I'm not sure. 102.9 W4 in Ann Arbor plays a fair amount of '90s as well.

BASProShop

Post by BASProShop » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:47 pm

If my memory is correct, they didn't move the transmitter to Luna Pier. They moved the city of license to Luna Pier. That allowed them to move the transmitter itself to Toledo (on K100's tower). But they needed to use a directional antenna that lowered the signal over Toledo to protect WDFM Defiance at 98.1.

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:39 pm

Ok.. maybe that's what I meant. Still, they should of just kept things as they were IMO.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:05 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:33 pm
Heathcliff wrote:
JGP1954 wrote:

They were CHR at that time and the idea was probably to shave a few extra ratings points off Kiss FM to help K100. It worked, as they did briefly become a contender in the market - I think they even beat WVKS in a few demos. They reported as a Rhythmic CHR at this time though they still played artists like Green Day. Eventually Cumulus forced their more milquetoast/vanilla/Hot AC brand of CHR on the station, the rhythmic lean disappeared and so did the ratings, hence the flip to My 98-3 and the move to be a Monroe station again though they were now really a rimshot into Monroe at best.

For what it's worth, a friend of mine who lives in the market tells me that K100 is adding some '90s back into rotation. Whether that's the harbinger of a flip at 98.3 (since WCKY-FM now outrates them in the throwback country area) or just a reaction to how poor current country product is, I'm not sure. 102.9 W4 in Ann Arbor plays a fair amount of '90s as well.
It seems like K100 plays one 90's song an ever, with imaging prior to saying, "Remember where we came from". Perhaps this the way to bring back some of their old listeners?

When I first started listening to K100 around 2005-2006, 90's were a big part of their playlist, even playing all 90's at 9 in the morning.

I still think W4 plays more 90's and 2000's than K100.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:16 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:05 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:33 pm
Heathcliff wrote:
JGP1954 wrote:

It seems like K100 plays one 90's song an ever, with imaging prior to saying, "Remember where we came from". Perhaps this the way to bring back some of their old listeners?

When I first started listening to K100 around 2005-2006, 90's were a big part of their playlist, even playing all 90's at 9 in the morning.

I still think W4 plays more 90's and 2000's than K100.
WCKY has gotten as high as 2.5 in recent months and were even beating Q105 for a time. That's despite being a rimshot at best and still featuring Bobby Bones in mornings which doesn't mesh with the rest of their music.

Comparing their online playlists, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference to me between K100 and W4. It seems both average one '90s track per hour, though they're played at different times during the hour. In terms of the overall mix, though, W4 seems more listenable to me. Both are light years ahead of WY- er, 99-5 YCD which seems hell bent on pandering to 14-year-old girls with crushes on Sam Hunt.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:33 am

BASProShop wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:47 pm
If my memory is correct, they didn't move the transmitter to Luna Pier. They moved the city of license to Luna Pier. That allowed them to move the transmitter itself to Toledo (on K100's tower). But they needed to use a directional antenna that lowered the signal over Toledo to protect WDFM Defiance at 98.1.
Their original tower was south of Monroe. Not by choice. They had to have distance separation from 92.3 and 93.1 in Detroit.

FWIW, 92.3 has a deep null to the southwest, protecting first-adjacent 92.5 Toledo Class.B.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:50 am

JGP1954 wrote:

Put another way, it would be a little CFCO, with local content sprinkled in, perhaps with obituaries and crop market reports.

JGP1954

Post by JGP1954 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:15 pm

BASProShop wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:47 pm
Maybe I've been out of the business too long, but I've never heard of a directional FM broadcast tower or signal. Most AM stations are directional by design to protect other stations with adjacent or close frequencies. That's why they usually have multiple towers. While FM stations have only one tower, strategically placed. Generally speaking, a FM broadcast signal broadcast in a 360 degree pattern emanating from the tower. Back when WTWR moved their transmitter closer to Toledo, they were attempting to cover Toledo better with their signal. As I recall, the old Monroe signal barely reached Bowling Green. Also if my memory is correct, WVMO, i.e.,WTWR, broadcast in monaural back in the day. Back then, some FM stations broadcast in mono because the signal would carry further. However, some FM radios wouldn't pick up a mono signal.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic