Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

106.9fm Runs out of energy in Milwaukee

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Deleted User 15502

106.9fm Runs out of energy in Milwaukee

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:08 pm

Deleted User 15062

Re: 106.9fm Runs out of energy in Milwaukee

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:41 pm

Heathcliff wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:08 pm
https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2066 ... milwaukee/

I was waiting for this.
They never had any "energy" in the first place. They were too scared to go to dance (CHR/D or EDM), which is what the "energy" brand meant. I guarantee they never ever played the Pet Shop Boys at any time, or their currents throughout the "energy" brand. They've been putting out Dance tunes forever and 14 years- like Minimal, Home and Dry, Go West and Dreamland. I also doubt they play Shane Codd's "Get out My Head" the current #1 dance song in America. I have heard hip hop on there, mixed with a few white teenie bopper/bubble gum tunes.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:27 pm

TeddyBear wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:41 pm
Heathcliff wrote:

I was waiting for this.
They never had any "energy" in the first place. They were too scared to go to dance (CHR/D or EDM), which is what the "energy" brand meant. I guarantee they never ever played the Pet Shop Boys at any time, or their currents throughout the "energy" brand. They've been putting out Dance tunes forever and 14 years- like Minimal, Home and Dry, Go West and Dreamland. I also doubt they play Shane Codd's "Get out My Head" the current #1 dance song in America. I have heard hip hop on there, mixed with a few white teenie bopper/bubble gum tunes.
Not to mention a puny signal that barely covers Milwaukee and its inner-ring suburbs and is extremely short-spaced to WOOD-FM. 106.9 signed on in 1995 and WRXS will be its 11th call sign since then!

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:55 pm

TeddyBear wrote:
Heathcliff wrote:

I was waiting for this.
"Energy" is the biggest of misnomers for a CHR/Pop or CHR/Rhythmic format at the moment, with every song featuring the same trop-house or trap beat. It's akin to still calling an AC station "lite rock" or "soft rock" when 75% of the music is neither soft nor rock.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:22 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:55 pm
TeddyBear wrote:
Heathcliff wrote:

I was waiting for this.
"Energy" is the biggest of misnomers for a CHR/Pop or CHR/Rhythmic format at the moment, with every song featuring the same trop-house or trap beat. It's akin to still calling an AC station "lite rock" or "soft rock" when 75% of the music is neither soft nor rock.

"Energy" referred to Beats Per Minute (BPM) originally. Anything over 120 bpm was "energy." Hot 102 was sorta getting close to it, but was a touch on the hip hop and soul side. Energy basically was Hot 102 before it became Alternative, just in a modern time.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:14 pm

The signal is not bad bad, such as the Zone's is, but is just as bad as Q105's. They could be more directional and be nulled over Lake Michigan, for a 6 KW signal lift. Not too much power, as they need to stay away from Mix 106-9 in Wisconsin Dells. However, if they go on WNNO's signal, not really much harm. That station sounds crappy anyhow.

Deleted User 15525

Post by Deleted User 15525 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:19 pm

Heathcliff wrote:

I was waiting for this.
Will Oldies on FM be the next big thing in major and medium markets? What’s old is new.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:15 pm

Well, so far, the format is performing horribly in the ratings on 50 kW WBFX in Grand Rapids.

To TeddyBear - 106.9's signal in the Milwaukee metro does suck whenever DX-ing conditions are favorable. Also, their signal is quite directional, as the map from R-L attests.

If you get more than, say, 10 miles from the TX site - especially south - there are quite a few occasions where listeners will hear a mish-mash of that station and 106.9 FM from Muskegon.

Given the limitations of the signal, this format choice probably isn't half bad. However, I would've preferred to see a return to the station's prior format - before the flip to Energy 106.9 - which was Country Gold ("Big Buck 106.9").

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:30 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:15 pm
Well, so far, the format is performing horribly in the ratings on 50 kW WBFX in Grand Rapids.

To TeddyBear - 106.9's signal in the Milwaukee metro does suck whenever DX-ing conditions are favorable. Also, their signal is quite directional, as the map from R-L attests.

If you get more than, say, 10 miles from the TX site - especially south - there are quite a few occasions where listeners will hear a mish-mash of that station and 106.9 FM from Muskegon.

Given the limitations of the signal, this format choice probably isn't half bad. However, I would've preferred to see a return to the station's prior format - before the flip to Energy 106.9 - which was Country Gold ("Big Buck 106.9").
Directional, yes. But turn that "D" 90 degrees counterclockwise. The only thing that I'm aware of that might need to be protected in IL, is a LPFM on 107.1 Chicago. And full powers have the right of airwaves. No reason to null south. I can easily see a boost to make 106.9 6 KW. I can't see anything over 8.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic