Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WTOL (CBS) Toledo approved for power increase by FCC.

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
YpsiGuy

WTOL (CBS) Toledo approved for power increase by FCC.

Post by YpsiGuy » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:07 am

FCC finally granted WTOL a construction permit for increasing signal power from 16 to 26 kW.

WTOL is Virtual 11 and RF11 as well.

km1125

Re: WTOL (CBS) Toledo approved for power increase by FCC.

Post by km1125 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:12 am

Nice to hear. With some of the weather patterns, I start losing it. That move should give me enough headroom to weather the weather.

mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Post by mtburb » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:49 pm

With that power, I guess I'll probably start receiving it more often.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:35 am

They should reduce the pixilation from the rabbit ears on windy days- maybe? Did WTVG get an increase as well?

YpsiGuy

Post by YpsiGuy » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:45 am

Not yet on WTVG. Request is still pending.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:36 am

Anyone have any insight on when this might happen?

Toledo Radio Died

Post by Toledo Radio Died » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:20 am

Great!!... Now there’s signal will be able to travel to Findlay, Ohio. 😂🤣

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:29 pm

Toledo Radio Died wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:20 am
Findlay should be covered on the Lima CBS/ABC channel "35" (RF's 18 WOHL/35 WAMS/27 WPNM). Not to be confused with the old "35," which is now WLIO 8, which is NBC and FOX.

Cracks me up when Toledo stations cover out of market cities that have their own local news stations. In this case, "Your News Now" from Lima and WTOL/13abc. It's kinda like Blade Holdings never created the 1 station with 2 network subchannels.

I also wonder why WFND 19 (BCSN) does not multiplex with a CW feed. That's the only major network not in the Lima/Findlay market so far. All stations mentioned (AKA, Hometown Stations) are owned by Blade Holdings/Buckeye CableSystem/TeleSystem/Toledo Blade, former ToledoVision 5/WT05/Toledo's CW station owner on Buckeye.
Last edited by Deleted User 15062 on Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:38 pm

TeddyBear wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:29 pm
Toledo Radio Died wrote:
Cracks me up when Toledo stations cover out of market cities that have their own local news stations. In this case, "Your News Now" from Lima and WTOL/13abc. It's kinda like Blade Holdings never created the 1 station with 2 network subchannels.
Or the over-coverage of far SE Michigan news, which they're doing largely trying to get Monroe County switched from Detroit's DMA to Toledo's. It's kind of silly really, if you have stations available from a major market like Detroit why would you rather watch hacks like Sashem Brey or Melissa Andrews do the news?

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:48 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:38 pm
TeddyBear wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:29 pm
Toledo Radio Died wrote:
Or the over-coverage of far SE Michigan news, which they're doing largely trying to get Monroe County switched from Detroit's DMA to Toledo's. It's kind of silly really, if you have stations available from a major market like Detroit why would you rather watch hacks like Sashem Brey or Melissa Andrews do the news?
Agreed. Plus, look at other markets.... Toledo newscasts are piss poor, lowest of the low, for a major or semi-major market. They use just the major market dictated graphics packages, and stories... but have no innovation or idea how to improve the current newscasts. My point, Toledo TV "news" has not evolved, and keep using the same low level hacks reporting and anchoring. Toledo looks like a "fresh out of college" news market. Even the veterans here are not up to par. NOT the first time I said this. I can understand if Toledo were market 237. Compare Juneau Alaska TV "news" to Toledo... No change in what we are seeing. We are many times more major than Juneau, yet look and act just like Juneau's news teams and newscast formulas. Pretty close to KOTA's newscasts too. Yes, that pitiful!

BTW, both 11 and 13 are boosted, to also answer the above question.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:00 am

It's really frustrating because if you go back 10 years, WTOL was a quality operation for this size market, WTVG was a solid ABC O&O instead of a Gray happy talk station that downplays local pandemic stats so as not to make great holy sponsor Promedica look bad, WUPW while low budget employed good people like Laura Emerson and Shaun Hegarty, and a couple of years later even longtime doormat WNWO started producing a decent newscast.

Now the latter two of those news operations are gone, WTOL just coasts on decades of people having watched Heitz, Tabner, Anderson and Peterson while hiring people who can barely read the prompter, and WTVG will do likewise once Larson and Conklin retire.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:07 am

CurlyHoward wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:00 am
It's really frustrating because if you go back 10 years, WTOL was a quality operation for this size market, WTVG was a solid ABC O&O instead of a Gray happy talk station that downplays local pandemic stats so as not to make great holy sponsor Promedica look bad, WUPW while low budget employed good people like Laura Emerson and Shaun Hegarty, and a couple of years later even longtime doormat WNWO started producing a decent newscast.

Now the latter two of those news operations are gone, WTOL just coasts on decades of people having watched Heitz, Tabner, Anderson and Peterson while hiring people who can barely read the prompter, and WTVG will do likewise once Larson and Conklin retire.
Your whole argument can be summed up as this: Ego and entitled.

I go even further to show that:

1) EVERY STATION in the Toledo DMA still uses the 1987 formula and psychology. If you remember, that's also when ABC introduced bugs in the lower right corner of the program.

2) I am also talking about everybody not looking professional.

A) On-Air personel that are awkward.... Amy Steigerwald comes to mind, followed by Bill Spencer and the oddball "lollypop" wx guy on 11 that is the new one. And I also cannot forget Findlay reporter John Monk. 11 in particular, is apparently so desperate, they hire 24's flunkies. Yes, even Tiffany Tarpley from 24 is on 11 now. How joy.

B) The On-Air staff does not speak correctly. Alexis Means is a prime example. Why she is so far up the chain, is beyond me. Andrew Kinsey never spoke like she does. She needs vocal and diction training. After that, she may be better. Let's also not forget how angered and intense she tends to sound.

C) Every reporter is not able to drink legally. At least that's what it looks like. Way too green.

3) Toledo never was a news township. No reason to have as many newscasts. But, the stations overcharge and make a mint off of spots during "news."

4) The investigative reports are nothing to investigate. The other night, 11 replayed and interviewed someone at a BLM rally in Toledo. Not at all timely nor investigative.

5) Compare 1987 news to now. EXACT duplicate. Hairstyles have changed, but nothing else.

6) Look at small markets. Look at all the Toledo news. Same. Nothing different. Watch Rob Powers on Newschannel 5 Cleveland and see how he improved and what they do vs Toledo. Big chasm! Bigger than the Grand Canyon.

7) Toledo NEVER WAS innovative. TV or Radio. That says it all. No chances taken, no forward momentum.

8 ) News is not about the people here. Don't ever explain this to your News Director. In my case, it was a "he." He did not like what I noticed and suggested. But then again, I only watch Toledo news for the WX nowadays. Too bad that I catch the other ugly stuff before the wx.

9) Only watch the "news" for 30 minutes, then shut it off. After all, it's the same exact tripe. They almost record it like CBS News, all overnight newscasts and Newsy do. Maybe 13abc should just show their online loop feed between 5-6:30, just to give Lee and Diane a break. We are seeing something close to that, with slightly different banter during each half hour. Hint: If you miss the 5pm news, you should miss out on allot of stories. Nosiness and fear of missing out keep news going. Why not use that to the station's advantage? I see this in other markets, who do not cookie cutter the news.

So heritage anchors meant nothing here, besides emotion. The only emotion that matters in Toledo's news is the station's. And all 3 stations are on the stock exchange. That says everything.

Think of it this way- Toledo, Ohio news- Happy. Homogenized. Unimportant.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:54 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:00 am

Yeah, Toledo TV was so much better 10 years than now. I miss having the choice of 4 different news operations. WTOL is OK still, but it's not the same since Jerry and Chrys retired. There doesn't seem to lots of longevity anymore besides the weather and sports, and Dan Cummins hasn't been sports director for a few years now. 13 ABC still has mostly the same people, but the newscasts have changed so much. WUPW was actually very underrated IMO prior to WTOL taking over newscasts. I always liked their sportscasts. Their meteorologists were decent but the forecasts were average. I think the overall production was pretty good. WNWO really started to become great in 2014 but the ratings were average at best, and Sinclair then wanted to save some money, so they moved everything to South Bend. I bet most of Toledo cannot name anyone of WNWO'S current staff right now. I wish we could back to all 4 local news operations.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:58 pm

WTVG has been approved too

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:18 am

WTVG would be better served by having stories that only air at 5pm- you miss it, too bad, not at 5:30 or 6pm, maybe an edited version at 11pm. Investigative reporting at 5:30, but sorry, don't get it at 6pm. Leave your viewers wanting for more and forcing them to watch 90 minutes instead of a quarter hour at 6-6:15pm. I was happy with the local product NBC24 put out in 2010, had an active local newsroom, Blizzard Bill and sports guy Eric is now on WTVG's morning staff. Heck, even WUPW had decent broadcast news with Laura Emerson in her tight leather jackets while her hubby did the weather- all acceptable quality. FCC/Congress Communications Act of 1996 will go down as the worst piece of legislation, killing local competition.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic