Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Cumulus changes

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
radioandtventhusiast

Cumulus changes

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:39 pm

Just checked out the Cumulus websites and it looks like Jonny D is now the night guy on 93.5 and Mookie is now doing middays on 94.5 going by Andrews. It looks like Bill Stewart may be out completely unless he does a weekend show.

Deleted User 15062

Re: Cumulus changes

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:51 pm

Changes? You mean VT'd. As for Bill Stewart, he seems to think he will be rehired, as of a few days ago. Poor sap. To be honest, if the format keeps moving ahead in time, he does not exactly fit the Classic Hits format. He does fit oldies, like Dr. Gold did. But that style of radio is long gone. Nice guy though. Luckily he has another job as an EMT.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:13 pm

TeddyBear wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:51 pm
Changes? You mean VT'd. As for Bill Stewart, he seems to think he will be rehired, as of a few days ago. Poor sap. To be honest, if the format keeps moving ahead in time, he does not exactly fit the Classic Hits format. He does fit oldies, like Dr. Gold did. But that style of radio is long gone. Nice guy though. Luckily he has another job as an EMT.
I'm positive both Johny and Mookie's shifts are VT'D. I don't know where else Bill would land. Almost all of RQN's jocks from 10 year ago fit oldies better. Bob Kelly, Ron Finn, Ron Sobczak, Buddy Carr, and both Bill and Dr. Gold. Bill's EMT job was really his full-time anyway.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:39 am

Ron Finn is the only one still on the air that I'm aware of (on WNOC), that is, until I win my lottery and buy a station that will run a solid gold oldies format and rehire the WRQN jocks- even if it's only for 5 years, it's something that I would still want to do - my parents miss the old WRQN, and my kids surprisingly too, want the oldies that they were raised on (and on vinyl to boot).

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:03 pm

WOHO wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:39 am
Ron Finn is the only one still on the air that I'm aware of (on WNOC), that is, until I win my lottery and buy a station that will run a solid gold oldies format and rehire the WRQN jocks- even if it's only for 5 years, it's something that I would still want to do - my parents miss the old WRQN, and my kids surprisingly too, want the oldies that they were raised on (and on vinyl to boot).
Not just that, but bring back the '60s-'70s style jingles that were similar to 93.5's old package.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:35 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:03 pm

Not just that, but bring back the '60s-'70s style jingles that were similar to 93.5's old package.
Hopefully not that Ken R crap! Always hated their jingles. They were the Century , before we even knew who Century Jingles was. FYI, TM's jingles are horrible on all the Cumulus stations like Your Hick Parade @ 99.9 and WRQN.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:01 pm

TeddyBear wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:35 pm

Hopefully not that Ken R crap! Always hated their jingles. They were the Century , before we even knew who Century Jingles was. FYI, TM's jingles are horrible on all the Cumulus stations like Your Hick Parade @ 99.9 and WRQN.
Who did the jingles from the late 90's to early 2010's for 93.5? Ken R. or Century?

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:43 pm

Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:01 pm
TeddyBear wrote:

Who did the jingles from the late 90's to early 2010's for 93.5? Ken R. or Century?
If you mean - "935, W- R- Q- NNNNNN!" Was the 1988 "WPLJ" package from TM Century. Originally written for 955 WPLJ, to compete with Z100 New York.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:28 pm

TeddyBear wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:43 pm
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:01 pm
TeddyBear wrote:

If you mean - "935, W- R- Q- NNNNNN!" Was the 1988 "WPLJ" package from TM Century. Originally written for 955 WPLJ, to compete with Z100 New York.
Yes. I'm pretty sure that's the package I was talking about. Those were the best jingles WRQN ever had. I wish I could hear them again.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:12 am

Best jingles I heard was on Fresh FM, just before they became New 102 in New York.

I'm not at all saying that iHeart's jingles are better, but they at least add effects into their jingle packages, such as reverse reverb, etc. The Cumulus cookie cutter jingles are way too 1943 for being in the 2020's. Nothing new learned, status quo for too long., and homogenized. How boring! Once again... the psychology of radio. Not 1 person in charge knows any of it.

Correction: The person who produces the Q105 imaging and sets the aux marks. They have learned it. And we know its not Aaron. Aaron's aux marks are to loose. 5 years in that job, and proper aux marks were never learned by Production.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:21 pm

What was K100's longtime jingle package that was used until recently? Was that also TM Century?

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:07 pm

Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:21 pm
What was K100's longtime jingle package that was used until recently? Was that also TM Century?
Can't remember the package. But Your Hick Parade @99.9 used Thompson Creative for sure. The same folks that did Q104's (Houston's Mix) jingles.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:01 am

Cumulus continues to spiral around the drain; sold WABC, and now they are selling all their towers, and hoping that will get to rent them back- good luck with that boys and girls.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:12 am

"Hoping" ????

Wow, you really don't understand how commercial transactions work.

The purchase agreement REQUIRES the buyer to lease the tower space back to Cumulus. The transaction economics are the equivalent of a 14x cash flow multiple in Cumulus' favor. This is a TERRIFIC deal for Cumulus.

Anything north of 8x, frankly, would be a deal worth doing.

The deal helps to de-lever Cumulus' balance sheet, which increases the company's chances of long-term financial viability. Tower management has never been a core strength of Cumulus, hence the lack of third party rental income from those tower sites. The buyer will be able to decide which towers to keep and which ones to rip down to make the land more valuable for resale.

Coming out of Bankruptcy, the Company's balance sheet had a debt to EBITDA ratio in the neighborhood of 5x to 5.5x. Not good for a company in a slowly dying industry (commercial radio broadcasting). However, the Company has done a decent job of divesting itself of deadweight or poorly performing assets (the towers, WABC, KLOS, 106.7 in Atlanta, WPLJ, etc) at attractive cash flow multiples, which has really allowed it to knock out a big chunk of its bank debt with only minor impact to future earnings.

So, instead of a 5x to 5.5x leverage ratio, Cumulus is now going to be at about a 3.5x leverage ratio once COVID is in the rear view mirror.

Ideally, they should be at a 2x to 2.5x leverage ratio, but already, their capital position compares favorably to many of their peers. Take Beasley, for instance. Even before COVID, their leverage ratio was up around 5x. Entercom is probably somewhere between 4.5x and 5x on a pre-COVID basis.

You act is if KEEPING a moribund, boomer station like WABC would have been a wise move. :lol:

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:42 am

It's a bad deal because Cumulus has hardly any renters. Where the 14.25x is coming from?

This is the equivalent of you selling your house that you own free and clear to mortgage company for $142,500. They then require you to lease it back to you for $10,000 a year (and make you pay the taxes) and they have the ability to rent all the extra rooms to someone else while you are there. At the end of the 10 year lease they bulldoze the property and kick you out.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic