Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Columbus' radio sucks as bad as Toledo's

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Deleted User 15062

Columbus' radio sucks as bad as Toledo's

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:17 am

Listening to several "trendy" radio stations in Columbus, Ohio. Wow! It's bad!

Mix 107-9, formerly oldies, now Adult CHR, is way too prissy and so loose a cruiseliner fits between the sweepers and songs. No forward momentum. Then dry weather, followed by a sweeper, tune-out space then a song. Obviously, VT'd.

"Today's" Sunny 95 is tighter, but reminds me of "105 FM," the predecessor of "Star 105." Why call yourself "Today's," if you mostly are "Yesterday's?" So far it appears to be 60% or so of Semi-soft gold. So far, Post Malone's "Circle" is the only current.

WNCI, NOT impressive. Before Clear Channel (iHeart) bought them, they were a powerhouse. Arthritis has set in, and the music is lagging, dragging and not as perky. I can think this is a low-beat version of Mix 107.9. How the mighty have fallen. 150,000 watts wasted.

I was always told by a friend at TM Century Studios that Columbus was a major market. I am not getting that picture now. Even 10TV has fallen. They changed too. It almost seems too "family friendly," which translates to the market being dull.

audiophile

Re: Columbus' radio sucks as bad as Toledo's

Post by audiophile » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:07 am

There's a lot more stations than that! Comment on a few more.

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/locat ... &sort=freq

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:33 pm

audiophile wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:07 am
There's a lot more stations than that! Comment on a few more.

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/locat ... &sort=freq
If ya have to look it up, should you even be commenting? You could contribute, you know.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:07 pm

TeddyBear wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:17 am
"Today's" Sunny 95 is tighter, but reminds me of "105 FM," the predecessor of "Star 105." Why call yourself "Today's," if you mostly are "Yesterday's?" So far it appears to be 60% or so of Semi-soft gold.
If you think the use of "today" in a station name is bad, try "new" and use it for ten years or so. Tampa Bay's WWRM called their station "The New Magic 94.9" for over ten years, from the late 1990s to 2011, when someone finally had the bright idea to drop "The New" from the name.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:53 pm

One bright spot on the Columbus dial - 99.7 The Blitz. A phenomenal hard rock station.

Overall, though, I agree the market is loaded with bland sounding stations. 97.9 WNCI has sounded vanilla for many years. Hey, it works for them. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

There is a somewhat low supply of big signaled stations in the market. Too many Class A stations. Proximity to Cleveland and Cincinnati can be credited for that.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:26 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:53 pm
[...] Proximity to Cleveland and Cincinnati can be credited for that.
Columbus is about 125 miles from Cleveland; about 100 mi. from Cincinnati. That doesn't seem like "proximity" for FM listening.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:28 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:26 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
[...] Proximity to Cleveland and Cincinnati can be credited for that.
Columbus is about 125 miles from Cleveland; about 100 mi. from Cincinnati. That doesn't seem like "proximity" for FM listening.
MW is referring to the FCC spacing requirements of high power FM stations, not listenable signals.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:02 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
One bright spot on the Columbus dial - 99.7 The Blitz. A phenomenal hard rock station.

Overall, though, I agree the market is loaded with bland sounding stations. 97.9 WNCI has sounded vanilla for many years. Hey, it works for them. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

There is a somewhat low supply of big signaled stations in the market. Too many Class A stations. Proximity to Cleveland and Cincinnati can be credited for that.
As for 97.9, was really super hot in the 90's, when Charlie Van Dyke voiced it... same time he WTOL 11's voice work. They weren't CHR, but sounded like a major market CHR. Back then, they were Hot AC. They were still hot in the 2000's, but not as much. I remember it from the days I was being interviewed on WSYX 6. Back then, they had an EDM/Dance channel that was really low on the dial. Now that dance channel is on WNCI HD2, as Pride Radio. Not so sure about it not being broke.

The ones I listened to, all sound like 104.9- The River... blah blah bland. As for "vanilla," no... it's shake base. Nothing but milk and no flavor, sweeteners, color, or taste, without the syrups.

For TV, I never saw it being major market. Kinda reminds me of the South Bend market really.

However, since Tegna bought WBNS 10TV, it's not creative or innovative anymore. The EXACT same graphics as WTOL, but different colors. Same corporate-forced programming too.

If anyone remembers WAHC (Formet Oshkosh, WI calls at 96.7... "Superhit 97"), that called themselves 107.1 Kiss FM, they were not bad. Too bad the CHR format did not stick. Yeah, the same TM "KiisFM" package jingles of the day, but was allot better than both 97.9 and 107.9 put together. "107.1- chirp-chirp-chirp-chirp- Kiss FM, Col-um-bus----."

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:30 am

I hate Tegna, and I hate Scripps. Scripps ruined what had been a marvelous graphics package and on air look for TV-5 in Nashville.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri May 01, 2020 1:03 am

Can we have back ABC-owned Radio & TV networks, Jacor Broadcasting, Storer Broadcasting, Reams, Midwestern Broadcasting and never ever have ClearChannel/iHeart, Cumulus, and their ilk? I want my 1996 time machine to kill off the 1996 communications act. The media we loved is being starved, and it shows.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Fri May 01, 2020 2:37 pm

The funny thing that comes back to my head is that B97 never ever sounded that good either. I remember almost no imaging and no jingles. Seems CMH Hot AC and Adult CHR's are plaged into being prissified wimp stations. Palm Springs is kinda similar with their same formatted stations.

Deleted User 15299

Post by Deleted User 15299 » Wed May 06, 2020 6:59 pm

Columbus indeed is a mediocre at best market. The Toledo market has to be once of the worst in the country.

The Toledo Market lacks a variety hits station, it's never even fricken had one! and any sort of a real sports station, running ESPN feed 23 hrs a day doesn't count! Nor does Fox sports with a bunch of brokered stuff.

Way too much country. I'd love to see 1230 flip to oldies, pair it with the 92.9 Translator, Flip 103.7 to a simulcast of WSPD. Alas... it will never happen.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Fri May 08, 2020 6:47 pm

Correct King Kat! The best to hope for is that an LPFM gets started as those. For example, 97.7 that already airs oldies from Holland. 99.1 (Eagle 99) can almost be considered variety hits, as it tends to air more variety than the Iheart AC stations... but sounds like $h1t with imaging. Eagle's imaging compares to the 2 adult stations in my original post. Small towns can sound great and make it. Seems nobody wants to try or is encouraged.

Deleted User 15299

Post by Deleted User 15299 » Fri May 22, 2020 9:31 pm

Eagle 99 is listenable but not a fan of the imaging. I'd love to see 107.7 Flip to Classic Hits or even classic rock. Please someone give up the country format :evil: .

Toledo Radio Died

Post by Toledo Radio Died » Sat May 23, 2020 1:13 am

For the love of God, Please kill off 107.7 The Wolf some the music is ok but some of there imaging on that station is just horrible and it just seems like they run that station so cheap, much rather listen to K100 or W4. Really would be nice to see a Jack FM/variety hits come to this market. All the other stations in Toledo pretty much ignore the 90’s except for 104.7 and 100.7.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic