Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The Zone is back

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Deleted User 14990

Re: The Zone is back

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:59 am

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:36 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:18 am
Looks like this has been in the works since at least October 22.

https://www.facebook.com/1007TheZone

Those who found the prior iteration of The Zone's playlist too soft/feminine might find the new iteration of the station to be much more acceptable.

Artists heard so far:
- Audioslave
- Fall Out Boy (OK, they suck)
- Linkin Park
- Highly Suspect
- Skillet (not a fan but considered an artist suitable for either active or alt rock radio)
- Marilyn Manson
- Dirty Honey
- Volbeat

This is definitely an active rock-leaning alternative station in the vein of the retooled 105.1 in Kansas City.

With 89X's signal being shit in much of greater Toledo ever since 88.9 WTPG boosted power and with WIOT gaining on WXKR in the ratings in recent periods, this seems like a good move to me.
I was listening to them some this morning. I'm not going to delete Pandora and listen exclusively to the Zone or anything, but it does sound pretty good. Definitely leaning harder than the Zone was from 2013-16 when they'd play shit like Lorde and Gnarls Barkley. Nice to hear harder rock without Def Leppard and Bon Jovi mixed in every other song.

Power108

Post by Power108 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:45 am

Is it just me or is the audio sound terrible? sounds like an AM station.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:51 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:58 am
As I'm typing this - the station is airing a Polka music show. Brokered time - obviously. Funny stuff!!!
I'm not in the area to hear it myself, but am told Polka Party's Sharon Zablocki is not there too often anymore and RJ is doing the show most times. Shocked that's still on. When I'm back in T-Town, I'll have to take a listen, since I could not get a stream of 100.7. That show used to be a nice attempt to be local. Now it's gotten too cheap to air, and the demo is too small for any ratings. Then add in the historical host's not being on anymore, for various reasons.

FYI... Sharon must sell her own show slots. If she is too Ill to go to Toledo from Techumpseh, maybe that's the time to declare the show's time of death.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:14 pm

Hearing polka music on FM is always a treat. :)

There's a show on Grand Rapids radio that's been around for several decades, too. For the longest time, it was only available on a daytime AM station there with 500 watts. Now, that same station has two FM translators. The show continued airing even when the rest of the station featured Regional Mexican and Urban AC music formats. (Today, that same station runs a Classic Country format.)

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:19 am

The Polka Party spot slots usually are a year long contract. Wonder if Ron Hindman (RJ) is there to fulfill the rest of the year's contractual obligations with advertisers. Could the show finally be ending? It's not like the Polka Party ever evolved or gained much traction lately. Also, it's not a ratings grabber, beyond a few hundred ears.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:36 am

The Polka party started on WTOD 1560 back in the 50s, I believe. Sharon is The Late Chet Zablocki's 2nd wife. His first wife died I think sometime in the 1980s, and he remarried. Sharon has carried on the show, I know nothing about her, but if she is in poor health and driving alone from Tecumseh, early on a Sunday morning then its probably time to hang it up.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:16 pm

WZRC 1067 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:36 am
The Polka party started on WTOD 1560 back in the 50s, I believe. Sharon is The Late Chet Zablocki's 2nd wife. His first wife died I think sometime in the 1980s, and he remarried. Sharon has carried on the show, I know nothing about her, but if she is in poor health and driving alone from Tecumseh, early on a Sunday morning then its probably time to hang it up.
Exactly! She was having problems getting to the station, when she lived by Southwyck. Her Southwyck location was not conducive to Marti the show back to Arlington or the KKO TX, like her Hill Ave house was. I suspect things are now allot worse. She had some major chronic health issues.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:21 am

Isn't there a Toledo Polka band that actually got a Grammy nomination 20 years back? They ought to keep ole Chet Zablocki's Polka Party on the air as the longest running show on radio, since "Patterns in Music" got dumped from WJR some years back- Mike Deja had a great show until his very untimely passing and I think P-I-M had the record for the longest running show on Michigan radio stations at that time?

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:14 pm

The audio DOES sound really compressed. My car radio's stereo indicator remains on listening to it otherwise I would think it was mono. They need to adjust the levels to account for it being a music station now.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:48 pm

WOHO wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:21 am
Isn't there a Toledo Polka band that actually got a Grammy nomination 20 years back? They ought to keep ole Chet Zablocki's Polka Party on the air as the longest running show on radio, since "Patterns in Music" got dumped from WJR some years back- Mike Deja had a great show until his very untimely passing and I think P-I-M had the record for the longest running show on Michigan radio stations at that time?
Think about it... "longest ran" can be seen as "longest drain" on the stock markets. That is Cumulus' number one priority. Always was. Please the shareholders who own the stock. Not like they get dividends. It's time to let it go. No streams for growing audiences, past talent gone or currently failing in health, low grade audio and signal, crappy billing... $75 per quarter hour. Yep, time to cut it loose!

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:28 pm

Or they could diversify the program and report on other aspects of Polish culture. The firing squad lining up in a circle, the hockey team at spring training, 1492 and 1776 being connecting hotel rooms, etc.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:12 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:28 pm
Or they could diversify the program and report on other aspects of Polish culture. The firing squad lining up in a circle, the hockey team at spring training, 1492 and 1776 being connecting hotel rooms, etc.
How will Sharon do the show prep? She is not tech savvy. She has no hold on Polish culture, other than by marriage. Plus, money is king in the Arlington building. If folks still want talk, they have at least 4 other choices to go to. Cumulus wants music, not talk. If that were not true, they would not have brought The Zone back. I doubt it was to clear barter, since barter spots are a no-no during polarizing programming. Besides, Cumulus does not have 18-34's with talk radio. With Alternative, they have all age range demos under 64, besides 6+.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:40 am

It still would be a needed community service. I listened today and Sharon sounded great. You can go listen to the Imagine Dragons somewhere else for an hour.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:52 am

CurlyHoward wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:40 am
It still would be a needed community service. I listened today and Sharon sounded great. You can go listen to the Imagine Dragons somewhere else for an hour.
They probably will. Radio is dying, since many cannot control what they hear, which includes stopsets. Contact show is community service.

BTW, Polka Party is more than an hour long. Always had been, unless Clyde took it off the air, for Sharon giving away too much air time or not selling the slots agreed upon. Yes, I can confirm that has happened. She had it taken away at one point.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic