Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Another horrendous book for Q105

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Another horrendous book for Q105

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:32 pm

I agree that such a move would be a good idea for 105.5. Station is in desperate need of fresh ears. Christmas music would certainly provide that.

Time to completely scrap 105.5's current identity and start over. If Cumulus wants to stick with a female friendly format, fine. Bring back the "Star 105" name, make some changes to the DJ line-up, and flip the station to a Bright AC format that features a lot of music from the station's 90's / early 00's heyday. I'd even bring back the Z100 jingle package the station once used.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:37 am

I remember The Youngstown Station was Rock 104, prior to Oldies. Yeah seems like the right time, they could get better numbers with Xmas music at this point.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:02 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:32 pm
I'd even bring back the Z100 jingle package the station once used.
I know it was not "Star" that used TM Century jingles. Their jingle are thin and lifeless... just like K100's current package, due to Cumulus now owning TM imaging, formerly TM Century and Century 21 jingles.

Star used Thompson Creative's "Star 94" package for their jingles. Same was for "105 FM." Thompson again.

Thompson Creative and ReelWorld have the best jingles, that stand out, while complementing the music. TM jingles compete with the music, making the jingles sound awkward....Hint Jerry at K100.

"101.5- The River" is very bright AC, if not Hot AC... just not by name. Very upbeat! Almost as upbeat as Q105. Granted, neither are as hot as "Pride Radio." Kiss is not even as bright.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:21 pm

You're thinking too far back, I believe.

I'm talking about the jingles the station was using in the 1999 to 2001 timeframe. 95 WVIC in Lansing used the same jingles in the early/mid 90's before dumping Top 40.

The music notes at the very start of the Top of Hour ID made it obvious the package was originally designed for either Z100 (whether of the New York or Portland, OR variety) or potentially Y100 in Miami.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:20 pm

1999 was just after WWWM became "Star 105." Once again, Thompson Creative Jingles, with the late Brian James as the VO/Imaging voice. That was when Steve Marshall took over as PD from Ron Finn. No TM Century jingles for Z100 or ZForce or regenerated KIIS jingles that Z100 used. They kept the Thompson jingles for years, probably til 2005. By then, the jingles clashed with the alternative leaning Hot AC format and got dropped. Are you sure it was not "Star 105" in Waukeegan/Zion IL?

burytheneedle

Post by burytheneedle » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:08 am

A bit off topic, but I think there were a few PD's in between Finn and Marshall, before it went back to Ron Finn in late 2000s. Todd Micheals and Brian Casey come to mind. I think Steve Marshall had the best run with the Star brand.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:58 pm

burytheneedle wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:08 am
A bit off topic, but I think there were a few PD's in between Finn and Marshall, before it went back to Ron Finn in late 2000s. Todd Micheals and Brian Casey come to mind. I think Steve Marshall had the best run with the Star brand.
Steve...when you see this, can you refresh our memories. I know you are still on here. I remember Brian Casey and the "closet" studio, the leaky sales ceiling and the radioactive Engineering/equipment room (Pete's old office). I remember Timmy saying he got cancer from the old transmitters across from the old studio, in front of the prod room, where Gysin was.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:09 pm

1999 was just after WWWM became "Star 105." Once again, Thompson Creative Jingles, with the late Brian James as the VO/Imaging voice
You are correct; Brian James was indeed doing their V/O's at the time!

I'll be damned; so those jingles were not originally purposed for Z100 or Y100?

The sound the station sported from the late 90's to mid/late 00's was perfect. Of course, Jan Jeffries had to ruin a good thing (has there even been a corporate programmer who was a bigger piece of crap than Jan Jeffries?).

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:57 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:09 pm

has there even been a corporate programmer who was a bigger piece of crap than Jan Jeffries?).
I was never enthused about the queen that programmed the "Rock Block" at that same time. Forgot his name though. The late Larry Bloom was not so great either.

Also, the station was forced to emulate Atlanta's "Star 94" in every way.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:01 am

Time to blow-up the station. Christmas music would be a great start. There is no "listen at work" station in Toledo anymore, and that's what is needed with a lite station, or go for the gold, and take the Bob Kelly idea - listening to LPFM 97.7 - for a high school 100watt station, damn good programming and engineering and there is at least a 2 share for a gold oldies station rather than a 1.8 and cheaper to run.

Hey TeddyBear- I was granted access to the "transmitter from hell building" and it still gives me nightmares: no lights, floor covered in what I don't want to know, ceiling hanging down, but the 1970's Harris transmitter was there and the double sized Gates phasor, but the tube "radiation bomb" Gates transmitter was replaced with a plastic POS transmitter toy as they Dickey's couldn't spend a couple grand on a nice transmitter for 1470, nor fix the grounds on the towers, hence a building ready for the City of Oregon to bulldoze since they scrapped the four towers for steel.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:37 pm

I think a 90's-to-Now playlist (with some surprises tossed in on occasion from the 80's), a more mature sounding presentation, and a return to the Star 105 name would do wonders for 105.5.

My concern, though, is Cumulus would do all those things and then fuck it up by putting the Bert Show in morning drive.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:18 pm

So... in other Markets The Cloud has dumped unsuccessful stations for Christmas, Now would be a golden opportunity to take some market share away from The River and launch something new on 105. Just Sayin...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:51 am

The fact Cumulus hasn't gone all-Christmas on 105.5 is asinine.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:10 pm

WOHO wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:01 am
Time to blow-up the station. Christmas music would be a great start. There is no "listen at work" station in Toledo anymore, and that's what is needed with a lite station, or go for the gold, and take the Bob Kelly idea - listening to LPFM 97.7 - for a high school 100watt station, damn good programming and engineering and there is at least a 2 share for a gold oldies station rather than a 1.8 and cheaper to run.

Hey TeddyBear- I was granted access to the "transmitter from hell building" and it still gives me nightmares: no lights, floor covered in what I don't want to know, ceiling hanging down, but the 1970's Harris transmitter was there and the double sized Gates phasor, but the tube "radiation bomb" Gates transmitter was replaced with a plastic POS transmitter toy as they Dickey's couldn't spend a couple grand on a nice transmitter for 1470, nor fix the grounds on the towers, hence a building ready for the City of Oregon to bulldoze since they scrapped the four towers for steel.
That building was very nice when I worked there, but that was 30+ years ago. In fact, most of the inside had just been remodeled. The place was Mid century modern. Lew Sr. had a cleaning crew who kept the place spotless. The building did have the 1950s mod butterfly roof. Those require serious maintenance when they get old. When I was hired, WOHO was next door, sharing the little building with production, and Stratford Research. 3WM was in the little studio in the front...the big studio in the center of the building was unused. When I left, WOHO had moved to the little studio where 3WM had been. 3WM was in the big studio, with all new equipment. Buddy Carr told me, "It feels good to be back in here" Pete always said he learned quickly to build everything on wheels. I never got along with Pete. He was a bit too cheerful for me. :lol

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:29 pm

There in '79, Buddy Carr was in the big studio for WOHO, between big studio and front window was a large makeshift studio for Z105 reel to reel and cart automation, West of that was a nice production studio, 2 open reel decks, 2 turntables, full mixer, cart recorder and players. NW of that was dinky news studio with ancient equipment next to two thermal teletypes- AP & UPI. Tiny closet 'traffic scanner' room & engineer. Nice place. So in 89 moved 3WM back to big studio with glass everywhere you could make sure smoke wasn't coming out of the 1470 backup transmitter and take remote FM readings.

and, back on topic, 105 is stupid not the flank the river playing Christmas music just to screw them three or four points cashing in the advertising for a month

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic