All accepted registrations through January 19, 2019 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Gray/Raycom deal officially done, WTOL now a Tegna station

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Gray/Raycom deal officially done, WTOL now a Tegna station

Post by mtburb » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:19 pm

This was announced just tonight.
https://www.marketscreener.com/GRAY-TEL ... -27815655/

Would be very interesting to see Tegna's graphics pop up sometime soon on WTOL/WUPW.

Your thoughts?

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

EnbyCee

Re: Gray/Raycom deal officially done, WTOL now a Tegna station

Post by EnbyCee » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:39 pm

Uh, most of us don't automatically know what Tegna's graphics look like. Do you have any examples?

mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Post by mtburb » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:57 pm

EnbyCee wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:39 pm
Uh, most of us don't automatically know what Tegna's graphics look like. Do you have any examples?
What I can tell you for now is that WTOL is currently having some sort of identity crisis-for now, they're still using the final Raycom graphics, but their copyright tag now shows this:

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

EnbyCee

Post by EnbyCee » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:25 am

Well, I'm not surprised they wouldn't make H*** changes right away. Toledo is very much a "don't rock the boat" kind of place, a lot of people's idea of living the dream is retiring from the same plant Dad did. Plenty still call WTOL "Toledo Eleven" and WIOT "FM 104" even though neither has advertised itself as such for a long time now.

What's Tegna's reputation as a station owner? IMO, Raycom kind of ran WTOL on the cheap by the end and it showed with their news falling behind WTVG after having been #1 here for decades.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:49 pm

This is what you'll soon be seeing on WTOL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11eKCc9rrOE

The music package is “C Clarity” by Sixième Son... you either love it or hate it. And yes, they saved on the budget for vowels with the “NXT” teasers. Graphics aren't that bad... the 2012 graphics package Gannett commissioned had a bit better functionality (the companion music theme with that 2012 package? "This Is Home!") but I give TEGNA credit for minimizing things.

As long as TEGNA doesn’t interfere too much with things (and they don't that much with WKYC, there are some dog stations in the chain like WTSP that TEGNA corporate micromanages), WTOL/WUPW will more than hold their own. Remember that Toledo is a de facto two-station news town.

EnbyCee

Post by EnbyCee » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:31 pm

I don't mind the graphics or music. Sounds like it fits a serious newscast, which is what WTOL/WUPW should be going for as opposed to WTVG constantly patting itself on the back playing "This Is Home!" and Jeff Smith and Sashem Brey giggling at themselves every 2 minutes.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:04 pm

Someone please tell me that Gray won't put CBS on 13.2 beside ABC on 13.1 (see KVLY -only they added CBS to NBC in that case), and leave WTOL as a big pack of 480i subchannels (see KXJB).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic