Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Sports radio in Toledo

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Deleted User 10525

Sports radio in Toledo

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:23 pm

First off, I realize Toledo isn't in Detroit, Chicago, or even Cleveland. However, for a big sports town, sports radio is beyond pathetic. I have similar sized markets where an FM sports station is at least getting high 2's to low to mid 3's on a regular basis. The choices are 1230, which is a hodge podge of all syndicated fox sports and brokered programming. Then a spotty rim shot signal that's 45 minutes away from town, that airs nothing but ESPN feed 21 hours or so a day.

The lack of Detroit Tigers games has been discussed to death but it still remains. Sports could make an impact if it was put on a signal that reaches the whole market(or at least has a simulcast signal or translator) and at least has 2 local day parts, a full 3 hour afternoon drive is a must. The same listeners who listen to rock radio, typically listen to sports radio as well. So... I think there is a major disconnect here. Rant out.

Myron Falwell

Re: Sports radio in Toledo

Post by Myron Falwell » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:00 pm

If 1230 would have ever made any impact, it would have been in the mid-late 2000s, but a brokered smooth jazz show (in morning drive!) and a simulcast of Denny's webcast clogged up the 6a-12p hours. And didn't they have a brokered host in mornings before that who got into loads of trouble and gave the station all sorts of headaches? Troy Neff? No one at iHeart has taken WCWA seriously since the late 1990s, if that.

Splitting 1470 and 106.5 was dumb, losing ESPN Radio for CBSSR was dumber, letting WMTR have uncontested free reign as a Tigers affiliate for the entire Toledo market was cosmically dumb. But at the same time, the Dickeys let the 1470 facility just rot away... there was no future for it, sports or no sports.

I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

Deleted User 10525

Re: Sports radio in Toledo

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:57 am

Agreed, It was stupid to split the simulcast. Back in the day, with T.he Ticket just being on 1470, they still managed to get in the low 2's almost all the time. They need to move the format 105.5, Go local in at least a couple day parts. The Whole "ESPN 106.5 The ticket" is a mouth full, how about just " Toledo's sports station, 106.5 The Ticket".

If I-H had any brains they would pair 1230 with 103.7, flip it to sports. Obviously, brokered programming would be separate and only on 1230, which is mainly on The weekends anyway. All the stuff that's on 106.5 would flock there, I-H isn't big on the sports format so that would be a stretch there. Won't happen but J/S.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic