All accepted registrations through July 14 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

NBC 24 throwing in the towel

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Radiofreewill
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:11 pm
Location: Classified

Re: NBC 24 throwing in the towel

Post by Radiofreewill » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:39 pm

24's newscast won't be the only one hubbed out of South Bend...

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2016/1 ... miles-away


Radiogoon wrote:
Steve Bauer wrote:Clinging to old technology is soooo sexy.
Damn skippy...real radios glow in the dark bizzatch.

Toledo Radio Died
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:57 pm
Location: Dayton, Ohio

Re: NBC 24 throwing in the towel

Post by Toledo Radio Died » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:03 pm

I've been thinking about NBC 24 lately, wondering when Sinclair was going to do something with this station? Of course this is not quite what I had in mind, Recently Sinclair just built a nice newsroom for WKRC in Cincinnati. Plus FOX 45/ABC 22 have nice set up themselves, hoping Sinclair was going to do the same for 24. Good point, WNWO should've had their news produced by WDIV or WKYC not from South Bend.



User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: NBC 24 throwing in the towel

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:18 pm

EnbyCee wrote:The worst part is it being outsourced to South Bend. If it were a station in Detroit or Cleveland, or even Columbus, Dayton, or Cincy, that's one thing, those are places with economic and cultural ties to Toledo. South Bend is a smaller market, 2 1/2 hours away, the area between Toledo and South Bend is mostly very thinly populated by east-of-the-Mississippi standards. And as soon as you cross into Indiana, it's where people begin looking towards Chicago and rooting for the Cubs, Bears and Blackhawks instead of looking towards Detroit or Cleveland and rooting for those teams. I think I'm gonna watch 24 once this changeover happens just to hear the South Bend crew butchering reports on Toledo news.
It is sad they couldn't find someplace closer, at least within the state.
WOHO wrote:Valid point NBC; why don't they move the SB news to Toledo, building up the WNWO infrastructure, and WE give South Bend their news? Aren't we a larger TV market than SB, other than the Notre Dame thing? They have to have better anchors and meteorologists (Norm) than what they have in SB, I would think?
Even when WDHO had their field reports on film, they still didn't throw in the towel, they just kept rolling along with Dave Carlson, Jim Tishey and their anchor of the month, whom I don't recall.
It does seem like an unfair choice but I suppose comparing UT's team to Notre Dame was enough (to those stockholders, notoriety is everything).
Radiofreewill wrote:24's newscast won't be the only one hubbed out of South Bend...

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2016/1 ... miles-away
Peculiar item of note here...
While all this is going on, the NAB and other lobbyist are pushing the Trump administration to relax ownership rules even more.

While station groups will continue to line their pockets with cash, the viewer and Journalism as a whole is getting screwed.

Just saying....


This is no different from what the Reagan Administration did 30 years ago. Local TV is being compromised and downgraded further. We ought to be lucky we even have local news around (Akron certainly lost out due to its close approximation to the Cleveland market).
Toledo Radio Died wrote:I've been thinking about NBC 24 lately, wondering when Sinclair was going to do something with this station? Of course this is not quite what I had in mind, Recently Sinclair just built a nice newsroom for WKRC in Cincinnati. Plus FOX 45/ABC 22 have nice set up themselves, hoping Sinclair was going to do the same for 24. Good point, WNWO should've had their news produced by WDIV or WKYC not from South Bend.
It's really a waste of money and resources the way they're going about it. Detroit would've been logical at that.



User avatar
rugratsonline
Posts: 267
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:20 pm

Re: NBC 24 throwing in the towel

Post by rugratsonline » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:24 pm

Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Toledo Radio Died wrote:IWNWO should've had their news produced by WDIV or WKYC not from South Bend.
It's really a waste of money and resources the way they're going about it. Detroit would've been logical at that.
Too bad Sinclair doesn't own stations in Detroit or Cleveland, as they would rather "keep it in the family" instead of relying on "strangers".



User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: NBC 24 throwing in the towel

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:18 pm

rugratsonline wrote:
Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Toledo Radio Died wrote:IWNWO should've had their news produced by WDIV or WKYC not from South Bend.
It's really a waste of money and resources the way they're going about it. Detroit would've been logical at that.
Too bad Sinclair doesn't own stations in Detroit or Cleveland, as they would rather "keep it in the family" instead of relying on "strangers".
Who's to bet the South Bend guys will pronounce "Lagrange Street" like that Japanese cartoon!



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4637
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: NBC 24 throwing in the towel

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:30 pm

Indeed, it is odd that the newscast for 24 is being produced in South Bend as opposed to Dayton or Columbus (both reasonably nearby cities where Sinclair already owns major network affiliates with their own local newscasts).

That said - I do have to say the local news product at WSYX in Columbus, OH is mediocre. That station is vastly inferior to WBNS-TV (channel 10) and not quite as inferior to WCMH-TV (channel 4).


MEMO TO 89-EX: FIX YOUR SHITTY SOUNDING AUDIO!! WE CAN HARDLY HEAR THE FRIGGIN' STATION! Thanks in advance.

User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: NBC 24 throwing in the towel

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:17 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:Indeed, it is odd that the newscast for 24 is being produced in South Bend as opposed to Dayton or Columbus (both reasonably nearby cities where Sinclair already owns major network affiliates with their own local newscasts).

That said - I do have to say the local news product at WSYX in Columbus, OH is mediocre. That station is vastly inferior to WBNS-TV (channel 10) and not quite as inferior to WCMH-TV (channel 4).
Now I wonder about Dayton's newscasts (assuming how they stack up)?



Toledo Radio Died
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:57 pm
Location: Dayton, Ohio

Re: NBC 24 throwing in the towel

Post by Toledo Radio Died » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:52 pm

Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:Indeed, it is odd that the newscast for 24 is being produced in South Bend as opposed to Dayton or Columbus (both reasonably nearby cities where Sinclair already owns major network affiliates with their own local newscasts).

That said - I do have to say the local news product at WSYX in Columbus, OH is mediocre. That station is vastly inferior to WBNS-TV (channel 10) and not quite as inferior to WCMH-TV (channel 4).
Now I wonder about Dayton's newscasts (assuming how they stack up)?
Definitely a world of difference between NBC 24 and ABC 22/FOX 45 newscasts, understanding the two stations combined are always going to add more Revenue to produce a better newscast.



Radio Sucks
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 4:48 pm

Re: NBC 24 throwing in the towel

Post by Radio Sucks » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:04 am

Sinclair is full of marketing morons.. There are two contests on their website for "sports experiences" - one with the Chicago Blackhawks and the other with the New York Giants. Both SO desirable in Toledo...

http://nbc24.com/station



Radiofreewill
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:11 pm
Location: Classified

Re: NBC 24 throwing in the towel

Post by Radiofreewill » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:27 am

EnbyCee wrote:Norm Van Ness is first to go, happened to catch the news after the football game last night and he said it was his last broadcast on 24. Hope he lands somewhere, he does a solid job with the weather without hamming it up like other Toledo weathermen.
"NORM KNOWS" which way the winds are blowing.


Radiogoon wrote:
Steve Bauer wrote:Clinging to old technology is soooo sexy.
Damn skippy...real radios glow in the dark bizzatch.

User avatar
WOHO
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:05 am
Location: Cumulus has killed 1470 KHz

Re: NBC 24 throwing in the towel

Post by WOHO » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:13 pm

I think Norm actually came from a major market too back in 2004 he mentioned something about coming here from Denver.
He's a good guy- too bad Toledo isn't the base for Sinclair's news operation.



User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: NBC 24 throwing in the towel

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:48 am

Radio Sucks wrote:Sinclair is full of marketing morons.. There are two contests on their website for "sports experiences" - one with the Chicago Blackhawks and the other with the New York Giants. Both SO desirable in Toledo...

http://nbc24.com/station
Such a bland website.
WOHO wrote:I think Norm actually came from a major market too back in 2004 he mentioned something about coming here from Denver.
He's a good guy- too bad Toledo isn't the base for Sinclair's news operation.
Sad they couldn't go with Toledo over South Bend (given the way it geographically makes sense to me).

Reminded yesterday I happened to past by their studio, thinking they still had that giant peacock logo on the front, but I guess Sinclair bothered spending wad for a new, smaller peacock!

BEFORE:
Image

AFTER:
Image



Wood1000
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:44 am

Re: NBC 24 throwing in the towel

Post by Wood1000 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:04 pm

Looks like two more at nbc24 calls it quits today. Kayla Strayer and Elyse Chengery. Both have post on there facebook pages. Sad day.



User avatar
siriusXM
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:30 pm
Location: high above terrestrial radio

Re: NBC 24 throwing in the towel

Post by siriusXM » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:17 pm

AFTER:
Image[/quote]

There are also some big blocks now in front of the entrance. Just in case you thought about crashing into their party.



User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: NBC 24 throwing in the towel

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:38 am

siriusXM wrote:There are also some big blocks now in front of the entrance. Just in case you thought about crashing into their party.
Don't recall any bars nearby, but it wouldn't surprise me if they had a few troublemakers showing up. Practically on the outskirts given the street their on next to a lot of usual warehouse operations.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic