All accepted registrations through July 14 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

NBC 24 throwing in the towel

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Radiofreewill

NBC 24 throwing in the towel

Post by Radiofreewill » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:29 am

Now might be a good time to get your résumé and reel together.

EDIT: Here's the story: http://www.toledoblade.com/TV-Radio/201 ... oyees.html

Radiogoon wrote:
Steve Bauer wrote:Clinging to old technology is soooo sexy.
Damn skippy...real radios glow in the dark bizzatch.

Some Guy from Toledo

Re: NBC 24 throwing in the towel

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:05 pm

EnbyCee wrote:What a joke. They'd actually built a halfway decent news operation over the past couple of years, although they'd driven the station's brand so far into the ground for decades that the ratings haven't reflected it, and NOW they're outsourcing things to South Bend? Merry Christmas to everyone who works there. Another part of Toledo media falls victim to bean counters.
It's a shame.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:43 pm

Feel sorry for those that are losing there job.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:44 pm

MasterB wrote:Feel sorry for those that are losing there job.
Someone should smash that precious NBC peacock logo off their building!

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:28 pm

24 has never really been able to be a major competitor. Back in the day it was a bit of a low tech joke compared to 11. Not surprised though.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:16 pm

1027BrianFM wrote:24 has never really been able to be a major competitor. Back in the day it was a bit of a low tech joke compared to 11. Not surprised though.
Glad I have this to whip out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB-InIVLDug

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:31 am

Damn that's a shame; they have top talent with Laura Emerson, Kristy Leigh, even the meteorologists are decent.
How are they going to cover local sports- or have they abandoned that program all together?

I have to give them a lot of credit, because they've always tried with news at WDHO/WNWO, and back in 2007-2010 their "Friday Night Frenzy" sports segments were excellent and super local- I preferred them to 11 & 13. They've tried harder than Detroit's CBS62 to have a real local newscast.

Crap, consolidations have destroyed the radio market as we once knew it, and now TV is following suit, just 20 years later.
The POS FCC TV auction isn't helping matters any either- who knows, WNWO's owners might have sold-off their RF49 signal, so OTA viewers will be screwed without cable?

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:34 pm

WOHO wrote:Damn that's a shame; they have top talent with Laura Emerson, Kristy Leigh, even the meteorologists are decent.
How are they going to cover local sports- or have they abandoned that program all together?

I have to give them a lot of credit, because they've always tried with news at WDHO/WNWO, and back in 2007-2010 their "Friday Night Frenzy" sports segments were excellent and super local- I preferred them to 11 & 13. They've tried harder than Detroit's CBS62 to have a real local newscast.

Crap, consolidations have destroyed the radio market as we once knew it, and now TV is following suit, just 20 years later.
The POS FCC TV auction isn't helping matters any either- who knows, WNWO's owners might have sold-off their RF49 signal, so OTA viewers will be screwed without cable?
Probably.

I look back to this documentary I've seen and it's still pretty relevant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAFpGCKl3Mg

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:52 pm

Oh my That clip above is beyond primitive. Was looking for clips with Don Edwards.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:55 am

1027BrianFM wrote:Oh my That clip above is beyond primitive. Was looking for clips with Don Edwards.
Don't have any of that, but I just love this one!

Here's one from the 80's...
https://youtu.be/IjNb1_BEjxE?t=57s

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:53 am

News imported from South Bend??? WHY EVEN BOTHER???

Now we know why 24 only received a partial graphics overhaul and didn't receive the new studio that other recently acquired Sinclair stations received.

MEMO TO 89-EX: FIX YOUR SHITTY SOUNDING AUDIO!! WE CAN HARDLY HEAR THE FRIGGIN' STATION! Thanks in advance.

Radiofreewill

Post by Radiofreewill » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:58 am

I suppose it's too late to replace the 11pm with M*A*S*H reruns.

Radiogoon wrote:
Steve Bauer wrote:Clinging to old technology is soooo sexy.
Damn skippy...real radios glow in the dark bizzatch.

burytheneedle

Post by burytheneedle » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:00 am

Anyone know how this works? I'm guessing the people that stay local will basically be feeding content to the anchors in SB, who will then send it back to 24 for air?

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:15 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:News imported from South Bend??? WHY EVEN BOTHER???

Now we know why 24 only received a partial graphics overhaul and didn't receive the new studio that other recently acquired Sinclair stations received.
And the only reason they can't have local news is because NBC wouldn't want it anyway! Sinclair can't back out of that corner.
burytheneedle wrote:Anyone know how this works? I'm guessing the people that stay local will basically be feeding content to the anchors in SB, who will then send it back to 24 for air?
I'm sure that's how it's going to work. They'll still need someone switching dials in their control hub. Those guys are never gone unless they're really that fully automated.

It does seem pretty redundant to go through such a runaround like that.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:47 am

Valid point NBC; why don't they move the SB news to Toledo, building up the WNWO infrastructure, and WE give South Bend their news? Aren't we a larger TV market than SB, other than the Notre Dame thing? They have to have better anchors and meteorologists (Norm) than what they have in SB, I would think?
Even when WDHO had their field reports on film, they still didn't throw in the towel, they just kept rolling along with Dave Carlson, Jim Tishey and their anchor of the month, whom I don't recall.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic